The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Dammit, yeah. Had it in my mind as I was writing it and somehow *poof*

I might consider it.

I always made time to watch a lot more movies I otherwise wouldn't have, and it was nice having our own Oscars-like awards. I've missed them the last few years.

We have newer, active members who weren't around the last time they were held, so maybe there would be more interest now?

Heck yeah!

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=67488

It took courage to put out a film, given with the historical status of the original True Grit (1969), that was bound to invite comparisons. Consequently I was skeptical going in. But Jeff Bridges' portrayal soon put me at ease. I'm not a Matt Damon fan, but he did an okay job despite being miscast.

It was the first straight drama from the Coens, but they produced a fine film, as if they'd done similar work for years. And it certainly helped to have the great Roger Deakins as cinematographer. His good feel for westerns continued from his work on "The Assassination of Jesse James..."

Everyone doubtlessly was waiting for the "fill your hand" scene, and Bridges brought it off beautifully.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yes! So glad to see True Grit here. I had it on my list at #6. Saw it at the cinema when it first came out and loved it. Of course I'd seen the original John Wayne TG as a kid at the theater when it was released and loved it, so there was no way I was going to miss this. Of course the urge to compare the two arises but I think they can both stand side-by-side equally but for varying different reasons. I'd heard the Coen's went to the book for their remake but not having read it, I don't know which version is more faithful or not, and frankly, I don't care. They both set out to do a great Western and I think they both pulled it off, but as the Coen version is the one we're dealing with for this countdown, I'll just reference it. Bridges is fantastic as Rooster Cogburn and sits his horse very well in this. Hailee Steinfeld has one of the best film debuts in recent history, and is much closer in age to the character of 14-year-old Mattie Ross (being 13) than Kim Darby, who was 21-years-old and had already had a child when she filmed her Mattie Ross role. Darby was good (oops, I've lied and reference the original film!), no doubt but I give the edge to Steinfeld. I'm surprised but pleased to see this so high on the list.

Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite MCU movie by far. The humor is a big win for me, and it had me from the first scene with Peter Quill playing his mix tape with songs I love, using some little creature as an ersatz microphone as he goes about his adventure. That just put me in the fun zone for the whole running time of this hilarious, rip-roaring piece of entertainment. Alas, I didn't put any MCU on my list. Maybe I should have, the way things are playing out.

List so far:
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

37. Moana

I have two possibilities for this one, but I'll go with my gut.

I just had a weird thought. Every time I hear "the time has come," I think of the walrus from Alice in Wonderland. Is it possible that Alice in Wonderland 2010 could make it in the top 40? Spring Breakers made it to the top 100 in general...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both versions of True Grit for the Westerns Countdown, but I'm not much of a fan of either version. I thought they were both okay, but nothing special.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun movie, but it's not as memorable as most of the other MCU movies. I've seen it a few times, but for some reason, some parts of the movie just don't stick in my mind, so they seem new each time I watch the movie.

I forgot the numbers:

The Social Network
The Lighthouse

ETA: changed my guesses below to something different than these.

I forgot the numbers:

The Social Network
The Lighthouse

38. The Social Network
37. The Lighthouse

With the numbers now.

ETA: Changed my guesses below to something different than these.