Tools    

The Lord of the Rings
Frozen (2010)
21 & Over (2013)
Gone Girl (2014)

Boyhood.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

yes I don't like sin city either, I thought parts of it were sick. There were young people in the theater, and afterwards a couple of them came up to us adults, and said "I don't think that was a good movie, did you?" And they didn't look very happy. there were teenagers, but most of them were really careful to mask their feelings after the film stopped.I also never liked "freaks", although it is very popular among old movie fans. I thought that was sick also, the way they used the freakish people, to seem horrible and monster-ish.it was the way that they were USED that bothered me.

you know, I just saw " boyhood" and all the horrible marriages, fighting, abuse and divorces and insecurity the kids had to go through,all the jerk –parent nagging,and all that stuff were hideous.is this being pawned off as a "normal childhood"? I would hate to think that this is what's known as "normal" now. I always thought that very dysfunctional abusive families like mine, were not normal. .the only good thing I can say about that main family is,the two kids didn't get pregnant and get married very early. That's about all the good I can say about it. But as for the way that the multiple parents trained and motivated their kids,that was terrible.

All that negative nagging was actually harmful.they did not accomplish what the mother or any of the fathers actually wanted; it just made the kids hate the way their parents lived, and everything they said. That's all it accomplished in the end.I'm not saying, kids don't need discipline and training, they do.but, it was the WAY that they did it.oh, and the mother became a psychologist,and I don't really remember her being honest, and saying to her kids "I completely f____ up, married the wrong people, and made a mess of my life and of yours.I'm sorry, I couldn't do any better at the time." Maybe it was too hard to admit it.

the final part where the mother says, "we're selling the house, you can't come back to it, you don't need a home to come back to, even to visit."(except for a small apartment.) It was the MANNER that she said it, like "I have to throw you out, you're not capable of going out into life at your own speed. GET OUT!" I knew parents who did that, in that manner, and they were rotten parents. What happened, was that those kids, who got thrown out that way, never went back to those parents, if they possibly could avoid it, even to visit them.they actually AVOIDED their parents the rest of their grown lives.I thought the movie was a very unpleasant experience.so I'm not really sure what the point of "boyhood" really was. Just that you're supposed to hang onto any good moments you have, because the rest of boyhood could be extremely miserable?and that's normal? No, it's not "normal".

Blade Runner really deviated from the novel"Blade Runner; or, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" which was completely different.The movie was "fun"( sparkly-sci-fi?? hah) but the NOVEL was great. The movie romanticized it, made it turn from a great book, into romantic-humanitarian-good- ending sludge. You could barely recognize the book. Course, the author was dead, I think, so he never did like Stephen King, made his OWN t.v. production of his novel, the way he wanted.(I think King's was uh..? the huge hotel with nasty ghosts?And no Jack Nicholson?) I understand why you don't like Blade Runner.(if that's the reason.) A flashy, tin-foil version of real science fiction, a "guilty pleasure." Hollywood ain't too great at translating good science fiction, we book-addicts prefer type and ink. There are exceptions, maybe. ??? Can't think of one right off.

you know, I just saw " boyhood" and all the horrible marriages, fighting, abuse and divorces and insecurity the kids had to go through,all the jerk –parent nagging,and all that stuff were hideous.is this being pawned off as a "normal childhood"? I would hate to think that this is what's known as "normal" now. I always thought that very dysfunctional abusive families like mine, were not normal. .the only good thing I can say about that main family is,the two kids didn't get pregnant and get married very early. That's about all the good I can say about it. But as for the way that the multiple parents trained and motivated their kids,that was terrible.

All that negative nagging was actually harmful.they did not accomplish what the mother or any of the fathers actually wanted; it just made the kids hate the way their parents lived, and everything they said. That's all it accomplished in the end.I'm not saying, kids don't need discipline and training, they do.but, it was the WAY that they did it.oh, and the mother became a psychologist,and I don't really remember her being honest, and saying to her kids "I completely f____ up, married the wrong people, and made a mess of my life and of yours.I'm sorry, I couldn't do any better at the time." Maybe it was too hard to admit it.

the final part where the mother says, "we're selling the house, you can't come back to it, you don't need a home to come back to, even to visit."(except for a small apartment.) It was the MANNER that she said it, like "I have to throw you out, you're not capable of going out into life at your own speed. GET OUT!" I knew parents who did that, in that manner, and they were rotten parents. What happened, was that those kids, who got thrown out that way, never went back to those parents, if they possibly could avoid it, even to visit them.they actually AVOIDED their parents the rest of their grown lives.I thought the movie was a very unpleasant experience.so I'm not really sure what the point of "boyhood" really was. Just that you're supposed to hang onto any good moments you have, because the rest of boyhood could be extremely miserable?and that's normal? No, it's not "normal".
That sounds like my childhood. Actually, I think most movies present families and relationships too stable. Even when they fight it usually has a meaningful outcome, but in real life arguments are often stupid and even good families may fight a lot.

Boyhood portrayed the parents as people. They are extremely flawed, but ultimately they do want the best things for their kids. Linklater doesn't judge them. He shows a deep affection for the parents and their situation. I loved that. He doesn't shy away from showing the negatives, but he also finds the positives. There's a lot of warmth to be found in this film.

Maybe that seems a little optimistic to some, but I personally appreciated and related to the portrayal of this particular fictional family.

I'm all for balanced, but ultimately hopeful stories that are also unafraid to show the darker stuff.

I don't hate either of these, but I'm not a fan of Argo or Fargo.

Blade Runner really deviated from the novel"Blade Runner; or, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" which was completely different.The movie was "fun"( sparkly-sci-fi?? hah) but the NOVEL was great. The movie romanticized it, made it turn from a great book, into romantic-humanitarian-good- ending sludge. You could barely recognize the book. Course, the author was dead, I think, so he never did like Stephen King, made his OWN t.v. production of his novel, the way he wanted.(I think King's was uh..? the huge hotel with nasty ghosts?And no Jack Nicholson?) I understand why you don't like Blade Runner.(if that's the reason.) A flashy, tin-foil version of real science fiction, a "guilty pleasure." Hollywood ain't too great at translating good science fiction, we book-addicts prefer type and ink. There are exceptions, maybe. ??? Can't think of one right off.
There's an old adage, 'If you want the book, read the book.'

It's not really fair to compare novels that can be quite long and complex, to the condensed visual medium that we call movies. If you love books, the movie will almost never match one's own vivid imagination.

And yet, those aren't even the reasons I hated it so much. I'm really not trying go all Armond White on everyone and be contrary for the sake of being contrary. I'm aware I'm in a very small minority when it comes to people who hated Boyhood. But, boy, did I hate Boyhood.

Sad thing is, I had been following the project since it was announced. I like to love most of Linklater, especially Waking Life, The Before Trilogy, Slacker, etc. Which makes it painful that I can't join into the praise that Linklater so deserves after such a career. I'm happy for him though.

Truthfully, Boyhood talks a lot (sometimes with excruciatingly bad dialogue), but has nothing new to say or bring the table. We've seen many of the (rather broad) themes done in other films, and done better. Not to mention the absolutely one note caricatures of his stereotypical conservative christian relatives (not only do they buy him a rifle, but a Bible as well!) Or the political conversation, and over-the-top republican portrayals, that are so forced into through out. Funny thing is, I'M NOT A REPUBLICAN OR A CHRISTIAN! But Linklater did not play fair in that regard. Then we get not one but TWO alcoholic abusive fathers, which isn't even riveting the first time around. Also, nearly every character is insufferable, Mason turns into yet another pretentious, passive, blasé young adult that I could barely stand in. And if you could take a shot every time there is a scene of a character either arguing, fighting, or breaking/nagging someone down, you'd have alcohol poisoning.

If this hadn't been filmed over 12 years, it wouldn't be getting nearly as much critical acclaim.

But I know, I'm in my own park here.

(I am very happy Arquette is gaining a lot of awards, she was indeed great in the film and probably one of the only things about it I can praise. She's always been one of my favorites. )

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All your points are true, yet I don't get the hate part. Women do marry abusive, alcoholic men, sometimes more than once. Some Christians would give a gun with a Bible, and some fathers are fanatically left-wing and would take the chance to share that with their kids, especially if they don't see them often. It may smack as lazy shorthand but it may also be personal acting and character development. And I'm only lukewarm on Boyhood, Linklater and the films of his you claim to love. His films have always had a political leaning, so I don't see why this one should bother you more than the others. But hatred brought about by a few moments in a 165-minute film is different from lukewarm, familiar feelings. And a film receiving 100 on Metacritic needs a good kneecapping anyway. But to each his own.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Very good synopsis... I also didn't like how there was no ambiguity. The mom was great, and all the dads (except the main character) were bad, not that it doesn't happen, but even with the bad and evil, there is some good.

I gave it a 6, but I think it's a low-point for Linklater. He has a few other films that are so engaging. I think it's a low point not just cinematically, but it's obvious he's trying to make money and doesn't care about the film. Anything that is decent in this film has already been shown in his films previously in a better way.

I don't think everyone on here loves it, but I couldn't stand "Blow Up" (Antonioni) and I watch 99% of every film even if I don't like it, but I couldn't get past 45 minutes. Agonizing!

Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but.....i think The Shawshank Redemption is a little too overrated. Honestly, everybody praises it as being one of the greatest movies ever and I've watched it multiple times to try to get why so many people love it and i just don't like. I've tried to like it but other than Freeman the movie has almost nothing else i like about it, the story isn't terrible but the movie itself i just didn't like, i don't know how to explain it exactly, guess it's just a matter of perception.

In my review for Boyhood I stated that I thought the reason for the one dimensional aspect of a lot of the smaller characters in the film as we are supposed to be viewing them through the eyes of the boy. I bought this, some of you didn't. If you didn't I think it is a fair criticism because its there.

I have heard a couple people recently call this a cash grab. That I am not buying at all. I am sure Linklater could have signed on for 20 more School Of Rock type comedies in the past 12 years if he was trying to make cash grabs. You don't set out to do something this ambitious because it will make more money. It is too time consuming. Bad argument in my opinion.

Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but.....i think The Shawshank Redemption is a little too overrated. Honestly, everybody praises it as being one of the greatest movies ever and I've watched it multiple times to try to get why so many people love it and i just don't like. I've tried to like it but other than Freeman the movie has almost nothing else i like about it, the story isn't terrible but the movie itself i just didn't like, i don't know how to explain it exactly, guess it's just a matter of perception.
I like this movie, but it seems like it's everyone's #1 film around where I live.

Honestly, I think it's because it's good and compounded with the fact that it's on television every single day.