Worst Directors Of All Time

Tools    

I'm only partway through reading this thread, but I feel like I have to respond to a couple of things:

First, John Waters is a love-him-or-hate-him kinda thing. Personally, I love the guy. In fact, you can look here for a moving tribute :sniff:
I think it's a little misleading to pass of Waters as merely a 'love-him-or-hate-him' guy, without mentioning that the 'love-him-or-hate-him' dynamic tends to be defined by whether one agrees with his social/political agenda. He's a one-trick pony, and if you don't agree that pro-gay 'subversiveness' is sufficient reason to be, you're left with empty, disjointed trash.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
sorry Yoda... I already crossed the line, I called them both names!

A system of cells interlinked
I think the post could be interesting, but I am having trouble with some of the language here and there:

Just what exactly does this mean...

"Your contradiction comes when you first, label him as a director without acknowledging he is actually a writer who has directed on occasion, then proletariat his talent completely dismiss his partition of a decent film in order to give Nolan all the credit even though he has stated many times"

...then proletariat his talent dismiss his partition of the film?

Pretty sure proletariat is a noun, with no verb counterpart, so I don't think you can proletariat something. I mean, my Latin is rusty, since I haven't studied it since the 80s, but, I think prole had something to do with offspring, so maybe you are talking about offspring talent...talent springing off something... Hell, I don't know. Maybe placing his talent in the lowest class possible?

You make some good points otherwise, though...

OK... Prestige really IS Nolan!!!
and tsellisjr is actually Coppola!!!

I've caught you both... but dang its cool to have you both here!
LoL!

If I was Francis Ford Coppola, instead of posting diatribes on message boards, I would probably be drunk on the putrid wine I make and badgering my son, Roman by saying things such as.

"When are you going to do something with your life & stop mooching off my millions, huh? Your sister Sofia, already has an Oscar. Your cousin, Nicholas is one of the most revered Oscar winning actors of his generation & he was able to do it without using the, Coppola name."

There would be a momentary pause in dialogue while I drank a copious amount of merlot straight from the bottle & Roman, would try to make his escape in this lull in my harangue, but being the proficient alcoholic I am he wouldn't have a chance to flee the clutches of my diabolical rants.

"Look at you, you're a shmuck! Even those two idiot nephews of mine, Marc & Christopher have done better then you. Atleast Marc has established some kind of acting career, Christopher dresses like a gay biker on a friday night & yet he has 14 movies under his belt as well as a segment on America's Most Wanted. What do you have? What can I say to people who ask me about my one & only son left on this Earth? He played a friggin senate guard number 4 in the Phantom Menace."

Then I would throw the bottle at him and tell him to get out of my house before swallowing several xanax without a count. Besides, I would be a terrible director. You have to be able to connect with people on a intimate level, that is especially true with actors. The majority of actors aren't that smart so they desperately need a director to convey tone, reaction, thoughts, expression, motivation of their character. Not to mention you have to be well versed in cinematography.

As of late, alot of the new breed of directors coming into Hollywood from cinema arts schools & over seas try to substitute their lack of camera experience with the bumpy style of filming where the camera never stops moving, because it gives them the scapegoat of saying,"I wanted the audience to feel like they were inside the action." which is just a bunch of crap. The only qualm I have with Darren Aronofky is he ushered in that style of cinematography in, 'Pi' but his reasons were to mask the lack of funding and terrible sets & props that were used. Once he got his foot in the door, he never used that style again. You can also give some of the credit to Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sanchez, the creators of 'The Blair Witch Project.'

Never the less, to get back to my point. I don't have any talent in the field of film direction. I went to school to become a screenwriter & that has been my profession for almost 5 years. Before any of you ask, yes I do work on two television shows in the US, but they are two of the most wretched reality shows on television today & no I will not tell you which shows I work for. Trust me when I say, working on either one of these abominations aren't deserving of any meritorious boasting, even if at my parents dining table at Thanksgiving.

As a matter of fact, the staff writers of one of the shows has a private message board which is only accessable to members of the guild. (Membership in the guild i no great feat. You could be offered membership by writing two lines in the script as long as you receive a credit if it's aired on television or it is released to the public through theaters and/or DVD.) It is a forum that is dedicated solely to any ideas on how to get one of the show cancelled in order to end our malignent shame & suffering. (My favorite plan was throwing a office party with a Jonestown theme & serve arsonic cupcakes & cyanide flavored punch as refreshments.)

Incase you didn't know, a writer for reality television are the ones who come up with those ridiculous challenges & socially ackward scenarios. Then we watch hours & hours of film and cut segments of the master footage that could be used to concoct a plot or story.

Once we are done editing the footage down to 42 minutes, if there are any holes in the story or the cameramen miss a critical piece of footage, we either ask the cast member to take part in recreating the scene, but more often then not we hire actors recreate the incident in a studio after the production with cast/contestants has wrapped.)

Also I meant to address Sophia Coppola & her role in 'The Godfather III. It seems like any & everyone blames her horrids acting abilities for ruining the third installment of 'The Godfather Trilogy' though that isn't completely true. Winona Ryder was cast to play Mary Corleone, but she had a nervous breakdown & was hospitalized two days before filming began when Johnny Depp ended their relationship. So, she was forced into the role since none of the other actresses were available in such short notice.

I am off to dinner, I hope someone enjoyed my rambling...

P.S. My pen name is a pseudonym so good luck if you decide to investigate which abomination I help to create.

Ha! Ok, that was good for a few laughs. Speaking of copious amounts of red wine...

I think I'll give that a shot in a few...

I think the post could be interesting, but I am having trouble with some of the language here and there:

Just what exactly does this mean...

"Your contradiction comes when you first, label him as a director without acknowledging he is actually a writer who has directed on occasion, then proletariat his talent completely dismiss his partition of a decent film in order to give Nolan all the credit even though he has stated many times"

...then proletariat his talent dismiss his partition of the film?

Pretty sure proletariat is a noun, with no verb counterpart, so I don't think you can proletariat something. I mean, my Latin is rusty, since I haven't studied it since the 80s, but, I think prole had something to do with offspring, so maybe you are talking about offspring talent...talent springing off something... Hell, I don't know. Maybe placing his talent in the lowest class possible?

You make some good points otherwise, though...
Thanks for the info, Yoda & it was nice to meet you.

In regards to the first inquiry. It says when he labeled Goyer as a terrible director with out meantioning his work as a screenwriter it was very misleading since Goyer is recognized as a screenwriter who was forced to directed under harsh circumstance, until very recently. Then it says he manipulated his deception in order to give all his praise for the film to Christopher Nolan. But to praise B.B. you are praising Goyer even if you lied in order to strengthen your own opinion so not only was his praise of BB a contradiction of his opinion on Goyer he outright lied and even ignored the opinion of Nolan, the person he is trying to boaster since it was at odds with the argument he was trying to make.

Yes, proletariant is a noun but it was only a small typo since I was rushing the post while I had stopped to eat lunch. But there is a transitive verb for 'proletariant' which is 'proletarianization' which was the intended word, & yes I was refering to casting Goyer's talent down to the lowest possible class so Kudos on your knowledge of the english language. I am such a nerd because I actually look forward to conversations about vocabulary.

So the line should read as follows, "not to mention your attempt to proletarianize his talent in order to completely dismiss his partition of a decent film...." I will go back later and clean the post up, but I still have work to complete.

P.S. Thank you for the compliment.

I think it's a little misleading to pass of Waters as merely a 'love-him-or-hate-him' guy, without mentioning that the 'love-him-or-hate-him' dynamic tends to be defined by whether one agrees with his social/political agenda. He's a one-trick pony, and if you don't agree that pro-gay 'subversiveness' is sufficient reason to be, you're left with empty, disjointed trash.
I don't think his "social/political agenda" has anything to do with my liking his movies. I think it's more that I have a perverse sense of humor, and like the idea of turning societal conventions on their heads, such as he does, albeit in a very sick and twisted way.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Interesting, but I enjoy Roman's CQ more than any of Sofia's movies. *I knew duck and cover was good for something*

I hope he gets raped to death by a silverback gorilla. That would be totally awesome.

There ya go.

Yes, proletariant is a noun but it was only a small typo since I was rushing the post while I had stopped to eat lunch. But there is a transitive verb for 'proletariant' which is 'proletarianization' which was the intended word, & yes I was refering to casting Goyer's talent down to the lowest possible class so Kudos on your knowledge of the english language. I am such a nerd because I actually look forward to conversations about vocabulary.

So the line should read as follows, "not to mention your attempt to proletarianize his talent in order to completely dismiss his partition of a decent film...." I will go back later and clean the post up, but I still have work to complete.

P.S. Thank you for the compliment.
Your welcome. I am sort of a word smith, myself, and I enjoy conversations about language, as well. I took some Latin back in the 80s, as I mentioned, and I tinker around with Japanese these days. I know the simple syllabaries at this point, but, I don't see myself mastering the kanji anytime soon...

The Fabulous Sausage Man
You also might want to look at Total Film's (The most reliable film magazine in the UK according to most) Top 100 Directors of all time...the man who "only made 6 feature films" made it to number 32, beating super heavyweights such as:
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner) ,
Roman Polanski (Chinatown),
Francois Truffaut (The 400 Blows),
andDavid Lean (Lawrence Of Arabia).
I believe it was the readers who voted though.

I removed the post in question this morning. It was simply over the line.

That said, let's try to avoid any further provocation. I'll grant you that the manner in which you insult someone does make a difference, but avoiding crude language is only half the battle, in my mind. An articulate put-down is still, after all, a put-down.

I have to assume, management deleted Christopher Nolan Jr's ignominious post to me. So feel free to take down my response, though I am quite sure you don't need my permission to do so. I would rather squash it altogether & I wouldn't have replied if I had seen that it had been taken down, but I read the post a early this morning, but I couldn't find the time to create a response until a little over an hour ago.

I have been meaning to respond on the spin-off discussion about, John Waters. It is abit misleading to label him as a love'em or hate'em director, but there is some truth to that statement.

He has such a wide range of movies through out his career & that makes it hard to pick a John Waters film that would be a great introduction to someone who isn't familiar with his work. This is especially true when you talk to people who have seen only one of the 'Trash Trilogy' movies & I say only one because anyone who was revolted by 'Pink Flamingo' aren't going to give him a second chance by watching 'Female Troubles' or 'Desperate Living.'

You could try 'Hairspray' 'Cry-Baby' 'Serial Mom' or even 'Pecker' but then you turn off those who have a vulgar sense of humor. So the closest thing to a middle ground with Waters would be, 'Cecil B. Demented' but, I didn't enjoy it as much as other people.

Another thing about Waters is, there are alot of movies where he was a major part in the creation by writing the script or casting & even directing that he has done under a pseudonym since they are the type of projects you would never guess that John Waters was instrumental in creating, but if his name was associated with such a movie they would assume it is another in his own words,"Exercise in poor taste." Usually he will use an alliterated name just like he uses when he names his characters, so that is the only real hint you get when you are trying to discover which movies he has done under a pseudonym.

The only movie that I know he has been apart of without using his real name 'The Little Mermaid' believe it or not. He was instrumental in coming up with the concept of Ursula who was inspired by Divine. He is the one who conceived Flotsam & Jetsam & though this is only a rumor, it is believed that he was the co-writer of the script along with with Roger Allers, because Waters is a huge fan on Hans Christian Andersen & owns several first editions installments of his fairy tales.

To respond to, Grandpa Simpson. I enjoyed CQ very much as well, but it blows my mind that he was I believe 38 before he decided to pick a career. Before then all he would really do is, hang around his father's sets or the sets of George Lucas & it got to the point where his father would give him credits as 'Second Unit Director' or some other hollow title. So when you're like me, a person who has been busting his ass to get his foot in the door & you hear stories like that, it triggers a gag reflex for half an hour then I am just incensed the rest of the day.

Last but not least, to my fellow wordsmith. You should be proud of your lingual abilities. Proper methods of communication seem to get shoved to the side in this day & age when it should be the opposite. How many wars have been started over a simple miscommunication.

Hell the Old Testament in the King James Bible is a miscommunication. Not only is it written in the predecessor of what is now known as modern english, it is written in verse. Which makes the translation from Hebrew to English all the more complicated because there are no vowels in the Hebrew alphabet. So for 400 years & long before then, Nations have been built, societies have crumbled, & millions of gallons of blood has been shed over a typographical error.

Anyways, back to work. Everyone has a good day.

I removed the post in question this morning. It was simply over the line.

That said, let's try to avoid any further provocation. I'll grant you that the manner in which you insult someone does make a difference, but avoiding crude language is only half the battle, in my mind. An articulate put-down is still, after all, a put-down.
Thank you, I read his earlier this morning but I couldn't reply until a couple of hours ago. So I didn't realize it had been removed until after I posted. So I asked in my previous post for you to do the same with mine, but you were way ahead of me, thanks alot.

My apologies to everyone whose posts were deleted; I had to remove them for continuity's sake. Which is a shame, because I found them all rather funny.

My apologies to everyone whose posts were deleted; I had to remove them for continuity's sake. Which is a shame, because I found them all rather funny.
You have no need to apologize to me, Yoda. I am happy with the intervention & deletion before it devoured the whole thread. I don't enjoy contest of vetuperation, unless I am being paid to compete.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

oh man!!!

don't make me call you Nanny!! j/k

s'ok really, I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to make dumb comments for no reason...

How did I not see that Mike Reed is the Oracle of our internet society. Maybe we should take a better look at his illustrations, they could be his version of The Quatrains. Hell, it wouldn't suprise me if 'The Matrix Trilogy' was Mike Reed's Biography.

Anways, before I forget.. Memnon, I find your light hearted posts refreshing, most people online are looking to show there superiority through hateful & insulting comments. One question if you don't mind...

Is your handle a reference to Memnon of greek mythology or a reference to 'The Scoprion King?' There are other Memnons throughout history & literature, but the two mentioned are the most common.