Through the Devil's Eyes

Tools    

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I've been on here for a something like two years now and try really hard not to talk about my personal life and just chat with a bunch of fellow movie lovers about movies. However, you guys may notice that I disappear at times and then come back and chat a bit. That's because in my personal life, I make movies. I don't think they're very good, ha ha, but it is definitely something I enjoy doing. Around this time last year I started production on my first feature film entitled Through the Devil's Eyes. I've recently made it available for free through my vimeo account.

Feel free to check it out, rate it on imdb, whatever you feel like. I just wanted to share a movie I made with a bunch of movie lovers.

Thanks everyone.

BTW I'm aware the video says it's private, it's because I asked for it not to be embedded on any site. If you click it, you can check it out.

I watched 10 minutes.
It's well paced and the story keeps moving forward.

The blood looks fake though, it's not the right color.
This article has some DIY blood:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/15616-spooky-effects

Or you can buy some pre-made off amazon, which is the route that I've gone in the past.

Most of the scenes seem just a little bit out of focus, it's not very crisp. Also I think you would benefit greatly from more wide shots and more establishing shots.

Is there some sort of motion blur going on when people move ?

The blood is supposed to look fake, it's paying homage to 1970s blood.

There are a few scenes out of focus (mainly in David's bedroom). That is entirely my fault, it was the first day shooting with a new lens and I was not aware that I needed to adjust focus on the lens and the camera on the first day.

The biggest reason I used mainly close ups is I shot the movie on $1,500 but it's supposed to take place in 1988 and stuff in the kitchen was all modern.

Thanks though for the feedback.

There are a few scenes out of focus (mainly in David's bedroom). That is entirely my fault, it was the first day shooting with a new lens and I was not aware that I needed to adjust focus on the lens and the camera on the first day.
Interesting, you had to adjust on BOTH the camera and lens?

A couple scenes were definitely out of focus, you don't need me to tell you that of course. But for the rest of it .. it all seems a little soft.

I'd love for someone else to chime in on that and see if they agree.

The close ups for everything created some sort of psychological discomfort for me.

But I did enjoy the pacing of everything, did you write the script too?

Interesting, you had to adjust on BOTH the camera and lens?

A couple scenes were definitely out of focus, you don't need me to tell you that of course. But for the rest of it .. it all seems a little soft.

I'd love for someone else to chime in on that and see if they agree.

The close ups for everything created some sort of psychological discomfort for me.

But I did enjoy the pacing of everything, did you write the script too?
The reason was I bought a 35mm lens for my camera. I had ordered it about a month before planned shooting and it didn't show up until a few days before shooting (I had even used 3-5 day shipping). Since my camera has a manual focus on it, both needed to be adjusted.

Yes, I also wrote the script. I'm glad you found it nicely paced. Personally, I feel a few spots drag though I don't feel I start off the movie as a drag.

I really appreciate the feedback thanks again foster.

Surprised it's a feature, most up and coming directors exclusively make shorts until their big break. Will watch later, big rep for dedication.

Surprised it's a feature, most up and coming directors exclusively make shorts until their big break. Will watch later, big rep for dedication.
Thanks for the rep, hello101. I had read something which said it's easier to obtain funding to make a bigger film if you can make an entertaining feature on low budget. I tried it and it worked for me. Shortly after premiering this film, I was approached by someone who offered to put up some money for a second feature (which we recently finished shooting). I hope you enjoy it.

oh Karkarot has some short films.. I seen one.. I enjoyed it as well.

MovieGal, I'm glad you like it so far. Hopefully you enjoy it upon completion.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched it all the way through. You did a pretty good job for a first-time feature. The acting and writing were better than I thought they would be. Now for the tough love. Your direction was a bit flat and static, but the editing helped make it seem relatively fast-moving. Color correcting would certainly have improved the visual richness, and don't be afraid to move your camera more often and set up some striking shots/editing techniques (even in the script-writing process) to keep the movie vital and interesting. Don't put yourself down. I'm interested to see more from you.

I doubt anyone still cares about an indie film by some internet nobody but if you are, Through the Devil's Eyes is now available through Amazon Prime (in the US and UK).

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Devil...dp/B00ZWM7644/