The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Blue Ruin is excellent, and I really liked both Green Room and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

Wow, hadn't really noticed how close Blade Runner 2049 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were. Just a 1-point difference and tied in ballots.

By the way, this is Tarantino's third and final entry in the countdown, completing a 100% hat trick putting his three eligible films in the countdown.

As for Villeneuve, it is his fifth (and probably last one) for an impressive 83% with 5 out of 6 eligible films in the countdown.

Scorsese will end up with 4 out of 5, for an 80%.

My number 25 film probably isn't going to show but it was a film that was discussed a bit earlier in the countdown. It's a low budget, small cast, time travel/alternate universe flick. It's not the best acted, it isn't going to blow you away with visuals but it sucked me in with it's wtf is going on plot. I've seen it a couple times which seems par for a movie like this. Grab you're glow sticks, that film is:

Really enjoyed this one. Also had it on my first list.

296 points, 18 lists
The Social Network
Director

David Fincher, 2010

Starring

Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer

Trivia

The Social Network - During one of the depositions, it is mentioned that the invention of Facebook made Mark Zuckerberg "the biggest thing on a campus that included nineteen Nobel Laureates, fifteen Pulitzer Prize winners, two future Olympians, and a movie star." One of the lawyers then asks, "Who was the movie star?" and the response is, "Does it matter?" This movie star was, in fact, Natalie Portman, who was enrolled at Harvard from 1999 to 2003 and helped screenwriter Aaron Sorkin by providing him insider information about goings-on at Harvard at the time Facebook first appeared there.

The Social Network was also #22 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've always considered myself a huge Fincher fan, and yet, I've never been a huge fan of The Social Network. I mean, it is finely crafted, performances are pretty good, and there are some great scenes in there (with the Andrew Garfield realizing what's happening scene being the easy highlight), but for the most part, the film left me cold. I didn't really consider it for my list.

Here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 72/95

My ballot:  

MoFo Reviewer

The Social Network

David Fincher's directorial style has always served well, with the successful Se7en, the much-loved Fight Club & although I haven't seen it yet, his underrated Zodiac. This isn't his best film, but Fincher's direction is excellently underplayed, with dark visuals fitting together with what basically, a dark story. The story of Facebook is not a happy one, with betrayal and deception being major themes. Aaron Sorkin's screenplay is most deserving of the Academy Award. The film is dialogue driven and Aaron Sorkin's dialogue is witty, dramatic and enthralling, throughout the entire film.

Read the full review here.

mark f

The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
- Hypnotic, entertaining social satire with great everything, especially a wonderful score/sound design and a terrific script crammed with memorable dialogue.
The Social Network was #3 on mark f's ballot.

2. Nightcrawler (#55)
3. The Social Network (#6)
5. 1917 (#86)
7. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
10. Gravity (#34)
12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (#44)
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
16. The Shape of Water (#52)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

I thought The Social Network was very good but not quite a contender for my ballot. I'm a little surprised it's this high just because it's from 2010. Didn't realize it had that kind of lasting appeal.

Saw The Social Network once back in the day, didn't much care for it and have never really had any interest in revisiting it.

The Social Network was #19 on my ballot. It's a powerful character study which stuck with me for quite a while when I finished it. We all know that Facebook went on to become a huge success and that Zuckerberg is a billionaire, but at what cost did he achieve his fame? This film explores the various controversies he encountered in the early stages of starting Facebook, the enemies he made, and the friends he lost along the way. Though he isn't likable in any sense, the characters around him are fully aware of his flaws and, throughout the film, they're exposed to us a bit at a time. Regardless of whether you care about Facebook or not (I don't give a shit about it, personally), this film is definitely worth watching.

Updated ballot:

1. The Tree of Life (#10)
2. Holy Motors (#51)
4. Moonlight (#62)
5. The Florida Project (#14)
6. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
8. Arrival (#12)
10. Burning (#35)
11. A Ghost Story (near miss #119)
12. Take Shelter (#67)
13. Certified Copy (#84)
14. Under the Skin (#54)