Drive

→ in
Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
That depends on how many people actually watched Drive. It didn't sold many tickets (about 5 million) and I guess less than 10% of the US population actually saw it, either in cinema (1.5% of the US population) from downloading or from dvd/bluray, probably around 4-5% of the US population, so most people will not know what the scorpion jacket is.
While this isn't false, it doesn't consider the crowd of people Blue Lion would be hanging around. I doubt more than .1% of the 60+ population went to see it, but I bet a lot more of Blue Lion's peers and friends went to see it than the average suggests. A majority of the people in my school saw it when it some time between when it came out and now. We surround ourselves with at least moderately similar people. I know I couldn't get away with the jacket (even though I bear a resemblance to Gosling as many have told me) where I am because I don't live in a preschool or an elderly home.

I see. That's actually not very different from saying "the US", considering the size of the US.
What is this saying?

Finished here. It's been fun.
It's just too damn cool.

I have a jacket that is quite similar to Gosling's, but I've been contemplating ordering the scorpion jacket. That would either make me look very cool and act as a p*ssy magnet, or make people go "lol, look at him he thinks he's Ryan Gosling, what a tool". Which one's more likely? The latter, of course. Which is why I think I shouldn't.
I have been debating buying the scorpion jacket as well. It's so awesome. Quite the price tag though. Isn't it like $160 or something in that range?

I have been debating buying the scorpion jacket as well. It's so awesome. Quite the price tag though. Isn't it like $160 or something in that range?
I've no idea how expensive it is. Usually when I really want something I don't care about the price, but I'm not sure if I really want it.

I feel like only Ryan Gosling could pull off this jacket now. But damn, just look at it. I bet you would feel 10x tougher with that thing on.

Just take a midnight walk with it on, and stare down any shady people you come across.

1st time I really like Ryan Gosling in the movie of Drive. The movie is OK but the outfit of Ryan Gosling is great. And you know guys is my upcoming Halloween Outfit. Thanks Moviestarjacket.com!

1st time I really like Ryan Gosling in the movie of Drive. The movie is OK but the outfit of Ryan Gosling is great. And you know guys is my upcoming Halloween Outfit. Thanks Moviestarjacket.com!
Carlos? Is that you?

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I have to admit, I'm not going to be one of the MoFos who will be *raving* about "Drive." Don't get me wrong, it was an above-average film that was engaging enough. I'm just not jumping up and down about it. Take away the awesome score/music & take away Ryan Gosling: you'd have a 6/10 or lower.

I could tell that A LOT of people leaving the theater were disappointed. "Drive" was marketed as a sort of indie homage to "Gone in 60 Seconds," and I think that most people probably bought their tickets under the impression that it would be "Fast & Furious" for grown ups. As soon as I saw Refn's name attached to the film, I knew it would end up being more artistic and cerebral (vis-a-vis "Bronson")...so since that's what I was expecting, I wasn't as miffed as some of the other folks.

I wasn't disappointed by "Drive," - I pretty much knew what I was in for. It was just missing that little *extra* something, you know? I wasn't emotionally invested, and I really wanted to be. It's almost as if it was too cool.

To say "Take away the awesome score/music & take away Ryan Gosling: you'd have a 6/10 or lower," is like saying "Take away all the main actors of Ocean's Eleven, along with director Steven Soderbergh: you'd have a 1/10." The music and Ryan Gosling both made the movie what it is. I will be the first to admit that Ryan Gosling will always be stereotyped as the "tight lipped, melancholic hero," but that was perfect for this role. I see this movie as one "artistic" in nature, and when viewing artistic movies, I feel they can be viewed on two planes. One plane, is where you identify with the emotion that art is producing. The second plane, is you recognize the piece (or film in this respect) as a vessel of art (in the whole and abstract form), and view it in that context. For me, i viewed it in the second plane. For me, watching Drive was like watching a visual hedonist experience for the eyes, coupled with a musical decadence for those born in the 90s. Not only did the music create the independent feel for the movie, but it immediately set it apart from anything but post opening sequence. If people were looking or hoping for a more adult version of Gone in Sixty Seconds, or Fast and Furious, then I can see why they were disappointed. In truth, I felt this was more of a love story, that happened to be told in the explained setting/context. The cold exterior of Ryan Gosling's character, made subtle references to his inability to truly love and trust and let go of his false sense of lonesome despair, by the final sacrifice he made for the female. To me it felt more like a spaghetti western in the sense, that there were slow, drawn sequences, interrupted by quick, but brutal fight scenes, leading up to a climatic third act. This movie was very reminiscent of the "The Man with No Name" movies Clint Eastwood did (in regards to subtlety of plot and timing). For me, i give this movie a 4.5 out of 5, view it as an abstract expression of one man's ability to express his love the only way he can....to drive....(i know, that gave me the "douche" chills as well).

Blame the marketing department for the misunderstanding. If you watch the trailer, it's nothing like the movie at all. I'm glad I watched the movie before seeing any of these horrible trailers.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Blame the marketing department for the misunderstanding. If you watch the trailer, it's nothing like the movie at all. I'm glad I watched the movie before seeing any of these horrible trailers.

Yeah the trailers made it seem like some incredibly fast paced action flick akin to say Fast and the Furious.

really an awesome movie to watch.. impressive acting by Ryan Gosling and awarded for lots. my side it should be 5 stars

I watched it recently, I liked it for its own style, I don't get the Taxi Driver comparisons however.

It's like it's the same film really, the only difference being Taxi Driver is essentially a drama whilst Drive belongs more to the thriller/action/neo-noir genre.

IDK, maybe I'm just erked by someone actually comparing to my beloved Taxi Driver.

I wouldn't call Travis quiet, more like socially awkward. The Driver is quiet, prefers to use actions as talk, I don't find that very awkward, unorthodox yes.

Taxi Driver is gritty and grimy, Drive came off as really slick and glamourous.

I'd buy something with similar style, but not an identical copy - that would just scream "fanboy" to me.