Mayweather v Pacquiao

Tools    

Lay and pray MMA is just as bad as the worst boxing bouts, and lay and pray is the majority of MMA right now.
Warning: half-backed theorizing ahead.

I think this is a fundamental problem with competitive fighting: by making it civilized enough to exist in society, and be enjoyed by well-adjusted people, it can't be too savage. So it needs rules. But the more rules it has the less it can feel like "fighting" and the more opportunity its participants have to try to exploit those rules in ways that may be effective or impressive, but aren't necessarily entertaining.

In terms of both potential harm and the money involved, there's not as much incentive to fight with the kind of reckless abandon that, frankly, would be more interesting to watch.

Let the night air cool you off
While I agree with you, I don't think ground fighting has to be boring. There are fighters who try to achieve a dominate ground position, but then advance their position even further, or at least there used to be. There's risk involved with this such as possibly losing your position or getting caught with a submission, but that's why you set it up. My major qualm with the MMA lay and pray is that nobody seems to care about improving their positions anymore. I know what you are saying about the rules and stuff, but this isn't really a rules issue. Unless of course you want to argue that their should be a rule penalizing stalling, which is all it is, but then that would be a rule that made it feel more like a fight.

Unregistered User
So I was happy with the outcome and the fight was pretty much how I expected it, although I thought Pacman would have done more. I only had him winning 2 rounds the whole fight. Like Sean said earlier, this is the way Floyd fights. Anyone tuning in for Ward-Gatti barnburner was always going to be let down.

With regards MMA, ive never really got into it although with the emergence of Conor McGregor, i'm interested. Anyone any thoughts on him?

Mayweather's planning on 1 more fight in September before he retires; it'd be cool if he stuck around for 2 more so he could beat the previous recordholder - I'd be eager to watch that.

With regards MMA, ive never really got into it although with the emergence of Conor McGregor, i'm interested. Anyone any thoughts on him?
I love when "heel" characters emerge in "real" combat sports, and I don't mean Floyd Mayweather types, I mean the type of guys that are charismatic and feel like they are just putting on a show. McGregor, despite not actually seeing any of his fights, has become one of my favorite MMA personalities. His antics are always funny, I hope he beats Jose Aldo and UFC gives him the push they gave the scummy Jon Jones.

I love when "heel" characters emerge in "real" combat sports, and I don't mean Floyd Mayweather types, I mean the type of guys that are charismatic and feel like they are just putting on a show. McGregor, despite not actually seeing any of his fights, has become one of my favorite MMA personalities. His antics are always funny, I hope he beats Jose Aldo and UFC gives him the push they gave the scummy Jon Jones.
That's one of the reasons why I liked Sonnen so much. He was great fun to follow around.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
*^^^ that's not true at all. MMA is more exciting than it's ever been.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

*^^^ that's not true at all. MMA is more exciting than it's ever been.
Not even close. MMA was fantastic from somewhere around 2000 through 2007 when PRIDE was king of the hill. MMA has had it's moments since then, but to say MMA is more exciting than it's ever been is ludicrous. I don't even know how that could be considered. Unless you like the over-saturation of a million shows a year filled with less than desirable cards chock-full of mediocre fights.

Pac man had a torn rotator cuff. That, to me at least, makes his performance impressive. A torn rotator cuff is kind of a big deal to a boxer, he was basically fighting with one good arm against one of the best boxers ever. I mean he definitely lost, but he wasn't embarrassed. It had to take his trademark aggressiveness away from him.

They said Mayweather knew about the injury too.Had a mole in Pac man's camp. Maybe that's why he was so complimentary of Pac man after the fight. He knew he was fighting with one arm, maybe he thought it would be a cake walk maybe even thought a KO was possible. Instead he lasted 12. Just a thought.

Love to see a rematch next May with both fighters at full health. I think you would see a much different fight. Pacquiao would go balls to the wall.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Not even close. MMA was fantastic from somewhere around 2000 through 2007 when PRIDE was king of the hill. MMA has had it's moments since then, but to say MMA is more exciting than it's ever been is ludicrous. I don't even know how that could be considered. Unless you like the over-saturation of a million shows a year filled with less than desirable cards chock-full of mediocre fights.
Yeah I do. I like all mma fights so the more the better. Boxing has events week in week out with less stacked cards aswell.

And it's not ludicrous at all. Mma still has a higher finishing rate than boxing. But your making out that mma is just 2 guys rolling around on the floor, which is not the case at all. The ufc has some fantastic fights this year and very exciting devisions.

Dude. I have defended ground fighting. I appreciate BJJ and catch wrestling, but I don't like that almost nobody tries to improve their position. Pass guard and try something, dammit. And if you are on bottom, risk some energy by going for a sweep. I don't know, do something. Sure there's exceptions, but it's hard to watch an entire MMA card at this point.

And of course MMA has a higher finishing rate, it's designed that way. That's why they wear lighter gloves. A fight being "finished" doesn't change whether or not it's an exciting fight. How can you like EVERY fight or ALL of anything? Sure boxing has a lot of events, but they are designed to have a main attraction with an undercard of only a handful of fights. The UFC used to be good at countering this by offering stacked cards, now they have pretty much adopted the boxing way of doing things with one big fight. This works against MMA though, because the fights are shorter. A boxing bout can go up to an hour, while an MMA bout can only go up to 30 minutes (factoring in the periods in-between rounds.) It makes more sense for MMA to have a stacked card.