Drive

→ in
Tools    

I definitely felt letdown by DRIVE. It may have the best soundtrack of last year but I wouldn't even put it in my Top 10 films of last year.

For me the plot was pretty weak and I never felt connected to any of the characters. Mulligan had a pretty solid performance though. Definitely better than your average automotive action film but I just couldn't get into this film.

I don't see how you could criticize it for the plot being weak. If a director wants a simple story, then I don't see why he or she can't have one. Is that a problem nowadays, or what?

For me the plot was pretty weak and I never felt connected to any of the characters. Mulligan had a pretty solid performance though. Definitely better than your average automotive action film but I just couldn't get into this film.
I've come to the conclusion that it's just not for everyone. I really really liked it and don't really consider it an automotive action film. To me it was a love story and was really focused on a soft spoken, nameless, stranger, who is willing to protect with his life the two people in the world that he believes deserve not to be hurt. Willing to go to extremes like helping her husband and skull crushery.

But to be honest a lot of people liked Ron Perlman in it, but every time he was on screen it took me out of the movie completely. I cringe when I think back on, "That is one mother ****in fine ass pussy mobile mother ****er". Gosling, Mulligan, Brooks, and Cranston were great though.

Prob in my top 5 for 2011.

Yeah, I think you just have to accept the simplicity of the story, Way To Indie. It is refreshingly simple imo, and I think it is that very simplicity that translate into the spectator's performances, using suggestions and body language to convey depth. It seems like a cop out, but I happened to find a lot going on there.

I think it also gave Refn space to do his thing with the overall style of the film, which is stunning at times.

But to be honest a lot of people liked Ron Perlman in it, but every time he was on screen it took me out of the movie completely. I cringe when I think back on, "That is one mother ****in fine ass pussy mobile mother ****er". Gosling, Mulligan, Brooks, and Cranston were great though.
If you're not big on the guy, I could see how his performance would wind one up. But I thought it was a nice bit of casting against type. Besides Blade 2, I don't think I have ever seen Pearlman in an unsympathetic role, and he is surprisingly effective at playing such characters.

Anyways, like you said, this film isn't for everyone. There seems to be two set minds when people go into the film:

A) That it's going to be a dumb, fun action adventure with pimped up automobiles and stuff, like in the Fast & Furious series.

B) That it will be completely the opposite to A - that it's going to be this mega complex indie flick that's disguised as an action thriller.

As most will know by now, it's neither. To quote another user on imdb, Drive is a discourse in filmmaking. I'm mostly attracted to the tone of a film and whether or not I care about a character, regardless of if I hate them or not, and Drive ticked these things for me. If you're not big on neo noir or films that attempt to tell the story through atmosphere and great use of mise-en-scene then it's not the film for you.

Maybe the best film I have ever seen. I've watched a thousand movies - some of them several time (junkie) - Drive is perfect. Love it.

But, that said, everyone to their own cup of tea. For me, this IS the perfect film.

But to be honest a lot of people liked Ron Perlman in it, but every time he was on screen it took me out of the movie completely.
I kinda had that feeling too, but I think only because his character was just so naturally and immediately unsavory, which of course helps the satisfaction when he leaves.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This is one of my favorite movies ever. It's such a badass movie.

^Definitely. This was the movie that made me see films in a different light.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Drive is my favourite Refn film and a true modern classic.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It's just too damn cool.

I have a jacket that is quite similar to Gosling's, but I've been contemplating ordering the scorpion jacket. That would either make me look very cool and act as a p*ssy magnet, or make people go "lol, look at him he thinks he's Ryan Gosling, what a tool". Which one's more likely? The latter, of course. Which is why I think I shouldn't.

That depends on how many people actually watched Drive. It didn't sold many tickets (about 5 million) and I guess less than 10% of the US population actually saw it, either in cinema (1.5% of the US population) from downloading or from dvd/bluray, probably around 4-5% of the US population, so most people will not know what the scorpion jacket is.

Actually, PMMM was seem by a larger fraction of the Japanese population than that.

That depends on how many people actually watched Drive. It didn't sold many tickets (about 5 million) and I guess less than 10% of the US population actually saw it, either in cinema (1.5% of the US population) from downloading or from dvd/bluray, probably around 4-5% of the US population, so most people will not know what the scorpion jacket is.
That is exactly what I've been thinking. And I'm not even from the US, so where I come from probably not even 1% of the population has seen it. I'm still thinking about it.

If I buy it, the first thing I'll do is wear it, go out for a drive and listen to this kind of music while driving

Just kidding, I have no interest in cars at all. But you get the idea.

I definitely felt letdown by DRIVE. It may have the best soundtrack of last year but I wouldn't even put it in my Top 10 films of last year.
I have noticed that I am incredibly influenced by the soundtrack of the movie, almost all my favorite movies have soundtracks that I love.

I am a huge Nicolaus Winding Refn fan and I thought this was his worse movie so far that I have seen. Perhaps because its an American made film by a Danish director. It does not hold up to the standards of his other films like "Pusher", "With Blood On My Hands: Pusher 2", "Bleeder", "Fear X" and "Bronson". I did not put "Valhalla Rising" with those films as this is the only artistic film by Winding Refn. But to me "Drive" was horrible. It fit along with all the other "American" films. It lacked the depth that his "Danish" films carry.

Seriously, Winding Refn needs to dump Ryan Gosling and go back to using Mads.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
OMG I think a Black/Dark Scorpion jacket would be hella cool. I want one.

"How about this, shut your mouth or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you".