Is There Such A Thing As Too Many DVDs?

Tools    

Olympic Medalist, Art House Habitue
I'm curious what others would consider to be a large DVD collection, and if there's a point where a DVD collection becomes an obsession. For example, is 2500 DVDs considered a large collection by most on the forum? Is purchasing particular DVDs solely to own all of the films of a particular director or performer (regardless of whether the film appeals to you) considered an obsession?

I'm curious what others would consider to be a large DVD collection, and if there's a point where a DVD collection becomes an obsession. For example, is 2500 DVDs considered a large collection by most on the forum?

Anywhere up to 2500 I'd consider a decent size tbh.
I think when you reach 4000+ is when you're hitting obsession levels.
When you hit that kind of number, you're in the realms of collecting for the sake of it.

Is purchasing particular DVDs solely to own all of the films of a particular director or performer (regardless of whether the film appeals to you) considered an obsession?
Nah.
I think some movies and directors reach a level of respect that they have to be owned in one form or another.
Classics like Close Encounters, 2001, Psycho. Even if they aren't the person's "thing", most people own them simply because of the "no collection would be complete without XYZ" kind of thing.

Most on here know about my love for Paul Verhoeven... and I admit, there are a couple of his films I wouldn't class as "favourites" like Spetters or Soldier Of Orange... but I would be happy to own all of his films simply down to a respect for the director.
Now, I don't own all of them, yet, but I do have the entirety of his Hollywood series, and I'm always on the lookout for his other movies from back when he was working for the Dutch movie industry... and I got my hands on his French-Dutch movie Elle a little while back too.

I wouldn't say these things are obsessions, more a respect for the filmmaker in question.

I'm curious what others would consider to be a large DVD collection, and if there's a point where a DVD collection becomes an obsession. For example, is 2500 DVDs considered a large collection by most on the forum? Is purchasing particular DVDs solely to own all of the films of a particular director or performer (regardless of whether the film appeals to you) considered an obsession?
Each to his own I guess, but when I hear of 2500 DVDs I think of lots of money spent. At $10 a piece that's $25,000 I guess a two time Olympian medalist can afford that, but I can't.

If you're concerned about the amount of dvds you have only keep the ones that you think are great and/or expect to watch a second time in the near-future. Sell all the other ones for money.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
First and foremost, I'll say that I've become a lot pickier when it comes to the DVDs and Blu-Rays I purchase in my twenties than when I was in high school. I've started to realize a lot of what I did was, in-fact, hoarding junk I didn't need and encompassing more space than what was justifiable. And yet, I've found I can't bring myself to part with the film collection I've amassed. Instead, what I've done is, I keep the DVD or Blu-Ray covers for the films I've bought that I didn't like (which is about half my collection) in a scrapbook, with the DVDs sleeved inside of a binder. The films I consider as genuinely good films I want to showcase, I keep on my shelves. I find that it has noticeably reduced clutter and, now that I'm older, instead of going to Family Video and scavenging the best 10 for $10 deals I can find for films I've never heard of, I mostly only buy films I have at least some actual interest in beforehand.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If you're concerned about the amount of dvds you have only keep the ones that you think are great and/or expect to watch a second time in the near-future. Sell all the other ones for money.
I'm not sure my junky ones would sell for much, but I have a lot of future $1 DVDs for a garage sale

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You have too many DVDs when your wife tells you that you have too many DVDs. I only had a little over a 100 and I sold about 60 of them.
Cuck.

I have one DVD.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
As someone who estimates their collection to be around the 800 mark, I would say that 2,500 is a large collection (and arguably a sign of significant obsession). In fairness, a sizeable chunk of my collection consists of cheap second-hand ones I bought for roughly the price I would've rented them for at a video store so chances are I'll sell them off or donate them anyway.

I spose the real issue is do you actually get the use out of them? personally I'v moved more in the direction of only buying films theres a decent chance I might want to watch more than once.