The Universal Monsters/Hammer Horror Crossover HoF

Tools    

So I've hosted before and it went terribly, but I'm hoping this HoF will be short and a bit simpler. My main thing here is I want to make it more democratic, with me as simply the "organizer" of things rather than saying what to do. With that in mind, I want people's input as to how this goes.

I may not nominate stuff so that if I personally don't finish, it's no biggie, but that's up in the air for now depending on amount of participants more than anything.

I'm going to give about a week (or two if needed) to get everything set in stone, generate interest and get nominations in. If you want to join, just let me know your nomination.

Remember, I want this to be fun, so try not to get too caught up in stuff. If someone signs up and doesn't get a list in, it's not a big deal to me. IMO if you join you probably have an interest in these studios and their horror films anyway, so watching a film that ends up being disqualified shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Other than that, I think everyone knows the rules. If not, please ask and I or someone else can answer your question(s)!

First things first, I think we need to set in stone the deadline. I remember with my last host job we didn't have that set in stone right off the bat, and I feel that messed things up. So when would people be interested in ending this?

Participants:

jiraffejustin
McConnaughay
Sir Toose
Nope
Clazor
Destiny

Clazor:

Destiny:

jiraffejustin:

McConnaughay:

Nope1172:

Sir Toose:

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Is it to be that every participant nominates one hammer and one universal, or is it just one nom with both studios to draw from?

Is it to be that every participant nominates one hammer and one universal, or is it just one nom with both studios to draw from?
Great question. I'll let you guys decide, I'd be down for either. Personally prefer the idea that we get to nominate one of each, though maybe we should wait to see how many participants we have, so we know if it'd be too much?

I think it could get to be a bit much. I was thinking we choose just one film and it's either a Hammer or a Universal.
Yeah, the problem I thought of was it might be really one-sided.

The Abbott and Costello Meet movies are all Universal movies, do you think they should be included?
I'd be okay with it, since they feature the monsters.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't guess I've actually said that I'm in yet, but I'm in. And I think I have my nomination decided, but I am going to watch a certain Hammer film, hopefully tonight, before I make up my mind.

Alright so let me get this right, JJ and Destiny, you two are in, right? Clazor, what about you? I'm going to PM McConnaughey and see if he is interested.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'm curious about it. Though, I am a little fuzzy on the details of what the Hall of Fame entails and what my contribution is. Do I send my own nominations for my favorite among them all? How many can I nominate? Is it an "event," on a certain date, and is the event a reading of the nominations.

All in all, I am interested in it. The only holdup I have is that I'll only be able to throw my opinion in on the Universal Monsters films, which I am still in the midst of watching the bulk of. I've only seen a handful thus far, but I have thirty of the most known entries in my collection.

I feel like I am even more interested in the Hammer Horror films, however, it's just I won't be able to pursue them for a while, because money reasons and a lack of there being a good box-set. (I also have a limited data package, so, for instance, streaming them somewhere is out.)

I'm curious about it. Though, I am a little fuzzy on the details of what the Hall of Fame entails and what my contribution is. Do I send my own nominations for my favorite among them all? How many can I nominate? Is it an "event," on a certain date, and is the event a reading of the nominations.

All in all, I am interested in it. The only holdup I have is that I'll only be able to throw my opinion in on the Universal Monsters films, which I am still in the midst of watching the bulk of. I've only seen a handful thus far, but I have thirty of the most known entries in my collection.

I feel like I am even more interested in the Hammer Horror films, however, it's just I won't be able to pursue them for a while, because money reasons and a lack of there being a good box-set. (I also have a limited data package, so, for instance, streaming them somewhere is out.)
I'll explain the HoF process and try to answer all your questions while I do.

Basically it goes like this. In the beginning, each of us send in one nomination - in this HoF, you would pick a Universal Monster film, or a Hammer Horror film, and PM me what it is. Usually the host will give about a week for getting noms in, I'm being a little more lenient as we're trying to gather participants still. Side-note: usually people nominate a favorite of theirs, though it's happened where they'll nominate a film they haven't even seen! And I'd be okay with that so long as it's a film that you are really interested in watching.

After I have all the nominations, I post them in the second post of the thread (where it just says "noms"). Then, you have a certain amount of time (usually a few months) to watch all the nominations, including rewatching the ones you've seen if you choose (that's optional though).

You send in a ranked list from favorite to least favorite of all the noms before the deadline. I take everyone's ranked lists and tally them together. The winner gets inducted as one of the MoFo Hall of Fame winners.

It's ultimately just a fun way to watch and discuss, I think a lot of people do it so they get a chance to see movies they haven't seen before. I know you're currently into both these studios, so it would be a great way to seek out some of these films and watch them and discuss them.

As for obtaining them? You have a few months to do so (granted the deadline here isn't set in stone, which we need to figure out, but it's always a few months), and we always try to help each other out so we don't have to spend all our money, by being conscious of what we nominate, providing information about where to stream certain films, or providing links.

Hope that sums it up. Let us know if you have any other questions. Would love to have you. Not sure if I said so in PM, but there is really no pressure, especially in this particular HoF. I think it would be good for you too because I don't expect it to be too large, so you wouldn't have that much work.

Hopefully with McConnaughay (and still need to hear from Destiny) we'll have four people. I've just contacted Sir Toose, see if he wants to join.

I was talking to JJ and decided if we get five people to participate, each can nominate one a film from each studio (2 noms each, therefore), which would make 10 films to watch. I think that's manageable, yeah?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I can definitely have a confident "favorite" Universal Monster film in a couple of weeks, or, however long it takes me to watch the other 25 Universal films on the box-set. For my Hammer nomination, to be quicker about it, I could go ahead and read through their filmography and decide on which one I am most excited for. I intended to buy a lot of the Hammer Horror films in early-February, a personal birthday gift. I could probably find the five Hammer nominations.

Only thing is, nobody's allowed to nominate Dracula: Prince of Darkness, I can't find that film anywhere for less than $25, ... so that film's off the table. xD