Does anybody remember Bloodsport?

Tools    

When I said "That's all", it went with the sentence in front of it. Your's seems to mean that you are done talking to me about this. That is fine, but I'm still going to ramble on a bit more . . .

His first film was actually about football. It stars Goldie Hawn, and is rather cute, in my opinion. I doubt many here have seen it, though.

Wildcats (1986)

As far as any others that I have seen, and liked, there was Major League (1989), To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995), One Night Stand (1997), and Blade (1998). These films are why I say he is different than those other two. They've never gone that far. I'm hardly saying he's done numerous, amazing films. I'm simply saying that when you said that he never graduated from the cheesy martial arts films from the 80's, I said he did. Especially since he was never really into them back then. None that I know of.

It seems as though my opinion on this has bothered you. If so, I'm not sure why it would. Maybe I'm just reading you wrong.

I am half agony, half hope.
This is my first Wesley Snipes movie:

And, call me names if you like, but I like JCVD movies. My favorites of the ones I've seen are Hard Target and Sudden Death.

Johann von Goethe

I've not seen Jungle Fever. Did you like it?

I own more than a few Claude Hopper movies. I got a kick out of them. I haven't watched any in forever. I own both Hard Target, and Sudden Death. If Hard Target is the one I am thinking of, it disturbed me. It's the only one I seriously regretted buying.

Honestly, out of the three, I probably own more of Jean's movies.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is my first Wesley Snipes movie:

And, call me names if you like, but I like JCVD movies. My favorites of the ones I've seen are Hard Target and Sudden Death.
So what did you think of those trippy opening credits? As far as Van Damme goes, my faves of his are the two he made with director Peter Hyams, Timecop and Sudden Death, but I haven't watched any films he made after those. I just might rent JCVD when it comes to DVD though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sudden Death is great, Power Booth as the villain....is there anything else you need? Oh yeah, a death by chicken bone.

Timecop is another favourite of mine, Van Damme plays yet another dual role in this one, one of the better ones in which he plays himself/twin/clone or whatever he has been doing lately.

Hard Target
is something I have never seen. I just never got the chance to watch it, caught some of it on TV but decided against watching the rest because I wanted to watch the whole thing.

Maximum Risk is a nice little film that seemed to have been disregarded. People should give this one a chance, it's not bad!!!

Double Team....okay, that one sucked. Knock Off too, it was his buddy action flick.

I am not too familiar with his straight to DVD stuff, but apparently Wake of Death is one of the better ones. TNT had a Van Damme Wednesday night for a while....I admit to watching those.

Also people should watch The Quest, his directorial debut. I don't think he's directed anything big since then.

Suspect's Reviews

Classically bad film. I'm surprised no one ever mentions Van-Damme's co-star in Bloodsport Donald Gibb (aka. Ogre from the Revenge of the Nerd films).

Back to Van-Damme, have to say I lost a little respect for him after he was decked at a bar in New York. Since then, he sorta disappeared from the public.

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
Honestly, out of the three, I probably own more of Jean's movies.
Well, Wesley Snipes wins by one.

Wesley Snipes:

Blade: Trinity (2004)
Blade II (2002)
The Art of War (2000)
Blade (1998)
U.S. Marshals (1998)
One Night Stand (1997)
Murder at 1600 (1997)
The Fan (1996)
To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995)
Demolition Man (1993)
Rising Sun (1993)
Boiling Point (1993)
Passenger 57 (1992)
New Jack City (1991)
Major League (1989)
Wildcats (1986)

Jean Claude Van Damme:

Replicant (2001)
Maximum Risk (1996)
Sudden Death (1995)
Street Fighter (1994)
Timecop (1994)
Hard Target (1993)
Nowhere to Run (1993)
Universal Soldier (1992)
Double Impact (1991)
Death Warrant (1990)
Lionheart (1990)
Kickboxer (1989)
Cyborg (1989)
Bloodsport (1988)
No Retreat, No Surrender (1986)

Steven Seagal:

Under Siege (1992)

I believe that's all I own of his. I hope so, anyway. I really can't stand him, or his two to three moves.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Sudden Death is great, Power Booth as the villain....is there anything else you need? Oh yeah, a death by chicken bone.
I haven't watched that in years. I don't recall the bulk of it. I didn't even remember Powers Boothe being in it. I prefer him as a good guy, though. I really like him. He is also in my movie Rapid Fire, which stars Brandon Lee.

Death by chicken bone would be Hello Again (1987), starring Shelley Long. More 80's cheese. I own enough cheese to block the elephants at the zoo.

Timecop is another favourite of mine, Van Damme plays yet another dual role in this one, one of the better ones in which he plays himself/twin/clone or whatever he has been doing lately.
To me, this one is just so so. Out of all the sci-fi films of his that I own, I prefer him, and Dolph Lundgren, in Universal Soldier. I know that Cyborg is really popular, but again, not a favorite of mine. His other sci-fi film that I own would be Replicant, which again is just so so. He has two characters in that one, as well. Let's face it, the dude really loves himself.

Hard Target is something I have never seen. I just never got the chance to watch it, caught some of it on TV but decided against watching the rest because I wanted to watch the whole thing.
I just looked this up, and that is the one that I didn't like. It's the torture type scenes that bothered me. I wish I could hand you my copy.

Maximum Risk is a nice little film that seemed to have been disregarded. People should give this one a chance, it's not bad!!!
This is one of the better ones, in my opinion. I liked the story, and action. I'm sure you guys don't mind seeing 'a lot' of Natasha Henstridge in it, either.

Double Team....okay, that one sucked. Knock Off too, it was his buddy action flick.
I've never even watched Double Team. I avoided it on purpose. I don't think I've viewed, or even knew about Knock Off. I'll take your word on it sucking, but that's ashame. I love me some Paul Sorvino.

I am not too familiar with his straight to DVD stuff, but apparently Wake of Death is one of the better ones. TNT had a Van Damme Wednesday night for a while....I admit to watching those.

Also people should watch The Quest, his directorial debut. I don't think he's directed anything big since then.
I've never payed any attention to which of his movies were at the theater, or straight to DVD, since I only buy mine. I haven't seen either of the two that you just named, although I do believe that I caught a small part of The Quest on TV years ago.

Lordy, some days I can just talk/type, and talk/type!

Bloodsport is awesome, I remember seeing it on Versus recently actually after 10 PM they play it from time to time. Definitely a fighting movie classic.

Lol, seems we have some closet JCVD fans out there! JCVD (the film) does look very promising, I must admit. I assume it's going straight to DVD?

My fav from the Van Daminator has to be Universal Soldier. Good action thriller that was. Dolph was funny as the villain too. Hard Target was wicked as well from what i remember. I might have to watch it again to see if it still holds up as a good action flick, though. Double Impact was notable only for that hot arse blonde girl Van Damme got to bang. Lucky bastard.

Bloodsport was the shizz back in the day!! Van Damme fans seemed to choose Bloodsport, Kickboxer, or Timecop for their alltime but personally I always had a thing for "Cyborg". I don't know I found it exciting as a kid.

My fav from the Van Daminator has to be Universal Soldier. Good action thriller that was. Dolph was funny as the villain too. Hard Target was wicked as well from what i remember. I might have to watch it again to see if it still holds up as a good action flick, though. Double Impact was notable only for that hot arse blonde girl Van Damme got to bang. Lucky bastard.
Nowhere to Run is one of the better ones too, in my opinion. It has Rosanna Arquette, and Kieran Culkin in it.

p.s. I don't keep his movies in the closet. They're out on the bookshelves with all the others.

That's it, Des, be Out and Proud about your JVCD love. I'm still slightly ashamed of mine...
hehe Yeah, he was cool, back when I was younger, and loved his fighting techniques. He's done a few things since then that made me change my mind. I'd still watch his films, though. Well, those older films. I haven't really cared for any of the newer ones. Nothing since the mid to late 90's, anyway.

i tried to respect the guy, if only for my fond memories of the cheesy 80s, but watching the interview where he called himself "wham bam thank you damme" cemented my burgeoning distaste for him. a part of me will always wonder if he thought of the "wham bam thank you van damme" moniker before or after he changed his name to van damme. little things. oh, if only he hadnt turned desperate manwhore. anyone can google a recent lapse of judgment in his 11/2008 newsweek interview:

it's no surprise that he hit on a 22-year-old reporter from Newsweek during an interview.

Sarah Ball talked to 48-year-old Jean-Claude about his new movie "JCVD" and the conversation quickly turned creepy. Oh and JC is currently married to wifey #5:

Beautiful? Why?
I really opened myself up in "JCVD." I peeled back the skin of the fruit, cut the pulp and then took that very hard seed. In this film I cut that hard seed, and inside that seed was a kind of liquid cream substance of the man I am, or the woman you are.

OK —
It was like being naked—I would love to be naked in front of you.

Well, I —
Not being naked being naked. I say such things in Hong Kong and they thought I was being a crazy Frenchman. Being naked of protection.

So you've no regrets at all?
Believe me—I've done very good stuff and very crazy stuff, and I don't regret the crazy stuff. So are you in New York?

Yes, I am.
And are you 27, or 32?

I 'm 22.
Oh, ****. That is very young. Will you come to the premiere?

I don't know. When is it?
I don't know. You will wear all black, a black dress and high heels?

Uh —
You can come find me, I will be the one with the very broad shoulders, dark hair and a simple suit. We can have some champagne, you and me.
guys like VD either need to know when to fold 'em, or when to grow a personality.

to be fair, the one recent movie he did that I enjoyed (marginally so), was In Hell.

I watched a few Van Damme movies when I was a kid. I remember TimeCop and Kickboxer mainly. Haven't watched one of his films in years but I saw Kickboxer not so long ago. It made me laugh more than anything. I bet Van Damme's films are those I'd enjoy more now after a night at the pub.

On a side note, did anyone hear the story of Van Damme and Seagal nearly having a fight at a Sylvester Stallone party?

SEAGAL AND VAN DAMME FISTICUFFS AT STALLONE PARTY

Action stars JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME and STEVEN SEAGAL came to blows in the late 1990s - after a row over which man was more tough. The pair squared up to one another at a party hosted by fellow action star Sylvester Stallone, in a bid to settle which actor could "kick the other's ass". Stallone tells British magazine FHM, "At a party in my home in Miami in 1997, Van Damme was tired of Seagal claiming he could kick his ass so he offered Seagal outside into my back yard. "Seagal made his excuses and left. But Van Damme, who was berserk, tracked him down at a nightclub and offered him out again." The pair's fight never materialised, but Stallone is confident who would have triumphed in the brawl. He adds, "Van Damme was too strong. Seagal wanted none of it."

05/02/2008 06:51:55

LINK

That's pretty funny, I wonder if that really happened.