A new Flash Gordon?

Tools    

Big Chico's Movie Blog

I think there is a conspiracy in Hollywood to destroy every movie I have cherished over the last 25 years with lame remakes and retarded sequels. I recently learned from HollyScoop that outstanding actor Sam Worthington is in the running for the lead in the new Flash Gordon movie due in 2012.

Here’s a synopsis for my beloved Flash Gordon movie:
All-American football player Flash Gordon and the beautiful Dale Arden find themselves unwilling participants in the experiment of the slightly mad scientist Dr. Zarkov. The three of them are transported to the planet Mongo, ruled with an iron fist by the evil Ming the Merciless. Flash, Dale, and Zarkov soon team up with the planet's resistance movement to overthrow Ming and bring peace to Mongo. Written by rmlohner
Not only do I believe they are going to ruin a movie I have loved since 1980 like SYFY channel did a couple of years ago with the Flash Gordon TV show, but they also are considering Ryan Reynolds for the lead role of Flash Gordon. Ryan Reynolds is a fine actor and I can’t wait to see him in Green Lantern and Deadpool, but he is NOT FLASH GORDON. Sam Worthington would be perfect as a charming football player who can kick-@$$, and has to save the world. Worthington showed us how good of an action star he could be with the movie Terminator: Salvation and will surly knock our socks off in Clash of the Titans.

Even though I’m a Worthington and Reynolds fan doesn’t mean I want to see this movie made with ether. The 80’s Flash Gordon was all about fantasy and the sound track was written and performed by iconic super group Queen. The movie had vibrant colors and heart wrenching beats that accompanied every scene.

Flash was the hero of my youth. Like Batman, he was just man who fought for what he believed in with nothing more than his brawn and determination to win the day. Was Flash the greatest action movie of all time? Not even close, but it was one of the first well done comic book hero movies of its time and I don’t want to see its memory destroyed by the new CGI realism that seems to be taking over Hollywood.

Last I heard this was slated for 2011 and had Breck Eisnerdirecting. If you go to the Thoughts On Remakes thread, page 7 onwards, you'll see quite a list of films that I found were being remade or were rumoured to be remade.

Big Chico's Movie Blog
Last I heard this was slated for 2011 and had Breck Eisnerdirecting. If you go to the Thoughts On Remakes thread, page 7 onwards, you'll see quite a list of films that I found were being remade or were rumoured to be remade.
An updated IMDB has it slated for 2012.

Flash Gordon has to be one of the most ill movies of all time. Needs a remake (although I don't know if the stroy even warrents one).

Buck Rogers (Tim Burton?) sounds more interesting.

Although I think Lucas should do Buck Rogers, but George is really only a quasi-film maker. More a business man.

Flash Gordon has to be one of the most ill movies of all time. Needs a remake (although I don't know if the stroy even warrents one).

Someone needs a "talking to" Unless by Ill you mean awesome.

Such blasphemy...counting to 10....no wait 1,000.

Back when I was hip, "Ill" meant good. Who knows nowadays though.

This a definitely one of my guilty pleasure movies. You know, the movies you secretly love to watch but would be too embarrassed to tell your friends about. People think this is a dumb movie and it really is. But it is not trying to be Schindler's List here. DeLaurentis was unabashedly paying homage to the Flash Gordon of the 40's and he succeeded wonderfully. .......................

This a definitely one of my guilty pleasure movies. You know, the movies you secretly love to watch but would be too embarrassed to tell your friends about. People think this is a dumb movie and it really is. But it is not trying to be Schindler's List here. DeLaurentis was unabashedly paying homage to the Flash Gordon of the 40's and he succeeded wonderfully. .......................

I'm in my forties. Ill means bad.

Okay, I watched it about six months ago just for a kick. Man it was bad. Had not seen it since it came out - but really, how could anyone like this movie?

Okay, I watched it about six months ago just for a kick.

Exactly why I love the film, it certainly gives a "kick". I actually understand if not agree with your dislike: One man's dislike is another man's love.

Do you have an ex wife?