Defining Roles

Tools    

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Shut the **** up, moron. The only person who thinks you're cool...is you.
what the hell? what did i do?
i borrowed the term 'properly introduced' because thats what Caitlyn said in her post to intimidate me. I have no intention of meeting anyone over a little forum disagreement. If i have ever given the illusion of trying to be 'cool' then i take it back. Maybe pm's should be used for this sorta thing?

another person i think would be really hard to match a defining role with, is Robin Williams. Personally, i might pick either Peter Banning(Hook) or Parry(The Fisher King).

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
what the hell? what did i do?
i borrowed the term 'properly introduced' because thats what Caitlyn said in her post to intimidate me. I have no intention of meeting anyone over a little forum disagreement. If i have ever given the illusion of trying to be 'cool' then i take it back. Maybe pm's should be used for this sorta thing?

You haven’t really done anything wrong… just misunderstood. What I was trying to point out was that even though you may not have meant it that way, your post came across as bossy and rude… almost like you thought people didn’t have sense enough to decide which role defined their favorite characters. You have to remember it is very easy on the internet for people to misunderstand the meaning of your posts since they really don’t know you… so please be a little more careful in your wording.

As to what I meant about the “introduction”… I’m one of the moderators on here and we have had numerous members post something similar to what you posted and then post one personal attack after another… since I don’t know you, I had no way of knowing if you were serious or not and was trying to nip a potential problem in the bud… I’m sorry you misunderstood….

Now, can we just chalk this up to a misunderstanding and move on…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am having a nervous breakdance
The ultimate one-hit-wonder of the american actors Pantheon:

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Ash for Bruce Campbell was pretty huge for him. He always has the threat of people going "will he top his role as Ash"

"I can't help it..."
Originally Posted by Aniko

Viggo Mortensen~ Aragorn. No matter what he does in the future I will always think of him as Aragorn.
Really? It's weird; everytime I think of Viggo, I always think of him as Lalin in Carlitto's Way.

Robin Williams as Garp in The World According To Garp
Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean in the television series - not the movie.
Mark Wahlberg as Dirk Diggler (Eddie Adams) in Boogie Nights.

Will think of more later...
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

Neutral Milk Hotel
Since LOTR was the first Film Orlando Bloom did ( he was fresh out of Acting school ) he will always be Legolas.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
Since LOTR was the first Film Orlando Bloom did ( he was fresh out of Acting school ) he will always be Legolas.
He clearly learned nothing at "Acting school". I really don't think he's been good in a single movie he's been in.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Originally Posted by Garrett
He clearly learned nothing at "Acting school". I really don't think he's been good in a single movie he's been in.
He isnt very good at all but hel always be legolas to me.

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
He isnt very good at all but hel always be legolas to me.
You're right, he probably wouldn't have work right now if it wasn't for his role as Legolas.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Denzel Washington in Malcolm X (first saw him in Philadelphia)
Edward Norton in American History X (First saw him in Primal Fear)
Samuel L Jackson in Unbreakable (First saw him in Pulp Fiction)
Natalie Portman in The Professional (first saw her in Where the Heart Is)

so take your theory and shove it up your tightly puckered ass, D'yer Mak'er

Steve Carrell in The Office. (In my opinion the best role ever TV Show/Movie)
Edward Norton in American History X (obvisouly)
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (His last role and his best role)
Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween (simply iconic)

This is a great topic. It just brings to mind a whole cascade of favorite actors and movies. I think some of my following picks are ones that the general public, and movie critics alike, would all agree on as defining roles, but a few are personal choices. So here we go -

Vivian and Clark in GWTW

Cary and Audrey in Charade

Judy as Dorothy

Gregory in To Kill a Mockiingbird

Cher in Moonstruck

Jack in Five Easy Pieces

Frances MacDormand in Fargo

Christopher and Julie in The Sound of Music

And so many more, that many here have already stated; Yoda certainly nailed it when he mentioned Hannible - who else would we think of as Hopkins being, other than that malignant masked monster ( no, not even Remains of the Day can erase the association )

But here's where it may get a little tricky. The following list is not only a nod to those who can readily be associated with a given role; but are definitive roles for me personally - and usually mark the movie when I first stood up and took notice of the performer.

For instance, I' m the number 1 Harrison Ford fan- and I also feel he' s been under recognized for the depth and diversity of his talent - but I don't really think of him as defined as Han or Indy. For me, his defining role - and perhaps my favorite HF movie- is and shall always be:

Witness

I've thought of Jack Lemmon as amazingly gifted in China Syndrome, , and I laughed so hard my sides hurt watching Walter Matthau in Plaza Suite-
But Jack and Walter are definitely defined for me as
Oscar and Felix (Odd Couple )

Sally Field- Norma Rae

Rod Steiger - The Pawn Broker

George C Scott- Patton

Julia Roberts - Steel Magnolias

He first caught my eye as the trembling and pathologically shy Boo in Mockingbird; , but for his stunning performance in
The Apostle -Robert Duvall

Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns

And though In the Line of Fire is a favorite movie of mine, I'd still
say
Clint in Play Misty For Me

Tom Cruise - this is a tough one b/c I've enjoyed so many movies he's starred or co-starred in, but for me, he totally honed his personna in:
War of The Worlds

Of course, Paul and Robert in the Sting

And finally, the planet Earth in
Yann Arthus Bertrand's :
Home

Denzel Washington in Malcolm X (first saw him in Philadelphia)
Edward Norton in American History X (First saw him in Primal Fear)
Samuel L Jackson in Unbreakable (First saw him in Pulp Fiction)
Natalie Portman in The Professional (first saw her in Where the Heart Is)

so take your theory and shove it up your tightly puckered ass, D'yer Mak'er
i think for norton its primal fear

Pretty simple, what’s the defining role for your favourite actors.

For example:

Eddie Murphy – For me it would be Beverly Hills Cop but a lot of newborns say Dr Dolittle

Robin Williams – Mrs Doubtfire, without a doubt

etc etc
"newborns"- my first out loud laugh today

Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, and Harrison Ford in Star Wars, were all propelled into the stratosphere with these roles. There are so many others, like Pulp Fiction for example, how many careers did that movie propell? But I think the biggest "defining role" of all time is Judy Garland's Dorothy.
Nicolas Cage's defining role Leaving Las Vegas? I don't think so.

Nicolas Cage's defining role Leaving Las Vegas? I don't think so.
Perhaps not but I do think of that as his best role.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i think for norton its primal fear
i think this post is super old, but yeah if i remember correctly, the first time i saw Primal Fear i was kinda young and so i didn't really appreciate how damn good he was in it. i rewatched it a few years ago though, it's definitely one of his best performances.