Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Wuthering Heights (David Skynner, 1998)
6/10
Keep Watching (Sean Carter, 2017)
+ 4.5/10
Lamp Life (Valerie LaPointe, 2020)
6/10
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing (Henry King, 1955)
6.5/10

Eurasian doctor Jennifer Jones and American journalist William Holden fall on love in Hong Kong in 1949 but societal conventions and war interfere.
Ms. Purple (Justin Chon, 2019)
5.5/10
Groundhog Dave (James Snider, 2019)
4/10
Liz in September (Fina Torres, 2014)
6/10
Hold Back the Dawn (Mitchell Leisen, 1941)
+ 6.5/10

Inexperienced American teacher Olivia de Havilland falls in love with Romanian gigolo Charles Boyer who wants to use her to get into the U.S.
All About E (Louise Wadley, 2015)
5/10
Henry Gamble's Birthday Party (Stephen Cone, 2015)
6/10
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (David Bowers, 2017)
4/10
The Girl King (Mika Kaurismäki, 2015)
6/10

Lady-in-waiting Sarah Gadon and Queen Kristina of Sweden (Malin Buska) find comfort in each other's arms.
My Father's Tools (Heather Condo, 2017)
5.5/10
The Prodigy (Nicholas McCarthy, 2019)
5/10
Those People (Joey Kuhn, 2015)
5.5/10
37 Seconds (Hikari, 2019)
6.5/10

Original approach to cerebral palsy-disabled Mei Kayama trying to reconnect with her past and discover her future.
The Tamarind Seed (Blake Edwards, 1974)
- 5.5/10
One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story (William A. Graham, 1978)
6/10
Taylor Swift: Miss Americana (Lana Wilson, 2019)
+ 6/10
The (Silent) War AKA Sordo (Alfonso Cortés-Cavanillas, (2019)
+ 6/10

Suvvering from deafness caused by an explosion, counterrevolutionary Asier Etxeandia teies to survive in Franco's Spain.

Highly controversial opinion, but I hated Joker, 3/10.
I found it quite trite.

Account terminated on request

Wuthering Heights (David Skynner, 1998)
6/10
Keep Watching (Sean Carter, 2017)
+ 4.5/10
Lamp Life (Valerie LaPointe, 2020)
6/10
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing (Henry King, 1955)
6.5/10
Ms. Purple (Justin Chon, 2019)
5.5/10
Groundhog Dave (James Snider, 2019)
4/10
Liz in September (Fina Torres, 2014)
6/10
Hold Back the Dawn (Mitchell Leisen, 1941)
+ 6.5/10
All About E (Louise Wadley, 2015)
5/10
Henry Gamble's Birthday Party (Stephen Cone, 2015)
6/10
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (David Bowers, 2017)
4/10
The Girl King (Mika Kaurismäki, 2015)
6/10
My Father's Tools (Heather Condo, 2017)
5.5/10
The Prodigy (Nicholas McCarthy, 2019)
5/10
Those People (Joey Kuhn, 2015)
5.5/10
37 Seconds (Hikari, 2019)
6.5/10

The Tamarind Seed (Blake Edwards, 1974)
- 5.5/10
One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story (William A. Graham, 1978)
6/10
Taylor Swift: Miss Americana (Lana Wilson, 2019)
+ 6/10
The (Silent) War AKA Sordo (Alfonso Cortés-Cavanillas, (2019)
+ 6/10

Whoa! You had an unfortunate run of "meh" movies lately.

They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

The Running Man (1963)

Suspenseful and enjoyable drama film directed by Carol Reed with much of it shot in Spain. Stars Laurence Harvey and Lee Remick. I like the cast and find the plot casual and fun enough to make it a regular from my collection. Nice cars, aeroplanes and settings throughout.

6/10

Blast of Silence 1961 Directed by Allen Baron

Low budget, raw, gritty and bad ass looking 60's Noir film with a hard hitting Jazz score and a very unique sounding inner monologue voice over (the voice from the Thriller video came to mind).
We follow the main character a cold lone wolf hit-man; Frankie Bono played by Allen Baron, (who looks like a fusion of young De Niro and George C. Scott), as he prepares for a hit in downtown New York.
This film is no joke, it's the darkest 'noirest' Noir I've seen so far.
(Really need a colorful/happy movie after this one .)
-

The Boy Wonder of Chunder
I just watched Willem Dofoe and Robert Patterson being ****ing lunatics in The Lighthouse . It was a laugh . ****ing trippers.
By the way I'm new here -how's it going all .

“I was cured, all right!”
Lol, try; Under The Skin, very weird but lots of nudity
Yes, that's THE movie. ha-ha
Watched once, not sure if I liked back in the day but I'll rewatch tonight or tomorrow.

Speaking of good movies you'll never watch again The Hunt is joining the list. This may be Mads finest performance. It's about a decent guy falsely accused of being a pedophile and how his friends and the town turn on him. So many things go through your head while watching this but all I wanted was for One Eye to make an appearance and clear things up. Very good movie.

A silly, good looking R and R flick. Quite a bit of this is "It's a movie - just go with it." A few of the scenes are too long. especially the ending but it had one pretty cool scene involving glass ("Glass? Who the hell cares about glass?" - J.M). Pretty solid gore.

Entertaining. Not sure I understand all the acclaim it got though back in the day.

Stand-In (1937)

Really funny film about the movie industry starring Leslie Howard, Joan Blondell and Humphrey Bogart. Many humorous gems throughout the script and visuals, and really well acted by the main cast. One of my preferred American '30s comedies for sure.

7/10

Ford v. Ferrari (2019)

It’s difficult to come up with something fresh for an auto racing film. There have been both good ones and poor ones in the past, so the challenge for the production is to captivate and excite the viewer without falling prey to the familiarity of a standard racing film. Ford v. Ferrari almost succeeds.

It’s a true life American success story that portrays the challenge of Henry Ford II to build a Le Mans Prototype race car to overcome Ferrari’s dominance in the Le Mans field, and to become the first U.S. automobile company to do so in that format. There's rarely a surprise conclusion in this type of story, but we'll avoid the spoilers.

There's plenty of excitement in the racing scenes, but most of the competitiveness comes early, and surprisingly between Mr. Ford and Mr. Ferrari rather than from the racing drivers. In fact much of the racing footage could have been from solo time trials. There was little head to head battling. Still the racing filmed from the point of view of the driver was exciting.

The human elements of the story bordered on triteness. Some of the human interaction was obviously exaggerated in a rather hackneyed manner. The writing and portrayal of Ford's racing chairman, Leo Beebe bordered on caricature.

But most of the acting was well done, with Christian Bale being the chief standout. He was able to present nearly a full range, and convincingly so. Matt Damon on the other hand seemed to be playing Matt Damon. Mostly a mail-in part for him.

The writers took some liberties with the actual story, but in the main it was historically close. In my view a better film of the subject was the documentary The 24 Hour War by Nate Adams and Adam Carolla. That film is more exciting and suspenseful, while using real footage and real interviews of the principals.

Ford v. Ferrari is a watchable film with exciting scenes and with good acting by Bale. It's a trifle long, but mostly enjoyable.

Doc's rating: 7/10