War
10.00%
4 votes
Westerns
12.50%
5 votes
Other
40 votes. You may not vote on this poll

It could be? if enough people are down with that. Same with some of the other ideas too. I don't care myself, just whatever makes most people happy and works.

We should toss out ideas and eventually make a poll to see which is the most popular...BUT we need a dedicated host too!

We could work through the alphabet one letter at a time - movies that start with "A" for the first Top 100, starting with "B" for the next one and so on. Should keep us busy for a little while

General reminder that genre lists are always tougher than people think. There always ends up being some fighting about the criteria, because it turns out there are always a lot of edge cases and the "common sense" aspect of it each of us has is not as common as we think!

Still worth doing, but just remember that the genre lists are always messy at first, and occasionally it can even get a little heated.

General reminder that genre lists are always tougher than people think. There always ends up being some fighting about the criteria, because it turns out there are always a lot of edge cases and the "common sense" aspect of it each of us has is not as common as we think!

Still worth doing, but just remember that the genre lists are always messy at first, and occasionally it can even get a little heated.
I find that a bit odd, considering how simple a genre can get, like action. It needs a lot of action to qualify as an action movie. I always considered a western to be a mvoei that took place in the old West and that was it.

Oh, yeah. Genre/specialty lists are a pain. I remember all the discussion/argument that preceded the animation list. What a mess! People couldn't agree on what qualified and a lot of people doubted there'd even be enough participation to get 100 films. It was also supposed to be hosted by someone else initially but he backed out.

I find that a bit odd, considering how simple a genre can get, like action. It needs a lot of action to qualify as an action movie. I always considered a western to be a mvoei that took place in the old West and that was it.

It's more about the fine details of what defines the genre tbh.
I mean, Predator... action film... horror as well... but also sci-fi... and also qualifies as a fantasy and also a thriller.

If there was a Thriller Countdown, would you allow Predator?

This was a problem I encountered when I hosted the Comics... Super (2010) and Unbreakable, weren't eligible...
Yet stuff like Where the Wild Things Are, and Conan The Barbarian, strangely enough, were eligible.

I'm getting flashbacks just mentioning all those movies in the same post.
I got damned PTSD from hosting that countdown

I might include Predator, but never for fantasy. Fantasy needs torevolve around things that don't even have a scientific basis, like magical creatures, spells, etc. Science Fiction is about things that happen because of science we can't explain rather than legends and myths. And if you include aleins in legends and myths, the myths are often grounded in scientific philosophy. In the end, the simplest and possibly most accurate description isthis: the difference between sci-fi and fantasy is the difference between science and magic. Sometimes you can blend the two, like Fullmetal Alchemist.

I think Horror would be very popular. We've already have a MoFo Top 100 Horror list, but...it wasn't a community based list but composed of the picks of just a few people (it's the only MoFo list that doesn't represent the choices of the overall community). It doesn't probably make sense to have two MoFo Horror list, so if you were OK with replacing the old list with a new Horror list, that then might be something the majority of MoFos would enjoy doing.
This is why I vote horror. Our current list was made long ago and done by only a few people. I would say we need one done, but I'm not going to cry if it doesn't happen right away. Swan, Captain Spaulding, and Cat would be some of the great choices to host. I also think Foreign Language would be a great countdown. We do a genre countdown, then 20's, then another, and then we'll be ready to load up for 2010's and finally a new all time after that.

When was horror done last?
I might be up for a renewed Horror List tbh.
I don't know but I know it was before I got here. I found the thread once and there were very few people involved.

This was a problem I encountered when I hosted the Comics... Super (2010) and Unbreakable, weren't eligible...
Yet stuff like Where the Wild Things Are, and Conan The Barbarian, strangely enough, were eligible.
When I went through the lists clicking what I've seen I was so confused about Conan being on the Comics Movie list. On what basis was it eligible?

About the actual topic my vote goes to Horror as well.

When I went through the lists clicking what I've seen I was so confused about Conan being on the Comics Movie list. On what basis was it eligible?

About the actual topic my vote goes to Horror as well.

The original Conan was a strip in a Pulp Fiction magazine.

I did some mpre researching just now, even stuff like Pinocchio and Zorro would have been eligible

The original Conan was a strip in a Pulp Fiction magazine.
Those weren't comic strips but short stories. According to Wiki the first comic adaptation of Conan was published in 1952 in Mexico while Robert E. Howard died in 1936 so the hero hardly originated from comics.

I find that a bit odd, considering how simple a genre can get, like action. It needs a lot of action to qualify as an action movie.
Ah, but how much is "a lot"? And what if it has a lot of sci-fi, too? Can a film be sci-fi and action, or does it need to be predominantly action? What if it just has a few action sequences, but they're the most impressive in the film? I expect there would be a lot of talk about what's "action" versus "adventure" and a distinction between "action" films and "thrillers," too.

These are the things people always end up arguing about.

I always considered a western to be a mvoei that took place in the old West and that was it.
So, no such thing as a modern Western?

BTW, I'm just giving you a hard time to illustrate the point. I don't necessarily disagree with the criteria. I just know from experience that not everyone carries the same assumptions or users terms the same way and this stuff always ends up surprising whoever runs a genre list.

EDIT: I didn't realize other people had already made the same point. Whoops, my bad.

When was horror done last?
I might be up for a renewed Horror List tbh.
I don't know but I know it was before I got here. I found the thread once and there were very few people involved.
It was done on 10-01-2009

It was the first of the MoFo Top 100 Countdowns done for the list area.

I read the thread some time ago, I believe it was only 3 or 4 people who made the list up.

Top 100 Horror Films link