Help The Samoan's 60's list

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User

This thread is designed to help me construct my 60's list. With my top 25 more or less already identified I will be looking at other films to try and crack into my 25, so any help will be much appreciated.

Within the next few days I will start my assault on the 60's films and will keep a record of it here just to keep things altogether. I have quite a varied taste in movies but I would say mostly I enjoy the darker, more serious side of cinema. For example,Repulsion, Onibaba, The Innocents and In Cold Blood are all films I hold in high regard. Not to say that these are the only type that I am looking for but just to give you a general idea.

Any recommendations that I haven't seen will be added to my watchlist and I will try my best to get through as many as possible.

Cheers

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Shop on Main Street
The Two of Us
The Miracle Worker
Birdman of Alcatraz
The Night of the Iguana
Morgan!
Alfie
War and Peace
Z

Unregistered User
The Shop on Main Street
The Two of Us
The Miracle Worker
Birdman of Alcatraz
The Night of the Iguana
Morgan!
Alfie
War and Peace
Z
Thanks Mark, some are already on watch list but those that are not, will be now. Apart from Alfie, which I didn't really like.

Some that I will consider while making 60's list (and also recommend to anyone)

Playtime
Pierrot Le Fou
Eight and Half
Soy Cuba (I Am Cuba)
Persona
Breathless
Blow Up
Psycho
Repulsion
Teorema
Ivan's Childhood
Kes
Knife in the Water
The Birds
Subarnarekha (The Golden Thread)
Juliette of the Spirits
Woman in the Dunes
Weekend
Last Year at Marienbad
Z
The Fireman's Ball
La Jetee
Charulata (The Lonely Wife)

These are some that I have seen and will consider...there are about 40 more in my list that I need to watch before making 60's list myself...

Unregistered User
Some that I will consider while making 60's list (and also recommend to anyone)

Playtime
Pierrot Le Fou
Eight and Half
Soy Cuba (I Am Cuba)
Persona
Breathless
Blow Up
Psycho
Repulsion
Teorema
Ivan's Childhood
Kes
Knife in the Water
The Birds
Subarnarekha (The Golden Thread)
Juliette of the Spirits
Woman in the Dunes
Weekend
Last Year at Marienbad
Z
The Fireman's Ball
La Jetee
Charulata (The Lonely Wife)

These are some that I have seen and will consider...there are about 40 more in my list that I need to watch before making 60's list myself...
Several of those will almost definitely appear on my list. Added those I've not seen to my watch list. Particularly Weekend.
Thanks

The People's Republic of Clogher
Go 60s? Go kitchen sink!

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, Kes, This Sporting Life, Cathy Come Home (though it's a TV play) etc

There's a ton of them, mostly based on the work of Realist writers such as Alan Sillitoe. A new wave if you want to be poncy.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sons and Lovers
The Hustler
Freud
Hud
Fail-Safe
The Wrong Box
Bonnie and Clyde
Cool Hand Luke
In Cold Blood
Two for the Road
The 10th Victim
That Man from Rio
Cartouche
(62)

Unregistered User

Billy Liar (1963)

Tom Courtenay plays a young man, stuck in a dead end job and living in a grimy and industrial England. Depressed with life, he escapes to a fantasy world (almost Mitty-like) where he fufills his ambitions. Its listed as a comedy but I really didn't find it that funny. Rather tragic and pretty bleak, Billy Liar is a good portrayal of working-class Britain and has good performances from Courtenay and Julie Christie.

Unregistered User

Once Upon a Time in The West (1968)

Just as I thought my list was impenetrable, along comes Harmonica with his..... harmonica. Previously my favourite western was the 1957's 3:10 to Yuma with Glen Ford but not any more. From the opening scene with the fly, right through to the very end, I was completely hooked. Soundtrack and visuals were out of the world and Bronson's performance was damn near perfection. Then there was Cardinale. Such a stunning actress and she produces a performance to match her looks. Overall, I'm not the biggest fan of the Western genre but lets face it, this isn't any old Western, is it?

+

Once Upon a Time in The West (1968)

Just as I thought my list was impenetrable, along comes Harmonica with his..... harmonica. Previously my favourite western was the 1957's 3:10 to Yuma with Glen Ford but not any more. From the opening scene with the fly, right through to the very end, I was completely hooked. Soundtrack and visuals were out of the world and Bronson's performance was damn near perfection. Then there was Cardinale. Such a stunning actress and she produces a performance to match her looks. Overall, I'm not the biggest fan of the Western genre but lets face it, this isn't any old Western, is it?

+
This is probably one of the biggest movies I haven't seen yet. Of course I'll be watching it for the 60's list, and I'm looking forward to it.