The Samoan Lawyer attempts to review

→ in
Tools    

Mary and Max was one of the first movies I watched for the animation list and I agree with everything you said. I envision it to end up pretty high on my list as well.

Unregistered User
I love Mary and Max. Claymation is my most favourite kind of animation
I wasn't a huge fan at the beginning Christine but i'm warming too it now, much thanks to Mary and Max.

Unregistered User

Written and directed by the wonderful Ingmar Bergman, WildStrawberries is not a far cry from most of his other work, in that it dealswith thought provoking questions and themes of self-discovery. However, in thisquite sublime drama, we are treated to a warmer, more optimistic Bergman andwith fantastic results.

Victor Sjostrom plays Isak, a widowed 78 year old professorwho is due to make the long journey by car, to receive an award for services tohis occupational field. Along the excursion he is forced to confront recurringnightmares and visions, of fractured human relationships from his past. Thesecontests are only heightened, when he is challenged by several encounters withpeople that are directly related with this anguish. The closer he gets to hislifetime achievement, the nearer he comes to the realisation of how thingscould have been.

Wild Strawberries is a metaphorically moving andexceptionally nostalgic road trip that in true Bergman fashion is jam packedwith symbolism. Although maybe not his best film it is easily top 3 for me, behind Persona and Hour of the Wolf, at the time of writing. This is a work of art from a genius director in the form of hislife.

I find Bergman's movies to be fascinating, and Wild Strawberries was no exception. I still need to see Persona and Hour of the Wolf. Nice review

Drive (2011)

“You give me a five minute window, anything that happens in that five minutes and I’m yours”

‘The Driver’ is a stuntman/mechanic by day and a getaway driver by nightcall. Accompanied by his auto shop owner boss in Bryan Cranston, the two get involved in a heist which leads to an ill advised love interest, an out of patience hot headed mafia boss, a blood soaked hotel room and a slight altercation in an elevator.

Ryan Gosling plays ‘The Driver’s’ strong and silent type perfectly and with the scorpion embalmed jacket he evokes the use of the Scorpion and the Frog fable.

Nicolas Winding Refn’s ultra cool Drive has Gosling as a man equally as suited to a certain Sergio Leone western trilogy and along with an electronic pop soundtrack this made Drive a revelation at Cannes in 2011.

I tried to watch Drive once and turned it off about 25 minutes in but your review made me want to give it another go.