Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Kind of an odd film. The ways the story unfolds and characters act don't often make much sense. The paranoia is real though and weird camera angles work really well (maybe Raimi has taken some ideas to his cinematography from this). I had all sorts of associations to the modern world while watching this so I guess it's still topical. Not really sure how to rate this but...

--

The Hills Run Red (2009)

Slasher film about almost mythical slasher film and one man's obsession with finding this lost piece of horror that's only ever been shown once. I don't remember why I had this on my watchlist but I like the premise; it has that old Lovecraftian vibe but turned into something modern (like the cinematic equivalent of The King in Yellow). Sadly the movie doesn't live up to those expectations. It has potential but the end result is, in my opinion, way too immature (it doesn't help that there are few things that are obvious attempts at parody). Still barely OK.

Unregistered User

Waves (2019)

I never enjoyed Malick's dreamlike sequences bur after watching this, I want to revisit. I think that's pretty high praise enough.

Ad Astra (2019)

Surprised by the relatively low score on IMDB. Thought it was excellent, with a poignant message.

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

Another great film from 2019. Bale in particular I thought was excellent. You don't need to be a motor enthusiast to enjoy it but if you were, I say it would be a must-watch.

Waves (2019)

I never enjoyed Malick's dreamlike sequences bur after watching this, I want to revisit. I think that's pretty high praise enough.

Glad you enjoyed.

WARNING: "waves" spoilers below
There are something like 8 or 9 aspect ratio changes. It starts out as full screen, then gradually decreases as we see Tyler's relationship breaking down. The big aspect ratio change then occurs after the tragedy, with the family in complete freefall and at it's lowest point. Then we see a gradual increase in aspect ratios as Emily rebuilds her life and glues the family back together. (she's the real hero).

The Radiohead needle drop and the moment the parents held hands again was an absolute choker. I was in floods of tears. Shults is brilliant.

I absolutely loved it.

Unregistered User
Glad you enjoyed.

WARNING: "waves" spoilers below
There are something like 8 or 9 aspect ratio changes. It starts out as full screen, then gradually decreases as we see Tyler's relationship breaking down. The big aspect ratio change then occurs after the tragedy, with the family in complete freefall and at it's lowest point. Then we see a gradual increase in aspect ratios as Emily rebuilds her life and glues the family back together. (she's the real hero).

The Radiohead needle drop and the moment the parents held hands again was an absolute choker. I was in floods of tears. Shults is brilliant.

I absolutely loved it.

Never even picked up on that. Absolute genius! Cant wait to see what he does next.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Man Standing Next (Woo Jin-Ho, 2020)

Lee Byung-hun is great as the conflicted director of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA), who in 1979 assassinated President Park Jung-Hee, after a conflict of politics emerged within their ranks.

My Hindu Friend (Hector Babenco, 2015; US release 2020)
Hector Babenco's final film before his 2016 passing is a semi-autobiographical film about his cancer treatment in 1994, with Willem Dafoe in a great performance as a film director who undergoes a bone marrow transplant and changes his attitude when he meets a young Hindu boy with the same affliction.

Revolutionary Road: 6/10.

Fevered, but slow. Two main leads are very good. Amazed I finished it actually, but glad I did.

The Irishman

I Am Mother

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The L-Shaped Room (1962, Bryan Forbes)

Really surprised by how much I ended up liking this one. Beautifully bittersweet, moving story (based on a novel by Lynne Reid Banks), good dialogue, excellent black-and-white cinematography (the 4K restoration looks great on BD), and just an overall vibe that feels way ahead of its time for 1962. A gem!

A bit of trivia: Leslie Caron's fantastic performance won her the Golden Globe Award and BAFTA Award for best actress, and earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress.

Uncut Gems (2019) - 6.8/10. This definitely was a weird one. I don't even know what genre the movie is. It's was a fun watch. And a great performance by Sandler. Too bad in a few months time he will be going back to his usual Jack & Jill stuff. He should do these roles more often.