Directors Who Started Strong, Then Went Downhill

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just my opinion (obviously), because I know that last movie is well-loved on IMDB, but I would go with Francois Truffaut. He made his best with his first one "400 Blows". His next one, "Shoot The Piano Player" was good, not great. "Jules and Jim" is decent, and then "Fahrenheit 451" and "Day For Night"

Make a better place
Alex Garland? maybe
although he only made 3 movies, so it's too early to judge but the downward trend is there and it's apparent

Ex Machina - Great

Annihilation - OK/Good

Men - Rubbish

John Carpenter

Ridley Scott?

Rob Reiner

Alex Proyas - started off so strong with The Crow and Dark City but it starts falling off really quick after that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dario Argento, Jing Wong, and... @Swan
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Alex Garland? maybe
although he only made 3 movies, so it's too early to judge but the downward trend is there and it's apparent

Ex Machina - Great

Annihilation - OK/Good

Men - Rubbish
I think Annihilation is gorgeous, but Men was, indeed, abysmal beyond belief. I can see how Annihilation can be seen as overly ambitious compared to the snappier Ex Machina, and it’s a fair point.

Michael RItchie. Just kidding.
I would say Neill Blomkamp. It's too bad his Alien project never got off the ground.
Agreed. Beast was pathetic by his standards (though fine on its own merits if you forget what he can make). Then again, I’m addicted to Sharlto Copley’s face, so…

Edit: ignore that, I’m losing it. Now, I’m glad he didn’t direct it! Thank God for small favours!

Agreed. Beast was pathetic by his standards (though fine on its own merits if you forget what he can make). Then again, I’m addicted to Sharlto Copley’s face, so…
Baltasar Kormákur directed Beast. That seems like something in Blomkamp's wheelhouse and Copley is basically his muse, so I don't blame you for mixing them up.
Speaking of Copley, you oughta check out Europa Report. He pulls off one of the more convincing American accents I've heard lately.

Baltasar Kormákur directed Beast. That seems like something in Blomkamp's wheelhouse and Copley is basically his muse, so I don't blame you for mixing them up.
Speaking of Copley, you oughta check out Europa Report. He pulls off one of the more convincing American accents I've heard lately.
How weird! The thing is that I… knew that? It just escaped my brain at the time when I wrote that post. Very Lynchian.

Yes, I have had an incredibly challenging week at work.

How weird! The thing is that I… knew that? It just escaped my brain at the time when I wrote that post. Very Lynchian.

Yes, I have had an incredibly challenging week at work.
Clearly, Copley addiction is no laughing matter.

Steven Spielberg...it's been about 20 years since he did a masterpiece.

Francis Ford Coppola...had flashes of resurgence but after 83' it's been pretty rough

Brian De Palma....a wonderful filmmaker on an 0-8 run and the thing is the films could have been hits but he just kept missing the mark.