The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

And the 60s will be Persona.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm hooked to see what movie wins 20's. If it's Chaplin I'm gonna murder everyone.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ridley Scott’s genre-bending, suspense-filled Alien, which was only his second feature film, got plenty of votes. Enough from the horror lovers, the sci-fi aficionados, and just plain cinema fans in general to burst out of our collective chests as the number five pick! Just fifty-three points shy of a thousand, and fifty-two ahead of Chinatown, Alien was on fifty-eight total ballots and has thirty top ten finishes: three first place, three second, four third, two fourth, six fifth, two sixth, five seventh, three eighth, two ninth, and a single tenth place vote.

James Cameron’s action-filled sequel finished just shy of the top ten on the MoFo ‘80s List at number eleven, but the tense original is in the top five, here. Ridley Scott had the number six film on the ‘80s countdown (Blade Runner), and one on the bottom half of the ‘90s List: Gladiator (69).

Number four coming at you, tomorrow.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 chart.png
Views:	831
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	16962  

ahem...

My prediction for the top 7:

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. Taxi Driver
4. Star Wars
5. Alien
6. Chinatown
7. A Clockwork Orange

That is another from my list. Swan must be stocked to see this movie so high up on the countdown. It has been a while since I saw it, but it is about that time I gave it a rewatch.

Seen 79/96

My list: 17

1. ?
2. Apocalypse Now (9)
3. Stalker (20)
4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
6. Pink Flamingos (1972)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
9. Coffy (1973)
10. ?
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
14. ?
15. Mad Max (70)
16. Foxy Brown (1974)
17. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (13)
18. Death Wish (1974)
19. The Exorcist (12)
20. ?
21. Young Frankenstein (15)
22. A Clockwork Orange (7)
23. Alien (5)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

I had Alien at #11.

1. Annie Hall
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Network
4. Hausu
5. Play It Again, Sam
6. Harold and Maude
7. Barry Lyndon
8. Love and Death
9. Carrie
10. Sleeper
11. Alien
12. Alice in the Cities
13. Being There
14. Blazing Saddles
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
17. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
19. Walkabout
20. Chinatown
21. The Conversation
22. A Woman Under the Influence
23. Wake in Fright
25. Aguirre, Wrath of God

and I'll stick with my top 5 prediction:

1. The Godfather
2. Star Wars
3. Taxi Driver
4. Jaws
5. Alien

I love Alien, but I didn't have it on my list. I've also merely seen it once.

It's simply a legendary sci-fi thriller full of thrilling atmosphere, suspense, twists and iconic scenes and it's rightfully seen as one of the best ever made in its genre. It definitely deserves another rewatch from me and if I would've rewatched it for my list, it might have made it for sure!
I mean, who doesn't like a well paced, thrilling movie about a badass, hot girl (because that's what Sigourney Weaver was back then) fighting an almost unbeatable alien creature on a spaceship that has come there by bursting out of someone's chest?

I also love the many different parodies and tributes it has procreated. One of my three personal favorite episodes of Cowboy Bebop (Toys in the Attic) is a fantastic tribute to Alien. In this episode, the monster is replaced by a metaphor for the past, more precisely a lobster that's been kept in the fridge for too long and that has grown into a weird monster that terrorizes the spaceship. Truly a must see for fans of this film! It's brilliant.

And then there's of course this piece of brilliant comedy:

---------------------

Great film!

I can faintly remember the buzz when Alien came out about how scary it was. It was one of only two movies, along with Dawn of the Dead, that my parents wouldn't let me see right away. I finally saw it in the early 80's when I was about 11, and I've been a fan ever since. It seems like a high placement, but it's a great movie and I'm glad it did well. It was one of the last cuts from my list.

Alien makes seventeen for Deadite. He had it all the way up as his number two choice.

1. Marathon Man (#73)
2. Alien (#5)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
12. Walkabout (#67)
13. The Conversation (#18)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
22. Apocalypse Now (#9)
24. The Godfather Part II (#10)

Attachments

Name:	Deadite Alien.jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	16963  

And then there's of course this piece of brilliant comedy:

John Hurt seems to have a good sense of humor, so he likely would have been game for that bit of spoofing fun no matter who had directed Spaceballs. But that it was Mel Brooks probably made it a no-brainer, seeing as how Brooks had produced David Lynch's The Elephant Man (number nineteen on our '80s List). Hurt also has a funny little cameo as Jesus Christ in Mel's History of the World Part I, which was released the year after The Elephant Man.

Attachments

Name:	spaceballs.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	16964  

The People's Republic of Clogher
Alien was my #16. Best haunted house movie ever made.

It's also the best Tom Skerritt movie on the list. So far.

John Hurt seems to have a good sense of humor, so he likely would have been game for that bit of fun no matter who had directed Spaceballs. But that it was Mel Brooks probably made it a no-brainer, seeing as how Brooks had produced David Lynch's The Elephant Man (number nineteen on our '80s List). Hurt also has a funny little cameo as Jesus Christ in Mel's History of the World Part I, which was released the year after The Elephant Man.

Holy crap, THAT WAS JOHN HURT in History of the World Part 1! I never noticed that!

Alien was #13 on my list.

Two more films from my list to go.

Sexy Celebrity's '70s List:

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
3. Rocky
4. Rocky II
5. Pink Flamingos - didn't make it
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Halloween
8. Mad Max
9. Foxy Brown - didn't make it