Going to the movie theater alone

Tools    

In the Beginning...
I stumbled across this blog post from 2010 written by a woman who, absent of anyone to go see a movie with, decided to go alone... and had a great experience. Now she routinely sees films by herself.

Most of all, I’m not afraid to do it anymore. I used to think that people who went to movies alone were sad… that it was lame that they could find anyone to go with them. But now, if there’s a movie I want to see and everyone else goes to see it without me (as happens more frequently than I’d like), I can just go see it myself.
What made it doubly interesting is that on her first solo film-going visit, the theater was entirely empty. She had it all to herself.

It reminded me that I've seen a handful of films by myself before (300, Batman Begins, How to Train Your Dragon), and at least in one case (Hero) no one else was in the theater with me. Each time, it was a great experience. Obviously I enjoy going to the movies with friends/family, but I never felt bad about going it alone, and actually felt a little closer to the films I saw alone because of it.

So I thought I'd pose the question(s) to everyone here.

Do you ever go to the movie theater by yourself? Do you enjoy it?
Have you ever been the only person in a movie showing?

I often go to the cinema on my own, in fact I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema with someone. It's not that I am a shut in as such and I would love to go to a film with someone and then go for a coffee or a beer and really discuss the film with the person but I just didn't find that the people I know wanting to do that. Now there is nothing wrong with that but for me (and I am sure most of us on here) is that part of the process of watching a film is talking about it and not forgetting about it the moment we leave the cinema.

The thing I like about viewing films on my own though is I get to choose what I watch, when I want to watch it and I can sit anywhere I want. I don't want to talk during a film. I don't want to be interrupted - when I go to a film I want to cut off from the outside world and it seems that cinemas are one of the few places on earth I can do that.

I have come close to being the only one in a cinema before now but in the end two or three more people walked in. I would like the idea of having an entire cinema to myself I won't deny it.

Good god, maybe I really am a hermit

Last time I had someone with me was a couple weeks ago when I went to see Days Of Future Past with my mate.

Other than that, I've been to the cinema tons of times by myself. Man Of Steel, TDK, TDKR, Star Wars prequels, LOTR trilogy, went to see Jurassic Park a couple times by myself but also went with family and friends once as well...

Think I prefer it by myself. No messing about...

Never had the cinema to myself... TDKR and Man Of Steel were pretty empty though. I caught the second showing of TDKR, the first showing was jam packed so I caught the second one. Think there was me and maybe 5 others. That was perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I've gone to the theater alone several times. Typically if I go to the movies with someone, it's with my mother. She and I have very different tastes in movies, so if there's something she doesn't want to see and my best friend (who's basically a hermit and difficult to get a hold of) can't be reached or can't go with me, I go by myself. This seems to happen most often with animated films, which is doubly awkward since I'm usually the only person there who is alone and also the only person there without any children.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't go to the theater to watch movies alone, but that's just because I rarely go to the theater at all anymore since ticket prices skyrocketed, but I watch movies alone at home all the time.

Unless the movie is a comedy that would be more enjoyable with friends, I enjoy watching movies alone. Nobody talks during the movie, nobody annoys me with questions and/or comments, and I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Before I was married, I probably went to 90% of my movies alone. I had lots of free time and weird work hours, and you know how many movies I've seen. I probably saw Jaws 20 of the 25 times I saw it in the summer of '75 by myself. I usually watched it up near the front, but a couple of times I sat in the back just so I could watch the crowd scream and jump out of their seats.

There are too many films to remember which I saw by myself, at least I think I was by myself. There was nobody there when the movie started and when it ended, but I couldn't see the door unless I turned my head during the film. Yes - this was back in the day when the door directly opened into the theatre seating area - no separated walls or long hallways to go through to get to the seats and no stadium seating.

I never go to the movies alone, because I somehow always find someone to go with me, but I wouldn't mind it at all. It actually seems pretty romantic to me to sit in the last row of an old theater all by myself, watching a classy picture...

I'm looking forward to that "first time".

The majority of the time I go to the theater alone. When I was at Fort Hood I would always go to the first showing of the day, and the majority of the time that is on Saturday when everyone else I know is hung over, still drunk, or hung over / drunk in Austin. So for the most part I went to the theater alone, save for a few occasions.

Iv never been to the movies alone, but if the tickets and food sold there didnt cost 628949848649844$ i would probably start to!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have never been to the cinema on my own but I can see I would love it if the cinema is quite empty. Going with the kids or my wife is what happens mostly. If we had a cinema close to where we live I think I would pop in quite often

Mid-day, Mid-week movie by myself. Nothing better. If you need me after I am retired that is where I will be.

Never been to the movies on my own, my parents often see the movies with me. But I watch movies at home alone all the time. If it's a movie I really want to see and such, I will wait till I'm home alone and watch it, so I can concentrate on the film.
Fire walk with me.

It really depends on what movie it is you're watching. If you're watching a regular good movie, you can easily enjoy it on your own, but IMO I don't see much enjoyment to be had. I've done it once, and I got bored and irritated. If you're watching a fun movie, it's better to share it with someone. For example, seeing the Avengers in the theater was absolutely the most fun I had watching a movie, because I had someone to laugh and have fun with. Same as going to watch an absolutely horrible movie. You have to share the pain with someone or else you're going to curse the moment you decided to go there. I like going out to watch movies in the theater with friends. I don't see the fun in going alone. Sure your opinion of it won't be influenced by others who see it with you, but that's just my preference.

I have seen movies at the theatre on my own.... my daughter and her boyfriend go see a different fillm

I even seen "Brokeback Mountain" by myself.. no one wanted to go with me... it was a great film.

I have seen movies at the theatre on my own.... my daughter and her boyfriend go see a different fillm

I even seen "Brokeback Mountain" by myself.. no one wanted to go with me... it was a great film.
I don't imagine many people have seen Brokeback Mountain with other people... they would just feel strange together.
I mean no offense, and it truly is a great movie, but that kind of is true.

I think "El orfanato" was one of the other films I have seen alone.... Its ok.. Not everyone has the same taste in film as I do.. especially teens... (they were teens at the time)

I don't imagine many people have seen Brokeback Mountain with other people... they would just feel strange together.
I mean no offense, and it truly is a great movie, but that kind of is true.
Um... okay. I see no reason why "they would feel strange together" unless they were homophobic.

I saw it in the theater with two friends.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think I've only seen a few by myself. It's a rare occurrence. I remember seeing Wanted by myself. And American Hustle. That's about it.

Um... okay. I see no reason why "they would feel strange together" unless they were homophobic.

I saw it in the theater with two friends.
To me, it had nothing to do with sex with the same gender.. its a "love story".. its full of emotions..

Anytime you see a Jake Gyllenhaal film, you're not alone.