Worst Directors Of All Time

Tools    

I have been meaning to respond on the spin-off discussion about, John Waters. It is abit misleading to label him as a love'em or hate'em director, but there is some truth to that statement.

He has such a wide range of movies through out his career & that makes it hard to pick a John Waters film that would be a great introduction to someone who isn't familiar with his work. This is especially true when you talk to people who have seen only one of the 'Trash Trilogy' movies & I say only one because anyone who was revolted by 'Pink Flamingo' aren't going to give him a second chance by watching 'Female Troubles' or 'Desperate Living.'

You could try 'Hairspray' 'Cry-Baby' 'Serial Mom' or even 'Pecker' but then you turn off those who have a vulgar sense of humor. So the closest thing to a middle ground with Waters would be, 'Cecil B. Demented' but, I didn't enjoy it as much as other people.

Another thing about Waters is, there are alot of movies where he was a major part in the creation by writing the script or casting & even directing that he has done under a pseudonym since they are the type of projects you would never guess that John Waters was instrumental in creating, but if his name was associated with such a movie they would assume it is another in his own words,"Exercise in poor taste." Usually he will use an alliterated name just like he uses when he names his characters, so that is the only real hint you get when you are trying to discover which movies he has done under a pseudonym.

The only movie that I know he has been apart of without using his real name 'The Little Mermaid' believe it or not. He was instrumental in coming up with the concept of Ursula who was inspired by Divine. He is the one who conceived Flotsam & Jetsam & though this is only a rumor, it is believed that he was the co-writer of the script along with with Roger Allers, because Waters is a huge fan on Hans Christian Andersen & owns several first editions installments of his fairy tales.

Anyways, back to work. Everyone has a good day.
Good post, Sir. I pretty much agree with everything you said here, and I would never suggest Pink Flamingos to anyone as an introduction to John Waters, although it's undoubtedly his most famous (or notorious) work. However, it's also my least favorite John Waters film (although I haven't seen Multiple Maniacs which, from its reputation, might beat out PF for that dubious honor). I would agree that Cecil B. Demented might be the best choice to introduce someone to Waters' true style in a "gentle" way, although perhaps Polyester might be an even better choice. It's certainly one of my favorite movies of his.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Is your handle a reference to Memnon of greek mythology or a reference to 'The Scoprion King?' There are other Memnons throughout history & literature, but the two mentioned are the most common.
Thanks for recognizing that I might have gotten the name from somewhere other than the Agamemnon character in Troy.
I've actually been using that name for a long time, well before that movie came out. And when I found out how he was being portrayed in the movie, I wasn't all that happy... from everything I have read, he was not supposed to be like the person portrayed.
I actually decided on the name after seeing that, like you said, there had been numerous people with that name throughout history, each of whom distinguished himself in one way or another. I liked the history of the name, knowing that there were real world people, some even known as heroes in their time, as well as the mythological reference... plus, in the end, I also just like the way it sounds.

Anways, before I forget.. Memnon, I find your light hearted posts refreshing, most people online are looking to show there superiority through hateful & insulting comments.
thank you...

When all is said and done on these forums we are all just people wanting to communicate with each other... and I've never wanted to have anyone ever come away from a discussion with me thinking that I am like the things you mentioned some people use in their posts.
Hopefully, at worst they may think I'm silly, or uncultured, or just a goof (doesn't hurt that I kinda am those things ).

Certifiably troglodytic.
Hell the Old Testament in the King James Bible is a miscommunication. Not only is it written in the predecessor of what is now known as modern english, it is written in verse. Which makes the translation from Hebrew to English all the more complicated because there are no vowels in the Hebrew alphabet. So for 400 years & long before then, Nations have been built, societies have crumbled, & millions of gallons of blood has been shed over a typographical error.
Overall, I'm with you. I can jive with your sentiments here, but isn't the above statement a wee-bit logically sloped?

I'm actually not sure I follow at all. I mean, I can vaguely imagine it would be easy to lose something in the translation from one language to another, but I don't quite get what the typographical error tsellisjr mentioned is. Is it that the English version is written in verse while the Hebrew version isn't, or that the English version has vowels while the Hebrew version doesn't, or something else? Sorry if I'm misreading it just seems you may be making a specific claim but your phrasing isn't explicit enough for me to get it.

That story about John Waters and the Little Mermaid Ursula/Divine connection is hilarious if true. Now I'm going to be paranoid that every kiddie movie I see has been clandestinely tainted by John Waters. Thanks for that.

These replies are going to be very brief since I am exhausted. If any of my replies need elaboration, then I will do so tomorrow.

Prospero: I completely forgot about 'Polyester'. Good point, the only people I could see being turned off by that movie is Southern Baptists & Pentecostals. I think I am going to order 'Polyester' tomorrow. It has been years since the last time I watched..

Memnon: I am very familiar with the Momnons of history. I think it was a little over two years ago that I wrote a pilot script based on greek mythology & I swear I pitched that script to every network from The TV Guide Channel to The Food Network & any network inbetween, but I could never get it sold. So now it rests in a comatose state in my filing cabinet for the rest of eternity.

Also, to address your second post. There is nothing wrong with being playful. You seem very self aware with a good perspective on life & so much so that I can't help but envy you.

Tatanka & Linespalsy: I wouldn't try and read into my statement. It was intended to keep the mood light, I wasn't trying to voice any religious beliefs or opinions. The typo remark was only addressing the inaccurate translation. An example of this would be the commandment "Thou shalt not kill." theologians have confirmed that it is infact it was "not murder" Even though they are related there is still be big difference in meaning.

Certifiably troglodytic.
Tatanka & Linespalsy: I wouldn't try and read into my statement. It was intended to keep the mood light, I wasn't trying to voice any religious beliefs or opinions. The typo remark was only addressing the inaccurate translation. An example of this would be the commandment "Thou shalt not kill." theologians have confirmed that it is infact it was "not murder" Even though they are related there is still be big difference in meaning.
Fair enough....welcome to the board, BTW!

Fair enough....welcome to the board, BTW!
Thank you very much! I look forward to joining in on all that topics of discussion.

OK... I'm not going to name any names, but I got neg rep today for my last 4 posts in this thread, all by the same person, and none of them had anything to do with that person... all I gotta say is... grow up please... just because you are mad at someone on the board, don't just start doing neg reps of anyone who may have possibly slighted you. If you have a problem with me, come to me...

...now back to your regularly scheduled posts...

I'm not really worried about it any more... that post of mine was more of a knee-jerk reaction, and I shouldn't have made it, but whatever...
LoL! Gotcha, I will delete my post in a few moments so there isn't any backlash.

well bad directors i only usually see one or two of their movies

clint eastwood (flags of our fathers , boxing movie) - he has some good visuals in his movies : but horrible stories - and many flaws as a director

well bad directors i only usually see one or two of their movies

clint eastwood (flags of our fathers , boxing movie) - he has some good visuals in his movies : but horrible stories - and many flaws as a director
Defining the worst director of motion pictures is very complex. Since you have to consider several movies from the director & most likely you cant catagorize his movies into one genre.

Then you can to consider the performance of the actors in these movies & it can be very hard to seperate what parts of their performance is influenced by the director & even then there are several more variables to consider, so you will never get a unified answer to this question after Uwe Boll is acknowledged & removed from the discussion.

Sebastian Gutierrez is a good pick, because those who are familiar with his work, knows he is putrid. Still you have to mention is writing as well since he has written 8 or 9 more scripts then he has directed.

Andy Warhol was one of my choices because watching his factory films are a form of torture in third world countries & his major motion pictures that were release weren't any better. Not to mention his pop art portraits, labeling him an artist would be similar to going to kinkos and labeling the kid who makes the color copies, the greatest artist of his generation.

The worst director of all time is Christopher Nolan.

No, man. Definitely the worst ever. I have never seen as consistently terrible an oeuvre as Nolan's. It's downright shameful.

It's kinda funny. I mean, this thread is about the worst directors of all time. That doesn't even make sense. There's no criterion. What's the point unless we add individual criterion?

Plus, it's PN. No one's getting leprosy because of his posts. Yet.

Now if you want unfunny trolling go to the star wars thread.