Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

RRR is great. As good as the two most famous scenes are, not enough attention is being paid to the early One Man vs Mob brawl at the beginning of the film. That sets the stage for what an enormous beautiful break from reality the movie will prove to be.

And this is how you use CGI correctly. It's not the best CGI, but its well integrated into the fictional world that surrounds it. It's okay that I recoil a bit from its unnatural quality. Because I was mostly doing the same with everything else.

They aren't that scary.

Regardless, Gummo is the best of them.

Let me qualify this.

Depending how put off you are by the human body, the Singing ******* in Pink Flamingos is exactly as scary as the movies reputation. And as a person who is very afraid of human bodies, I've never recovered from that scene.

And this is how you use CGI correctly. It's not the best CGI, but its well integrated into the fictional world that surrounds it. It's okay that I recoil a bit from its unnatural quality. Because I was mostly doing the same with everything else.

ngl, I was a little distracted by the relatively poor quality of the CGI, but RRR already has such an over-the-top, cartoonish vibe that it didn't take me out of the movie much. I feel like I'd be less forgiving if the movie was going for a more realistic vibe.

Anyway, I'm glad they spent their money on incredible song & dance setpieces that look amazing instead of on CGI tigers.

ngl, I was a little distracted by the relatively poor quality of the CGI, but RRR already has such an over-the-top, cartoonish vibe that it didn't take me out of the movie much. I feel like I'd be less forgiving if the movie was going for a more realistic vibe.

Basically my exact feelings. It's pretty shit CGI, but because the movie had so significantly (and beautifully) lowered my expectations of reality, it didn't really matter how much it didn't look real. It was just a part of the movie. It was just a part of this already insane thing.

Let me qualify this.

Depending how put off you are by the human body, the Singing ******* in Pink Flamingos is exactly as scary as the movies reputation. And as a person who is very afraid of human bodies, I've never recovered from that scene.
It's the animal stuff that's kept me away from Gummo and Pink Flamingos. Salo I imagine would just make me really sad. It's the only one of the three I really plan to watch at some point.

It's the animal stuff that's kept me away from Gummo and Pink Flamingos. Salo I imagine would just make me really sad. It's the only one of the three I really plan to watch at some point.

Pink Flamingos should definitely be avoided in regards to animals stuff. It's generally a scene I don't watch and I've always been deeply annoyed by John Waters' glib defence of it. And I say this as someone who really really loves John Waters. But not here. It was a scene that should have never happened. I actually usually even forget about it even being one of the controversial scenes because I always skip past it.

The animal stuff in Gummo is pretty brief, I think just an early scene. And it's simulated. Except for one scene where a cat seems to be carelessly handled, which makes me uncomfortable, but I think is pretty minor. Just holding a cat by the scruff of its neck and it seems more annoyed than in any kind of physical pain. That said, I think there is a lot more stuff you would find much more upsetting in the movie then anything to do with animals. You are probably wise to avoid.

Salo is, at least as a film, the end of humanity. But, no, I think pretty clear of animal stuff. But, if I'm being honest, far from the hardest of watches. It's more the lingering effect of the film that is more horrible than any of its shocking moments.

Pink Flamingos should definitely be avoided in regards to animals stuff. It's generally a scene I don't watch and I've always been deeply annoyed by John Waters' glib defence of it. And I say this as someone who really really loves John Waters. But not here. It was a scene that should have never happened. I actually usually even forget about it even being one of the controversial scenes because I always skip past it.
Yeah, I'm pretty hardline these days on not consuming media with real animal cruelty/deaths with a handful of exceptions (like I think that a film I watched recently may have had a real sequence involving a humane slaughter in a farm setting). Even if it's something I could skip, I just don't want to engage with it.

The animal stuff in Gummo is pretty brief, I think just an early scene. And it's simulated. Except for one scene where a cat seems to be carelessly handled, which makes me uncomfortable, but I think is pretty minor. Just holding a cat by the scruff of its neck and it seems more annoyed than in any kind of physical pain. That said, I think there is a lot more stuff you would find much more upsetting in the movie then anything to do with animals. You are probably wise to avoid.
Okay, I hadn't wanted to look up whether the cat deaths were simulated or not. I had figured they were simulated, but it would be icky to find out that wasn't the case.

Salo is, at least as a film, the end of humanity. But, no, I think pretty clear of animal stuff. But, if I'm being honest, far from the hardest of watches. It's more the lingering effect of the film that is more horrible than any of its shocking moments.
The more I've read about Salo, the more I think it will be, like you say, the notions of it that are horrifying as opposed to the visceral jolts of what is on screen.

The trick is not minding
Was in the mood for a short earlier:

If Anything Happens I love You

It destroyed me.
All 12 minutes of it.
A lump in my throat in those final minutes.

Aaaand it’s back again. Damn

I haven't seen it, but that sounds a lot like my reaction to Enthiran from the 29th HoF.

Summer 1993

For those who like their heartbreak quiet and screaming.

4/5
Also just liked this one and quite liked it. An Allaby recommendation, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was already moved by it, but that moment at the very end where her
WARNING: spoilers below
sobs abruptly cut to the dedication "To my mother"
just broke me.

It speaks to something that I see with my students who have been through bad things. Even if things are better/good now, there will be some ways that things will always be really, really hard.

Minding the Gap. A documentary about skateboarding and sadness. A good combination.
The moment where he's interviewing his friend and the friend admits to
(it's been a while, but doesn't he admit to hitting his wife/girlfriend and then says something about her provoking him or putting her in her place) and then you can feel the guy filming just having this realization about the kind of person this guy is

Woof.

The end of that film is almost too much for me.
No kidding.

A movie I don't feel terribly qualified to rank on a first viewing. Not that it is complicated plot wise. But emotionally I get at times lost. Which may be the point. But regardless, Krieps (sp) is greatness.

3.5/5

The moment where he's interviewing his friend and the friend admits to
(it's been a while, but doesn't he admit to hitting his wife/girlfriend and then says something about her provoking him or putting her in her place) and then you can feel the guy filming just having this realization about the kind of person this guy is

Woof.

No kidding.
This film hit me square in the chest. Too many of my friends were horribly damaged people that justified their own horrific actions. And many of them were skaters.

Too relatable.

This film hit me square in the chest. Too many of my friends were horribly damaged people that justified their own horrific actions. And many of them were skaters.

Too relatable.
There's something powerful and painful about watching people at the age where they are transitioning from kids to being adults who hurt other people in an adult way.

Victim of The Night

It's hard to believe by that poster, but this is one of the best animated films of all time.
Not hard at all if you've seen Son Of The White Mare.