Help The Samoan's 60's list

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User

Topaz (1969)

Marnie (1964)

Both films get a respectable but still disappointing
For me both these felt to be at times, plodding along and suffered badly for pacing. They probably suffer from my high expectations of Hitchcock and maybe I went in expecting too much. Both are worth a watch and if I had to chose between the two I would place Topaz slightly ahead but I probably won't be revisiting these anytime soon.

Unregistered User

Elmer Gantry (1960)

Burt Lancaster produces a powerhouse of a performance as Elmer Gantry, a fast-talking, cash-hungry, cynical womaniser who sets his sights on Sister Falconer, an equally impressive Jean Simmons, and her travelling evangelist show. As Gantry gets closer to his target, events take an interesting turn when an old flame, again played brilliantly by Shirley Jones, turns up, which only adds fuel to the fire, that is Gantry's immoral actions.

My favourite Lancaster film was always 1968's The Swimmer (also a must-see) but Elmer Gantry runs this very close. What really impresses me about Lancaster is his ability to produce such scene-chewing, massive performances without ever coming across as overacting.

'Love is the morning and evening star'