Polish Movies Posters

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
This list of (mainly vintage) Polish movie posters caught my eye t'day...

50 Incredible Film Posters From Poland

Thought y'all might like.

Interesting that posters weren't censored during Communist times, so there's allegedly some politically commentary going on in some of these - or at very least some freewheeling freedom of expression.

They're definitely.... different . Lot's of watching eyes, brooding tones and angles, barely suppressed anger, curious flights of fancy, and Bruce Lee sorta wearing lipstick. (Well, i may have been influenced by having just read Adi's homo-haranguings of 'Prestige's Brokeback review on that one . But I guess homosexuality mighta been suppressed during those days - and this'd be another theme that might turn up on the posters.)

Anyways, plenty more links to Polish Western posters and more modern fare on the page. Y'enjoy now.

Actually, now i think about it, this poster for War Games mighta suggested the gay theme to me too . That and, y'know, the less-caricatured take on Tootsie, and the cartoony torso-sketchs for Raging Bull.

I love the one for The Fly

Look at these things:

Know what this is? SHORT CIRCUIT 2!

The most bizarre, yet still creepy, poster for CRITTERS that I have ever seen.

ALIEN

Their TERMS OF ENDEARMENT poster looks like what would happen if those TANG mouths from the old Tang commercials ever started a phone sex line.

Semper Fooey
This one is best because it perfectly captures the awesome sexual mystique of Shelley Duvall.

Semper Fooey
Ronald is a bad clown.

But so was Hitler.

The picture in larger size has more hilarious detail.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
These are amazing! I have to say I think I like the Gremlins one the most!

I don't usually hang posters on my walls. But of the ones shown:

Apocalypse Now
The Fly
Weekend at Bernie's
Empire Strikes Back
M*A*S*H
The Late Show

^ Those would take pride of place on my walls. They're fantastic!

Well, i may have been influenced by having just read Adi's homo-haranguings of 'Prestige's Brokeback review on that one
Heh, I almost forgot about that squibble. Was reading back the other day and I still have no idea what the problem was. Funny looking back though.

I really dig the Fatal Attraction one as well as The Fly.

I don't know about some of these Polish posters. Weekend at Bernie's?

I don't think I saw the Psycho poster among the ones provided in the link, but I've always liked it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Erm, I guess the Bernies one could be a take on 'animated corpses' / fake life etc?

PS lines your pic link is 'forbidden' at the mo

PS lines your pic link is 'forbidden' at the mo
If you want to see the one lines posted google image search "ballad narayama polish poster". It's something else.

If you visit www.posteritati.com, do an advanced search and under "poster nationality" search Poland, you'll find about 300 for sale. The Godfather goes for $1000.00.

Heh, but 101 Dalmations is $1250.00!

Nothing is straightforward in Polish Poster Land