The Royal 100

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
"Well, I'm really not supposed to speak to strangers, but we've met before."

65. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
I had to have my favorite Disney princess story in here. This has been my favorite since I was very little, and I still love to watch it. I'm not one for Disney movies lately, so it's been awhile. I think my favorite thing is "Once upon a Dream" concept.

"You are the lowest. Makes me sick to breathe the same air."

64. Cape Fear (1962)
An eleven on a creepy scale from 1 to 10. Robert Mitchum scares me to this day when I watch this, and you can't help but root for Gregory Peck. Non-stop chills throughout up to the climax.

"Big mouth don't make a big man."

63. The Cowboys (1972)
Speaking of amazing villians, I couldn't wait to see Bruce Dern's character pay in this one. One of the greatest westerns ever. John Wayne is perfect, as usual, in this one loaded with memorable lines and moments. Not to mention, top notching directing and all-round great acting.

"Eternity is a right smart piece of time."

62. On Borrowed Time (1939)
This forgotten gem was brought up often by my father because he saw it as child and wanted to watch it again. But it was nearly impossible to find. Lionel Barrymore has rarely been better than here, and his grandson is simply adorable. It has a great message that is rarely found in movies today, and one that can certainly put a smile on your face.

"You look like crap... You're just walkin' around to save funeral expenses. "

61. The Electric Horseman (1979)
I'm a sucker for a movie with a good country western soundtrack. Robert Redford gives one of his best performances and Jane Fonda is a good match for him. A really good script and storyline. Plenty of romance and a few laughs round out this terrific drama.

Very solid and distinctive list you got there, Classic. Lots of loveable old school flicks, you are certainly living up to your screen name

Your inclusion of Regarding Henry made me remember how good a film it was. It's nice to see the Bourne Ultimatum get some love too. Bond has nothing on it. I'm really looking forward to the rest from your list (prays Memento makes it through)

Thanks, Prestige and all those who have been following. I'm glad I could make nebbit smile (although I'm not sure what wouldn't) with some guilty pleasures.

"You should have seen these guys, complete amateurs. Biggest risk was I'd fall down laughing and hurt myself."

60. Undercover Blues (1993)
Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner are perfect as this witty spy couple who had me laughing like crazy. This movie is just loads of fun. The material isn't exactly ready for the Oscars but I really enjoyed the performances. I guess this is one of my guilty pleasures and I love to re-watch it. The description wouldn't be complete without mentioning the hilarious Muerte either.

"What are the odds of that trap door leadin' me out here?"

59. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
My friends and I love to throw out quotes from this movie all the time! It's a masterpiece of Disney comedy. An excellent voice cast: David Spade, Patrick Warburton, John Goodman, Eartha Kitt. A movie that young children and adults will be laughing out loud at. My favorite character though as to be the lovable and laughable Kronk.

"Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her."

58. Star Wars Original Trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983)
These are the type of movie that makes a person love movies. Loads of action and excitement that can't be found in every day life. Lucas brillantly plays with our imagination and that's what makes this series so fun. The characters are some of the most memorable played by very talented actors and actresses. A must-see for all movie buffs!

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

56. Trouble Along the Way (1953)
It's a relatively unknown film, but that's pretty sad. It's a real charmer! John Wayne, Donna Reed, and Charles Coburn all turn in fabulous performances. It's a very cute father-daughter story with comedy and romance throughout. Truly classic!

''You beat that poor man to the draw. He's dead and you're alive. That's the idea of this game, isn't it?"

55. Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter (1969/1971)
A very comedic western, probably the reason why it's one of my favorites. James Garner is great in this role. Loads of laughs spread out evenly. Jack Elam provides a hilarious character as well. Always a blast to watch.

"Thats what I said! Booby traps!"

54. The Goonies (1985)
This movie is another movie that embraces the pure fun that movies are. It's made just to entertain you. The plot is pretty crazy and it's not going to win an academy award, but I love it. It perfectly captures the magic of being a kid.

"But I am mad about Jose. I honestly think I'd give up smoking if he asked me."

53. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Audrey Hepburn gave such a wonderful performance with Holly Golightly, an amazingly memorable character. This movie incorporates laughs with romance and drama. The script and storyline is great. A true and charming classic.

Sorry about the split

"Is that ten grand or are you just happy to see me?"

53. Diggstown (1992)
I think I love this movie as much as I do simply for the awesome resolution. I really need to rewatch this one. I remember the acting being good and the storyline too. A little humor thrown in as well.

"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge"
XX
52. Kelly's Heroes (1970)
One of my favorite war movies, but it's also like a heist flick. Clint Eastwood does a great job leading the great cast. The script and storyline are definately worth the watch. A must-see for fans of WW2 films.

"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."

51. The Godfather & The Godfather: Part 2(1972 & 1974)
These are amazing films, but I don't think I have been able to fully appreciate them yet. I think they require a bit deeper understanding. Perfect re-watch ability and Part is probably the best sequel ever made. An amazing drama with excitement mixed in. Terrific script and performances. Must-see in general.

Sorry it is taking me FOREVER to get through this, but I'm making some adjustments in my Top 50. Plus, I just haven't felt very inspired to post here lately...

Alright, this is much overdue, but it is back with the Top 50

"A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself."

50. The Usual Suspects (1995)
Belongs in a category for all-time best who-dun-its. Acting has never been better than Spacey's performance as Verbal. The rest of the cast definately holds their own. The dialouge is excellent. Even though the storyline is very complex and difficult to understand, you still like this movie. The shocking plot twist ending has been used in other places now, but it is never better than in this film. Throw in some awesome camera shots and direction, and you have yourself this fabulous movie.

"Does your dog bite?"

49. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
The "Does your dog bite" scene from this movie may have had me laughing harder than any comedic skit in any movie I've seen. Strikes Again is my favorite of the Pink Panther series. I need to re-watch the whole series again, but this one was hilarious. Sellers returns as the ever-fumbling Clouseau. Completed with the team of Blake Edwards and Henry Mancini, an all around fun flick.

"Of course he's upset. He's a lawyer - he's paid to be upset."

48. The Fortune Cookie (1966)
The first film from the hilarious Matthau-Lemmon duo, and it already seems like they've made twenty movies together with their chemistry. Not to mention, Willie and Harry are such memorable characters. A very long film but there is a suttle wit throughout that makes it so enjoyable. I also would like to throw out that I even like the musical score.

"I've inspected this boat, and I think you ought to know that I can't swim."

47. The Guns of Navarone (1961)
One of my favorite war stories. The acting is really superb. Gregory Peck shows off his talent here in a couple important scenes. David Niven perhaps gives one of his most notable performances as well, and Anthony Quinn is cast perfectly. It was surprisingly suspenseful to me with a particularly tense scene. Great storyline and script. The sequel starring Harrison Ford and Robert Shaw is so different from this one that I have difficulty comparing the two. However, I would have to give this one the win.

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."

46. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Is that not a fabulous line or what? Arsenic and Old Lace is full of laugh-out-loud lines just like that one, and that's part of why I love it so much. The insane (and those going there) characters are so much fun played by an excellent cast. Grant didn't like his performance in this movie but it's a lot of fun. A different kind of Capra film, but definately fits in as a classic with his others. One of the best stage-to-screen adaptations and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes to laugh.

"Men speak conveniently of love when it serves their purpose."

45. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Perhaps I put this one a little far up on this list, but I really liked this movie in spite of how laughable it can be. A guilty pleasure sure, but it's a lot of fun. A script written with plenty of laughs to fit the classic story of Robin Hood. A special mention should go to Alan Rickman's terrific performance as the Sheriff.

"I'll stop a car, and I won't use my thumb."

44. It Happened One Night (1934)
One of the oldest movies on my list, It Happened One Night has lived of to its fame. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable were an excellent pair. They seemed to really capture their characters. Frank Capra directs, which almost inevitably means we're in for something good. A little long for a romantic comedy, but worth the running time. One for any film buff to check out.

''I'm shooting pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot."

43. The Hustler (1961)
Paul Newman and Robert Rossen created the fascinating character "Fast Eddie Felson" seen here. This drama follows Eddie's pool games and relationship with Sara, nicely played by Piper Laurie. James Gleason has never been better than portraying Minnesota Fats. Even pulls at the heartstrings a little. I think anyone can enjoy this film. A must-see.

"I couldn't just stand there and watch him shoot those people right in front of me."

42. Patriot Games (1992)
Personally, I find this movie underrated. Although I may like this movie more because I read the Tom Clancy novel it's based on. I think the plot to Patriot Games is much more interesting than The Hunt for Red October but less complex than in Clear and Present Danger. All three of these stories are so different that they hardly seem like the same series. I think Ford is the best choice for the part of super cool agent Jack Ryan. A good supporting cast too, Sean Bean, Anne Archer, Samuel L. Jackson, and James Earl Jones. Maybe it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's a favorite of mine.

"Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."

41. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
A powerful drama that's impressive in practically every area. Stephen King's fascinating story with a surprising and inspiring ending. Tim Robbins was flawless and Morgan Freeman is absolutely marvelous as the two leads. The whole cast has impressive chemistry. Darabont crafts the movie for us without problem. One that can be watched repeatedly without losing anything, and it's hard to find anything like it.

Not a bad addition, CQ. Shawshank and The Hustler are films I really like, while I just can't make up my mind how much I like It Happened One Night.

"That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is."

40. Murder by Death (1976)
One of the most hilarious mysteries of all-time period. Period. An amazing cast plays a load of quirky and wacky characters. Peter Sellers' Chinese detective had me rolling. Neil Simon provides a screenplay packed with laughs. The mystery itself is nearly impossible to crack, but you don't care. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy watching this movie.

"When a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run."

39. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Practically the definitive screwball comedy. Katharine Hepburn shines as the light and looney Susan Vance who will do anything to get nerdy and unlucky David Huxley (Cary Grant) to fall in love with her. Throw in a lot of zany mishaps and a script filled with gags and jokes, and what you have is this fun film.

"Last time there was a leak like this, Noah built hisself a boat."

38. Absence of Malice (1981)
A fascinating drama with a touch of mystery. Absence of Malice stars Sally Field and Paul Newman, who are absolutely perfect. Newman will not disappoint here and Field is very impressive with the rather deep character she plays. The script is top-notch. A film that I seem to gain a little more appreciation for with repeated viewings.

"That's about the best a girl can hope for these days, to be a pretty little fool."

37. The Great Gatsby (1974)
I find this film to somewhat unappreciated. It has all the makings of a classic. Coppola's beautiful script follows Fitzgerald's storyline well in telling the tale of a few rich Long Islanders in the Roaring 20s. Daisy Buchanon and Jay Gatsby are fascinating characters, and Mia Farrow and Robert Redford make an excellent couple. Sam Waterson gives a terrific performance as my favorite character Nick Carraway. Supporting cast is great too. A tragic love story with a lot of intrigue.

"Story of my life. I always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop."

35. Some Like It Hot (1959)
A movie that still pleases audiences today and is far from outdated. Billy Wilder brings Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Marilyn Monroe together to highlight this lovable comedy. The storyline itself can make a person laugh. I can't explain why this movie is great, so just watch it and you'll like it. Not to mention, it has perhaps the absolute greatest last lines in cinema.

Cool list.... I went ahead and added you to the MoFo Members Top 100 Lists... which means... you gotta finish it now for sure...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)