The Christopher Nolan countdown to The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

First six minutes screenings are getting very good praise from most places, ignoring the nitpick critics on the dodgy sound as it's not completed yet in post production.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Saw "Insomnia" for the first time the other day. Probably Nolan's weakest film although still decent.

Pacino was very believable as someone who hasn't slept for days. Reminds me of me at work with too little sleep the day before.

I know I always bring this up, but have you seen the original, gandalf?
Original what? Insomnia?

Is it a remake or something?

Don't know what you mean.

When will they stop with making super hero action mindless craps films and make spectacle of them...if this movie RISES so high on imdb 250 list like first one,imdb will be more of a joke site than it is now...

Well I doubt that The Dark Knight Rises will top The Dark Knight. :/

Well I doubt that The Dark Knight Rises will top The Dark Knight. :/
The hardest thing will be for the DKR to meet expectations. DK set the bar very high so if DKR does in fact meet or exceed expectations then that is an achievement in itself.

The Dark Knight Rises will probably have a larger opening, but a somewhat smaller (though probably not way smaller) domestic gross.

But yeah, really, let's all just hope for it to be, like, 75% as good as TDK was. I'd be thrilled with that.

Insomnia is a remake.
Every day is a school day it seems.

What is the verdict on which one is better?

The original has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and Nolan's has 92%.

Probably won't watch the original as I assume it will be practically the same as Nolan's.

I probably won't watch Fincher's Girl with Dragon tattoo for the same reason.

The Dark Knight Rises will probably have a larger opening, but a somewhat smaller (though probably not way smaller) domestic gross.

But yeah, really, let's all just hope for it to be, like, 75% as good as TDK was. I'd be thrilled with that.
I reckon DKR will take slightly more than DK.

Look at Transformers, each film getting progressively worse yet the actual Gross increased from $700 million worldwide for Part 1, part 2 slightly more and Revenge of the Fallen taking more than $1 Billion.

Batman Begins took $370 million, The Dark Knight over $1 Billion worldwide, anticipation is at fever pitch for DKR so I reckon it could do $1.2-$1.5 Billion no matter how good it actually is.

Maybe worldwide; I'm not sure about that. But domestically it'd be a very tall order; TDK is the third-highest grossing film of all-time, non-inflation-adjusted. Wouldn't shock me, I guess, but that's one awfully high bar.

The hardest thing will be for the DKR to meet expectations.
Yeah,exactly.
Also,not sure how about other viewers,but I think that Heath Ledger made DK a lot better.For me,The Joker just took over the movie.And I'm quite sure that DKR won't have such a great performance and even if it will have great plot,magnificent visual effects, perfect sound etc. it won't top DK because it won't have this great acting.The Dark Knight had everything.I can't even imagine a better superhero movie.
About grossing - I never was interested in Batman and in Heath Ledger but I was wondering what happened first Heath died or The Dark Knight was released?Because his death and the fact that he did a great last performance also helped the movie to become so popular.

Heath died well before the film was released (EDIT: beat me to it; same phrasing, too!), though after his part in shooting it was done.

His death definitely contributed to interest in the film and, in turn, its gross, but it was one of several factors that combined to produce such a high level of success. Along with his death, we have the ridiculous buzz about his performance, the fact that he's Batman's iconic nemesis, and the huge success of Batman Begins on video (I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure it snuck up on a fair number of people that way). A film can gross quite a bit with a couple of factors like this, but The Dark Knight had a preponderance of things going for it to generate excitement and interest.

Heath Ledger died well before the release.
So it's obvious that people wanted to see his last performance so this is one of the reason why the Dark Knight is one of the top-grossed movies.
On the other hand,DKR can also have a great opening as people might think that it will be as great as the Dark Knight.It's hard to tell who will be more popular and profitable but I'm about 90% sure that it won't be better than DK.

Agree with Yoda, Dark Knight Rises won't do as well as The Dark Knight. It will make a crapload obviously but The Dark Knight's box office takings was a once in a decade type of deal.

As far as quality goes, I hope for it be at least as good as Batman Begins, if it's as good as that, I will be very content. If it's even better than that, i'll be immensely thrilled. If it's as good as The Dark Knight (it's won't be) then I will probably go to the IMAX to see it more than 3 times.

Agree with Yoda, Dark Knight Rises won't do as well as The Dark Knight. It will make a crapload obviously but The Dark Knight's box office takings was a once in a decade type of deal.

As far as quality goes, I hope for it be at least as good as Batman Begins, if it's as good as that, I will be very content. If it's even better than that, i'll be immensely thrilled. If it's as good as The Dark Knight (it's won't be) then I will probably go to the IMAX to see it more than 3 times.
I think people come out in droves when they know there will be quality. They came out for Avatar to the tune of $2 Billion+ because they know that James Cameron makes quality.

Christopher Nolan is acheiving that kind of status. They came out for Inception for a worldwide $800 million. People didn't come out for Batman Begins because they were thinking, "here we go again" more crappy reboots for $$$. Then they saw it on DVD and said "hang on, this is a quality picture", that made them come out for TDK, and now everyone has a frenzied anticipation for TDKR.

I said it before but if they come out to the tune of $1 Billion for that pile of **** Transformers 3, then they are coming out for TDKR.

I reckon $1.2-$1.5 Billion. AT least a noticable increase on TDK takings of $1 Billion.

People coming out in droves for quality is a statement about the film's opening: whether or not they keep coming out will depend on whether or not The Dark Knight Rises is about as good as its predecessor. That's the idea here: the quality of the last film helps determine how the next one opens, but its total cume beyond that is a product of how good this one is.

Again, it's important to emphasize the distinction between worldwide box office and domestic box office. It's far more plausible that it matches The Dark Knight in the former than the latter. You mentioned Transformers as a comparison to establish a baseline, but how well a film does overseas has a lot less to do with quality than you might think. Lots of great films do very badly overseas because they don't translate as well across cultures. Transformers can be dumb, but spectacle it promises travels well across borders.