2nd Chance Hall of Fame

Tools    

There are a couple of them on youtube; Glen or Glenda and Plan 9. Not sure, but I THINK Bride of Monster is as well. That one's iffy.

I should just watch Glen or Glenda to see Wood himself. Though I was hoping to see the person instead of him acting.
Glen or Glenda is pretty trippy and you can see Ed's girlfriend Dolores it it (she's the one that hands over her angora sweeter) and Bela is in it too. PULL THE STRING! ha

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Glen or Glenda is pretty trippy and you can see Ed's girlfriend Dolores it it (she's the one that hands over her angora sweeter) and Bela is in it too. PULL THE STRING! ha
I watched a comparison video with all the scenes from the movie and the Pull the String was in there. Pretty cool set up for that one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I actually thought about nominating an Ed Wood Jr film for the next Hof...When I first watched Ed Wood I had NO idea who the real Ed Wood Jr. was, but I remedied that by watching this:

Admittedly some of the films are just plain bad, but there's some good stuff here too:

Disc One
GLEN OR GLENDA? (1953) – The cross-dressing classic that started it all, with Wood as a triple threat – writer, director, and star, along with future Plan 9 co-stars Bela Lugosi, Dolores Fuller, Lyle Talbot, and Conrad Brooks.

JAIL BAIT (1954) – Ed Wood goes film noir with this cautionary tale of a naïve young man who is lured into a life of crime. Dolores Fuller and Lyle Talbot co-star once again, and future Hercules Unchained star Steve Reeves has his first speaking role in this film as a police lieutenant.

BRIDE OF THE MONSTER (1955) – One of Wood’s most-celebrated...er...creations, with Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist who kidnaps people and tries to turn them into super-men using atomic power. Tor Johnson and Paul Marco make their Ed Wood debuts as Lobo and Kelton the Cop, dis-respectively.

THE VIOLENT YEARS (1956) – Wood penned the script for this good-girls-gone-bad tale, helmed by veteran western director William Morgan. In something of a switch from Glen or Glenda, the girls dress up as boys in order to commit their crimes! Timothy Farrell of Glen or Glenda and Jail Bait is the only Ed Wood returnee here.

Disc Two
NIGHT OF THE GHOULS (1959) – Wood is back behind the megaphone again as the director and writer of this strange tale that is arguably worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space (if such a thing is possible). Western star Kenne Duncan is Dr. Acula (get it?), a phony spiritualist who conducts fake séances. Tor Johnson and Paul Marco reprise their perennial roles as Lobo and Kelton the Cop.

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959) – Wood’s piece de resistance (or piece of something). The grand-prize winner of so many so-bad-it’s-good lists, this horror/sci-fi curiosity has something to do with evil (and kinda bitchy) aliens who come to earth and resurrect the dead, using these vampire-zombies to help them take over the world. Starring Wood favorites Lyle Talbot, Tor Johnson, Paul Marco, Bela Lugosi, and Tom Mason (Wood’s wife’s chiropractor) as Bela’s double (since Lugosi died before principal photography had commenced).

BONUS FEATURE: The Ed Wood Story – An affectionate look at E.W. featuring clips and interviews with those who knew and admired him, including Dolores Fuller, Johnny Depp, and Martin Landau.
Jail Bate, The Violent Years and Plan Nine From Outer Space would be my favorites.

Jute a note for those of you who are planning to send in a list for the upcoming MoFo Horror Movies Countdown. These movies are tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, so they're eligible for the countdown:

BRIDE OF THE MONSTER (1955)
NIGHT OF THE GHOULS (1959)
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959)

Jute a note for those of you who are planning to send in a list for the upcoming MoFo Horror Movies Countdown. These movies are tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, so they're eligible for the countdown:

Well, well, well

I've been reading through a VERY LONG list of movies tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, (over 26 thousand movies), trying to find movies to watch. You'd be surprised at some of the movies IMDB lists as "Horror". (I even found a bunch of kids movies, cartoons, and Disney movies tagged as "Horror" that are eligible for the countdown. )

I've been reading through a VERY LONG list of movies tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, (over 26 thousand movies), trying to find movies to watch. You'd be surprised at some of the movies IMDB lists as "Horror". (I even found a bunch of kids movies, cartoons, and Disney movies tagged as "Horror" that are eligible for the countdown. )
that's hilarious. Do you remember any of the Disney films that ranked as horror?

that's hilarious. Do you remember any of the Disney films that ranked as horror?

Yes, I've been keeping a list of all the horror-tagged movies that I might watch.

These are some of the Disney movies that I found on IMDB's Horror list:
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
The Black Cauldron (1985)
Return to Oz (1985)
Mickey's House of Villains (2001)
The Haunted Mansion (2003)
Frankenweenie (2012)

There are also Looney Tunes movies:
Bugs Bunny's Howl-oween Special (1977)
Daffy Duck's Quackbusters (1988)
Bugs Bunny's Creature Features (1992)
Tiny Toons' Night Ghoulery (1995)

And Scooby-Doo movies:
Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988)
Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy (2014)
Lego Scooby-Doo!: Haunted Hollywood (2016)

Alvin and the Chipmunks movies:
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman (2000)

A Batman animated movie:
The Batman vs. Dracula (2005 Video)

And even a Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movie:
Scared Stiff (1953)

And don't forget about all the Abbott and Costello movies:
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)

Return to Oz (1985)
That movie did creep me out a bit as a kid. Particularly the Wheelers.

I've never seen it, but I added to my watchlist for the Horror Countdown. (Although that picture might make me move it further down the list, even though it's a Disney movie. )

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
So let's tackle this. I'll start by the reviews of the movies I've seen enough times or recently enough to know to a point I don't need a rewatch.

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

This one has been going in and out my Top 10 during the last 3 years (when I first watched him). I revisited it recently and I was suprised how different was the effect it had on me compared to the first watch. I adored it but it made me feel quite depressive.
There's so much to write about this, and at the same time so little. As every Godard film, it's not about the plotline, it's about those little scenes, those small truths and opinions Godard just infuses the movie with. If you take the time to actually enjoy those moments instead of trying to understand every single piece of this, Pierrot le Fou will certainly move you.

Memento (2000)

This is the second Nolan film, and perhaps his best right after Dunkirk and that's because it's one of the very few of him I don't view as pretentious.
It has all those traits that eventually gave Nolan his faithful fanbase which are pretty much the same that annoy me a lot, but in here I kinda like them. Nolan keeps a very tight grip on a very complex plotline never letting the viewer get lost and never letting him guess what's coming at the same time, and that's perhaps the greatest strenght about this film. The acting is quite nice and the script is surprisingly well written.

The Man From Earth

Watched it 3 times already and I really really like this. It's impressive how tight it is with such a risky premise. The amount of plotholes this could have had is huge and still, the story is quite believable.
I loved how John Oldman is not portrayed as a super man, but as a man who only knows as much as his generation. I also think it was a nice decision on not delving into his pscychology too much and just let the dialogue stay on a philosophical level. Ultimately this film is not trying to convince you it's possible, it's just making you imagine what if it was possible.
Ah, and all the religion talk was perhaps my favourite subject.

+

When's the deadline on this?
Unless I missed something, this is what Raul said about the deadline.
Technically I haven't set a concrete deadline yet, so we have quite awhile. I've been toying with late January early February...

After Hours (1985)

What did I just watch???
I knew almost nothing about this, only that it was a comedy by Scorcese, and it took me totally by surprise.
So many random things randomly being connected to each other just left me totally dazy! I loved its fast pacing and how unexpected everything was. I especially liked the fact that the movie led me to believe that Paul would eventually be killed and desfigured as the news on his arm predicted and I'm quite happy that he didn't cause in all this maze I end really caring about the guy!

I can't really describe the film so sorry this write up is a mess.

-

Ed Wood (1994)

I find it hard to like this movie, to be honest. Tim Burton never impressed me, I find Johnny Depp a bit overrated and I don't really care for so-bad-that-are-good films. I also have no sympathy for stories like these ones, with talentless artists just throwing madness and passion at something expecting it finally works, but never really learning nothing in the process...

The one character for whom I felt some compassion was Bela Lugosi. If there's a thing this film does right is portraying the treatment an old film star gets after his prime. Lugosi shouldn't have to to films like these, he deserved respect for everything he did.

+

After Hours (1985)

This is a strange film and outside of its views of New York it doesn't really feel like it's made by Scorsese. The concept and sexual dynamics are so weirdly unlike Scorsese. Not that this a bad thing because I enjoyed it and it's a cool oddity in his filmography.

The experience is a well put together nightmare scenario for Paul Hackett. Steadily losing control and feeling trapped on a night out in this way would be terrifying haha. A lot of close up shots as you try to work out the motivations of who Paul is interacting with through their facial gives which I thought was a great way of capturing this WTF is going to happen next quality. That's maintained pretty well over the film's duration.

The thing that hurts this film in the context of this Hall of Fame is that whilst I like it, I don't have a strong impression on it. I think it's one of Scorsese's weaker features overall. I get the attempt to focus on many different aspects of SoHo nightlife but it reaches a point where I think reigning it in would have been more immersive. When I look at what else has been nominated, I can't see this doing well for me unless my opinion changes radically on the remaining films.