Get Out

→ in
Tools    

The comedy in this film cuts the tension that it tries to create. Also I swear every white character in this directors filmography are made to be racist or unconsciously so. Apart from the directors race obsession and him saying in real life quote... I don't see myself casting a white main character. A sentence that if was said in reverse would not fly.

This is a attitude I can't get behind. Apart from his race obsession, I honestly think, Get Out, is one of the most overrated films in recent history.

My rating... One star

Nicely done review I watched Nope and Us, as well. For some reason his films just don't do it for me, although the creepy fairground sequence at the beginning of the film Us was masterfully directed and gave me the creeps. Almost as much as my profile picture does

Hated Us and thought Nope was OK. Get Out is definitely the strongest of Peele's films.

To be quite honest I don't like any of his films 😄 in the movie Nope the protagonist has no emotion on his faced throughout the entire running time. I mean how are you supposed to get invested in the character.

I've really liked all of Peele's movies. It's great to have a new "voice" in this genre, which is often so cheesy and stereotypic. I'm white, but I've seen enough racial sh*t in my life that I can relate to his racial horror.

Apart from the directors race obsession and him saying in real life quote... I don't see myself casting a white main character. A sentence that if was said in reverse would not fly.

Everything I'm about to say is from the view point of a moderate-conservative to neutral man.

That might just be because he's aware of his black fanbase. People these days will make anything racial, even though Us was obviously more about class than race. Keep in mind that the white family in that movie was just as victimized as the main characters, if not more so. Get Out's villains are in fact "middle-class white liberals" who are overly eager to appeal to the nearest black guy, and even BECOME them. They practically worship black people in that movie.

Now I admit that I haven't seen Nope yet. But if the movie was criticizing far-liberal overeagerness, then we can learn something about that movie: not everything has to be about race. Thus, is Us and Nope are about other subjects, then casting black main characters is only a result of his own skin color and his fanbase. I mean, his own mother is white, and even Spike Lee made movies with white main characters, and you can't tell me Peele hasn't been inspired by Spike Lee. I'M inspired by Spike Lee's Malcolm X.

Jordan Peele is not race obsessed. He is a black man who makes films from a black perspective. His life experiences inform what movies he wants to make. Like anyone else, in any art form, since the beginning of time.

That's it. It's not controversial. It's not difficult to figure out. It's not something to get hung up on.

Apart from his race obsession

He's no more preoccupied with race than Tarantino is with feet.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've seen all three of Peele's films, and he's getting better with each one of them.

There's no denying he's a fairly competent craftsman. He fits right into the contemporary political discourse, but is it really that surprising?

I'm looking forward to what he can do next.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've seen all three of Peele's films, and he's getting better with each one of them.

There's no denying he's a fairly competent craftsman. He fits right into the contemporary political discourse, but is it really that surprising?

I'm looking forward to what he can do next.
jorrdan peele?

I haven't seen Get Out and I'm not that interested to change that. Us was really good, though, so Peele definitely has some skills. Unfortunately, those skills didn't show in Nope.

... and him saying in real life quote... I don't see myself casting a white main character. A sentence that if was said in reverse would not fly.
My only issue with this is the fact that a white filmmaker couldn't say the same without repercussions to his career. If Peele can pick his actors based on their color, everyone should have the same right.

When Jordan Peele says such a thing as "I don't see myself casting a white lead", he is speaking about his obligation to the black community which he believes (correctly) has not had equal opportunity to tell their stories. We are in the process of this issue being less lopsided, but we certainly are not at the point where we should be confused why one of the only A list black directors in Hollywood is being upfront about who he is going to cast in his films. Whose stories he's going to tell. Because if he doesn't tell them, who the **** else is going to? Zack Snyder?

The reason a white director claiming what seems on the surface to be the exact same thing ("I don't see myself ever casting a minority in a film") will be treated differently is because....it actually is. A comment like this does not live inside a historical vaccuum. Do we honestly think a white director has the exact same responsibility and obligation to their community? That all white movie goers are looking at them as the only hope that finally someone will tell a story about their particular struggle? Because I think it should be fairly obvious when looking at the last 100 plus years of film, that films that deal with white characters and white stories with white perspectives are already what has predominantly been made, are still being made, and will continue to be made. The responsibility for their existence doesn't rest on two or three directors who have made it into the system and actually have clout.

So what Jordan Peele says and what a white director says about casting have different meaning. Because they are responding to different conditions. Let's not get confused by surface similarities.

Now in defence of those who balk at these kinds of distinctions, or are skeptical towards the notion of equal representation, this isn't to take those on the other side of the debate completely off the hook. A lot of people in the supposedly 'woke' crowd are frequently stupid and inarticulate and reactionary and hypocritical and respond to these issues with inflammatory rhetoric that only obscures how we talk about these things. They are very much a part of the problem too. As stupid ****s always are.

But were always going to have to deal with a stupid **** problem in this world. Because many many people have zero idea what they are talking about, and often don't even know why they think the things they think. They mostly just operate on their notions of who they think is 'bad' or 'wrong' and let that guide them, instead of any kind of integrity or nuance or attempt at understanding a situation beyond the most superficial nonsense. And, sadly, these people always seem to be the angriest and the loudest and are always going to make sure their opinions are heard first.