The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'd love to love True Grit but I just don't, it just doesn't work all that well for me.

Guardians is one of the better Marvel films of the past 15 years for sure but it's still way too deep for my liking. Great soundtrack that boosts the film a bit.

I'd also consider these locks:

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
The Master
La La Land
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Get Out
Gravity
Interstellar
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Inside Llewellyn Davis
Tree of Life
Social Network
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Boyhood
Phantom Thread
Shoplifters
Florida Project
Whiplash
Us
Lady Bird
Inception
Drive
First Man as well?

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson IIII
Chris Evans IIII
Domhnall Gleeson IIII

Jessica Chastain III
Mark Ruffalo III
Michael Shannon III
Chris Pratt III

Michelle Williams II
Emma Stone II
Zazie Beetz II
Robert Downey Jr. II
Jake Gyllenhaal II
Leonardo DiCaprio II
Rachel McAdams II
Taika Waititi II
Hugh Jackman II
Matt Damon II
Chris Hemsworth II
Sam Rockwell II
Toni Collette II
Jeff Bridges II

(pls let me know if I forgot someone, thanks for the help so far gbgoodies, thief and phoenix)
Obviously, if we go down the supporting cast rabbit hole of each film, we're bound to find dozens... and that is without dipping too much into the whole MCU criss-cross... but here are a couple more.

John Slattery - 3 (Spotlight, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Endgame)
Richard Jenkins - 3 (The Cabin in the Woods, Spotlight, The Shape of Water)
Sebastian Stan - 3 (The Martian, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Endgame)
Bill Paxton - 2 (Nightcrawler, Edge of Tomorrow)
Michael Keaton - 2 (Toy Story 3, Spotlight)
Rachel McAdams - 2 (Midnight in Paris, Spotlight)
Stanley Tucci - 2 (Easy A, Spotlight)
Iko Uwais - 2 (The Raid, The Raid 2)
Yayan Ruhian - 2 (The Raid, The Raid 2)
Brie Larson - 2 (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Avengers: Endgame)

Also, what are Zazie Beetz two appearances? I see only Joker.

Deadpool for Zazie Beetz I think.

Victim of The Night
This is actually kinda cool.
While my No.1 and No.2 have already gone off the board leaving me feeling sad and not understood, True Grit has landed exactly where I would have put it.
Which is to say, when I was compiling my list, and I considered TG, I thought, "There's no way this is making my Top-25, but if we kept going, I think I would place it at 40." Exactly 40. And here we are.
I dunno, somehow this makes me feel better.

Victim of The Night
This is not solely or directly related to the two newest reveals… but I think I’ve had a realization… maybe in fact, there’s nothing all that wrong with some of the movies popping up on this list, even though I dislike or don’t think much of a few of them.

Maybe instead, it’s the whole decade that’s just not that great. At least not compared with older decades. Many have said it before: movies overall are are not getting better. The standard is dropping. That doesn’t mean there aren’t great films in this decade. Because there’s even some of my absolute favorites. But it’s just… well… I guess I’ll just say the same some ol’ line… “they don’t make them like they used to”.

Anyways, as for the two recent entries, True Grit is far from my favorite Coen. I’m a huge fan of theirs (surprise, surprise) and even not counting No Country for Old Men, there’s still many great films in their filmography. Despite having seen True Grit twice I think, it leaves me with the same slightly underwhelmed feeling.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an awesome MCU film. It really helped me getting back into the MCU too. Very entertaining, funny and with a nice soundtrack. Good characters and a style that was, at the time, very unique and different. I’m fine with it on the list, though it’s quite a bit higher than I would want it I think.
This is kinda what I was getting at a while a back, that I didn't think we could actually really name 100 truly good movies from that decade (and I sort of mean that as in without just getting into the top-10 Marvel films or whatever, though I think maybe 2 or 3 were special).
40th in the 70s was probably still an A or A+ film, hell you might still be in the A--Time Great range in that decade, but 40th in the 2010s is True Grit which is a good movie, a solid B or B+.
Would I have put Dredd (just to pick an overachiever here that made my list) in my top-25 of the 70s (if it had come out then)? It would not have made my top-50 and quite possibly not my top-100. But in the 2010s, admittedly not having seen every film, I felt like it was hard to make a list of 25 that I felt were All-Timers.
And I don't think that's odd. I think these things fluctuate over time. Based on what I've seen over the last 2-3 years, I feel like we may be on an artistic upswing.
The 2010s are just one arbitrary snapshot, after all.

True Grit was a lot of fun to see in the theater, but I've not felt much of a desire to revisit it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was also a good theater watch, but I'm even less interested in revisiting it.

A system of cells interlinked
True Grit is great stuff, but didn't quite crack my ballot, which is odd, considering that Hailee Steinfeld is probably my favorite young actress working today. I tend to like pretty much anything she is in. Alas, just missed the cut for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy did make my ballot, and is really the only Marvel film I fell deserves to be on the list. After a moving opening scene, it is rip-roaring fun from there on out, chock full of laughs, action, and good old-fashioned storytelling.

I had it at #21.

This is kinda what I was getting at a while a back, that I didn't think we could actually really name 100 truly good movies from that decade (and I sort of mean that as in without just getting into the top-10 Marvel films or whatever, though I think maybe 2 or 3 were special).
40th in the 70s was probably still an A or A+ film, hell you might still be in the A--Time Great range in that decade, but 40th in the 2010s is True Grit which is a good movie, a solid B or B+.
Would I have put Dredd (just to pick an overachiever here that made my list) in my top-25 of the 70s (if it had come out then)? It would not have made my top-50 and quite possibly not my top-100. But in the 2010s, admittedly not having seen every film, I felt like it was hard to make a list of 25 that I felt were All-Timers.
And I don't think that's odd. I think these things fluctuate over time. Based on what I've seen over the last 2-3 years, I feel like we may be on an artistic upswing.
The 2010s are just one arbitrary snapshot, after all.

The answer is to dig deeper. There are loads of great movies from that decade, it's only that no one is watching them.

We've been lucky in a few of the preceding decades that a lot of our pop culture touchstones or hit films were frequently very good. Not so much the case anymore.

So the problem isn't with the movies. It's with the audience who isn't seeking out more divergent or underseen voices.

There are hundreds of movies worthy of this list that aren't even going to get within smelling distance of it.

For anyone denying the greatness of the 2010s, subscribe to Mubi. Mostly fairly recent films, almost all of which have fallen under the radar, and the quality level for their curation is just as good if not better than Criterion

So the problem isn't with the movies. It's with the audience who isn't seeking out more divergent or underseen voices.

There are hundreds of movies worthy of this list that aren't even going to get within smelling distance of it.
That’s a good way to put it.

I also tried with my post earlier to make it clear that there are great films in the decade. But the great larger budget ones are just not as plentiful as they were in earlier decades.

I could probably find loads and loads of great smaller budget films, but they are disappearing because as you say people don’t seek them out and the studios and audiences have started an awful wave of soulless money making empty productions, which is something that’s always been sort of a thing, but gets clearer and bigger and more obvious by the year. Especially because studios and streaming services really don’t market anything that’s not huge. Hell… even Disney+ didn’t wanna do proper marketing for their Star Wars series, ‘Andor’.

So maybe that’s kind of my revised answer to all this… that the great medium to large budget films of the 2010s are - overall - not as plentiful as earlier decades and does make the decade appear ultimately poorer.

This is actually kinda cool.
While my No.1 and No.2 have already gone off the board leaving me feeling sad and not understood, True Grit has landed exactly where I would have put it.
Which is to say, when I was compiling my list, and I considered TG, I thought, "There's no way this is making my Top-25, but if we kept going, I think I would place it at 40." Exactly 40. And here we are.
I dunno, somehow this makes me feel better.
You are an Oracle! All Hail Wooley!