Grand Theft Auto V

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil

Figured we needed a place for chatter, rather than clutter up the tab.

Here be, my plans for a wee session tonight:
  • Go on a rampage with my new glidey muscle car
  • Take a photo while flying through the air upside down on my bike.
  • Steal that heli by the road shaped like a penis

Oh alright, and do some missions too

*EDIT* Gah, not sure why the v is little in the title. Bah.

A system of cells interlinked
Really hoping to get some game time in this evening.

Plans:
  • Continue Trevor's missions until it unlocks character switching again, which has been temp locked while the other characters lay low after the heist.
  • Explore more of the map
  • Check out the off-road racing

Woo, great Mythbuster vid. These guys did a load of good ones for BF3. Wouldn't count any of it as spoilery, although I guess if you don't want to know the answer to a section you can always look away

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm amazed how my 360 is able to run this game. Pushing the system to the absolute limit.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I'm playing the PS3 version, which so far hasn't done anything weird to me other than the disappearing car bug that's been happening on every version so far. I'm loving this game, and I'm not even a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series.

I tricked out a Coil Voltic, and the thing is a beast! Maxed Accel, great top end, and sweet handling. My favorite car in the game, so far.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I start with good intentions, then I end up running up a hill and going on a massive sniper gun battle vs Police.

Then I get out the Hospital and go and do the exact same thing again.

So much better than GTA 4.

If I have any criticism it would be that it's still effectively a linear game, with great open spaces that don't have much going on. I just finished the storyline so I'm not sure how much longer it will hold my interest. I don't think I will bother trying for gold on the missions that I got silver/bronze which is 90% of them. I mean I can go and mop up the last few side quests and buy some properties, go on rampage etc but not much else.

Wonder what the Online is going to be like.

8/10

@Seds - The electric sportscar? Yeah they're cool I like the seamless acceleration and that. Found one down by the beach and had a blast. (So much so that I ended up blasting through the windscreen :S)

@gandalf - The cops seem to be as hard as nails now. I got involved in one cross-country chase that lasted ten minutes plus. I couldn't lose em, and they couldn't kill Trevor. (When they finally got him I was struggling to remember what they hell I'd been doing before. Turns out I just wanted to buy some purple glasses from the store I'd just robbed )

Incidentally, I can confirm:
  • You can rob the clothes stores via the 'threaten from outside' / shoot the register trick
  • You can hide in bushes, but not when there's a helicopter directly above you with a spotlight :S
  • Trevor likes to walk around in his pants

Caused a lot more mayhem yesterday, and progressed through a few more missions. I am now set up for Heist 2, I just have to do the actual heist mission itself.

I tend to play Franklin the most, while Lisa plays Michael and we share Trevor quests.

We get sidetracked incessantly!

*EDIT* Best make sure he's up for a long loan then

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm 22 hours in, and I've still barely scratched the surface. Amazing game so far. So much content.

Ten Things I've Enjoyed

• Mission Spectacular: When they get it right there are some great set ups here. Caida Libre might be my fave so far - A chase that utilises the scale of the world beautifully, and the vagueries of offroad driving to great effect. There was a real feeling of being able to pick your own path, and even when you came across a ridiculous jump it felt free-flowing. All rounded off nicely with a ludicrous side-plot for Trevor

• Cops are some cop: Their aggressive takedowns have added some steel to the keystone calamities, but the new cat and mouse mechanic is the best addition (which I'm hoping will be fun with no-HUD once I'm all missioned out)

• Shooting is a bit more Special: The slowdown and rampage specials make gunplay a lot more fun, even in free aim, and provide a certain sense and strategy to winning against the odds. (The driving slowdown also seems to have allowed them to make some of the car races more challenging).

• The random quests: are often surprisingly fleshed out. They may be little more than a glorified taxi run half the time, but even an excuse to charge across different terrain - while a character adds layers to the cooky clans and cults - still feels welcome at this point.

• LS Customs Free car customization for Franklin is addiccctivvvvve. Found myself far too happy to just zip different vehicles up and down freeways, sideroads and dirt-tracks to the distant shack, purely to see how they modded up (and how they drove back )

• Feltzing around: I've settled on the ludicrous Feltzer Sports as my road-beast of choice. It makes such a great noise, looks so ludicrous, and handles just loosely enough to be a lot of fun. (Seems to have a mix of decent traction getting the power down, a tail that'll still flip into a glide, and some hair-raisingly awful brakes )

• Rolling with the blows: In one ambient task I was gifted the trashed 'Rolls Royce' we'd been driving. I nursed it's flattened features to the garage down the road - which decided, despite the running engine, that I was driving a block of trash and wouldn't admit me. The car soon agreed. As is often the way, the game then furnished me with a fully functioning one nearby. With the checkpoints etc they've now balanced challenge and carnage in a way that keeps you bouncing along. The game giveth destruction, but it rarely taketh fun away

• Continued random surprises: Last night I learned that if you slam into certain drivers hard enough, they'll get their 'red dot' on and chase you round the city. Every time I play I feel like I run into a nice little tweak like this.

• The roads, the radio, the carjacking, the everything...: Everything that worked before works again! The radio makes me laugh with it's broad rainbow of the absurd (hydrating potato water) to the nigh-political (franchise prisons). When at it's best the music can gel with high octane moments or blissed out cruises. The zones are varied and the vehicular populaces all fun to mix it up with

• Trevor: The other characters are cool links to past GTAs, but T is a very fine embodiment of this reboot indeed.

Yes!

It's the little things that matter, right? That's what I have always heard, anyway...

Like the glory days of GTA:SA, I once again spend time just cruising around, finding things to do or look at, and just having a blast. After one particularly long police evasion, I found myself out in the middle of the wilderness in a Bullet, so I drove up to the top of the nearest rise and took in the sunset as I had a wee puff. The lights came on, I jumped in the car and meandered back into the city, taking in the sights, checking out all the little details in the environment. As I head across the rich part of town, I happen across the City Circuit races, and I pay the fee and head on out!

In GTA 4 I HATED the races. The damn cars were just too much of a pain in the ass for me to get to the point that I could enjoy a checkpoint race in the game, so I just blew them off. The races in this game are back to the hyper real fun I remembered from VC and SA, but the cars have a bit more weight to them. I think Rockstar found the perfect balance this time.