Black Hawk Down

→ in
Tools    

MEMEMTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and-
amelie
jay and silent bob strike back
The royal tennenbaums

hell, shrek was better than Black Hawk Down
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
In The Mood For Love

Originally posted by Utopia/Dystopia
In The Mood For Love
Yup.

I thought that Black Hawk Down was an amazing film.Firstly, it looked wonderful, and I think it proves what Ridley Scott can really do (and that Gladiator was so not a fair gauge). The cinematography and direction was top notch (and well worthy of the Oscar nominations).

The film itself was great in the respect that it could be anyone, anywar, anywhere and at any time. I liked the way that it wasn't about the characters back story's just about the men beside them, so to speak. It was a look at war unlike most others we've had lately. It's hard to describe, allthough I know exactly how I feel.

It was a film that made me grimace in anger, pain and despair. When that guy was reaching for the photo, I was nearly crying. I was just so sick of the f*cked up nature of war. And I think that's what the film does -- it takes the glory out of war, something that the majority of films tend not to do. They turn war into a party for the Gods.

The audience kept trying to find ways to get out. The woman in front of me turned around to ask me to not put my knees in her seat, when they were nowhere near it -- I am convinced that she needed an escape from the screen. People were chuckling when they saw a dog on screen. People laughed at the "deaf guy" -- although that was just as tragic as anything else in the film. They just looked for places to escape. They wanted to escape the war and carnage and terror on screen.

And in that respect, I think the film suceeds.
It isn't about America. It isn't about patriotism. Or heroes.
It's about the true nature of war.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Yes, I agree with Silver.

During the extremely graphic scenes it became rather intense, particularly during the 'operating' scene........and I was forced to turn towards my friend and crack a joke.

The cinematography was also superb, and I now see why as it was the same man who often collaberated with Krzysztof Kieslowski.

BlackHawk Down I thought was done quite well honestly. The reason being because it was not only accurate but I feel it did justice to the events that occured in Somalia.

I say this because of how the movie Pearl Harbor was produced. Pearl Harbor depicted well the tragedy but I think people got more caught up in the evolving love triangle. In this movie you werent sure what was actual fact and what was Hollywood.

With BlackHawk Down there wasnt much exaggeration. I feel that the extras, even though it was done tastifully, in Pearl Harbor took away from the actual event.

I give BlackHawk Down 3.5 out of five stars and recommend it to anyone who likes to learn about history without the boredom!!

Pearl Harbor depicted well the tragedy...
Ah, what?!

...but I think people got more caught up in the evolving love triangle...
Ah, what?! It was so badly done, there was no chemistry, and the majority of the audience wanted to see them all go down in flames. They were hateable.

What I meant when I said "Pearl Harbor depicted well the tragedy" was that the movie Pearl Harbor accomplished trying to give us a sense of what happened on Dec 7. I hope you agree that it was a tragedy but i am sorry if I didnt convey my thoughts understandably.

And about the romance in Pearl Harbor...I agree wholeheartedly in that most people wanted to seem them "go down in flames." What I was trying to say is that I didnt like how they added the whole romance thing. In a way it took away from the credibility of the movie.

This is because going into the movie I had expected I guess more of a documentary: Not half Hollywood and half documentary because then you have to deciper what may or may not be true. I compared the two BlackHawk Down and Pearl Harbor because I thought that BlackHawk Down did a better job in relation. It for the most part did not adlib.

Maybe I still dont make sense...if thats the case, sorry!!

I think what bothered me the most about the movie is that this stuff really happened less than ten years ago. It's one thing to make up a story and place it in the setting of the Vietnam War, or WWII, but some of these people are still alive and some of their families are still alive. And there I was sitting in a movie theater watching their friend/family die on a big screen for entertainment while munching popcorn.

You bring up a good point. But do you think that the movie was done tastifully? I mean yes we just sitting there watching death and war for entertainment purposes but do you think it properly paid tribute to what happened??

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
You have to think about what they died for, and what the cause was. At the end they list all those that died, and whatnot.

I thought that, yeah it is a tragedy that took place, but they helped hundreds of thousands of lives. Vietnam War is as equal to the basis for Black Hawk Down in terms of those still alive and such. My dad was in Vietnam and he's still alive. My uncle was in Vietnam and he's still alive. So when you watch a movie like We Were Soldiers, stop and ask yourself that question again about families and whatnot.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I thought that, yeah it is a tragedy that took place, but they helped hundreds of thousands of lives. Vietnam War is as equal to the basis for Black Hawk Down in terms of those still alive and such.
I'd argue the point about them helping hundreds of thousands of lives. How many Somali kids were left without fathers after that onslaught in Black Hawk Down? Thousands, literally. Only 19 American men died in that particular battle.

And I think most people agree now that Vietnam was as pointless a war as America ever took part. It didn't help anybody. It just killed a lot of Viet-cong and a lot of young Americans.

I don't want to really argue about this movie. It provoked some really strong emotions in me. My temper boils just thinking about it and it gets me down for the whole day. I don't know when, or if, I've hated a movie so much. As an example of filmmaking, I felt it was very professionally handled, even if its script was below par, but as for its politics and its racial slurs, I feel it should have been condemned, or at least the American military should have been. People seemed to have glossed over the American military's mistakes in an effort to praise the soldier's heroism. America goofed up big time in Somalia and yet this was never highlighted. And in line with the world of today, I felt it would have been more beneficial if the movie attempted to find a voice for the Somali people instead of treating them like a silenced enemy.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think Hollywood just tries looking for army stories that end bad and whatnot. Of the last few war movies released, some of which were BASED on a true story, those kind of movies are and have been released a lot lately.

My above statement, which you quoted, really contradicted itself when I mentioned Vietnam. So basically, war movies should really be treated like glass, fragile, and very very breakable. The subject matter, regardless of if it's post 9-11 or pre 9-11, true stories about war are not something that should be put on the big screen, IMO.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski

I'd argue the point about them helping hundreds of thousands of lives. How many Somali kids were left without fathers after that onslaught in Black Hawk Down? Thousands, literally. Only 19 American men died in that particular battle.
Aren't you forgetting that this was a mission to give food to starving people? The U.S. was defending innocents. Whether they went about it the right way once the innocents were fired upon can be debated, but that was still the situation. I think that seems like an adequate context to tell the story in. You're making it sound like we were invading the country.

Of course, this is not what the movie addresses. This is just what I got out of it.

And I think most people agree now that Vietnam was as pointless a war as America ever took part. It didn't help anybody. It just killed a lot of Viet-cong and a lot of young Americans.
Robert F. Kennedy said something to the effect of "___ lives were lost so that communism wouldn't be 3000 miles away instead of 4000." I'm paraphrasing. He was much more eloquent than that. But anyway, Vietnam was pointless. I'm glad we agree about something.

I don't want to really argue about this movie. It provoked some really strong emotions in me. My temper boils just thinking about it and it gets me down for the whole day. I don't know when, or if, I've hated a movie so much. As an example of filmmaking, I felt it was very professionally handled, even if its script was below par, but as for its politics and its racial slurs, I feel it should have been condemned, or at least the American military should have been. People seemed to have glossed over the American military's mistakes in an effort to praise the soldier's heroism. America goofed up big time in Somalia and yet this was never highlighted. And in line with the world of today, I felt it would have been more beneficial if the movie attempted to find a voice for the Somali people instead of treating them like a silenced enemy.
Imagine that the Somali people killed in the movie were white. Maybe then you would understand that they are depicted just as "the enemy", as in countless other war movies. And it may have been beneficial if the movie took a more political approach to the situation, but it didn't. And it's a remarkable achievement.
And I've already addressed the racial slurs, which are in every other war movie, good and bad, that I can remember.

Originally posted by Kramer22
You bring up a good point. But do you think that the movie was done tastifully? I mean yes we just sitting there watching death and war for entertainment purposes but do you think it properly paid tribute to what happened??
I'm not sure. I think that maybe I don't know enough about the real events to make a judgement like that. I kind of feel like it doesn't even matter if it properly paid tribute to what happened or not -- people still are going and watching it for entertainment. Obviously, it was made for the specific purpose of getting a whole bunch of people to pay to go and see it, and that's the part that bothers me.

And to the points about how there are other movies that are based on true stories...perhaps that's true. There are lots of movies that use the Vietnam War as the setting, and that's something that's probably still pretty raw in the minds of a lot of people. I think that what got me about this one is that these are specific people. Not fictional characters in a real event. And that it took place only eight and a half years ago.

My god this movie was boring and repetiitive.

Originally posted by morbidodyssey
My god this movie was boring and repetiitive.
What made it Boring & repetitive inlighten me. With the subject matter at hand you can not escape some Repetitiveness but boring I think not. It was pure action, like the last 50 mins of Where Eagles Dare or the last 40 min of On Her Majesty's Secret Service but for longer more along the lines of an 1 and half. Boring I ***** you not.

Yeah , there was a tiny but somewhat plot , and the action(war scenes) were the same thing for like 90 minutes straight!