The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I wasn't much of a Mass Effect fan. I should have been as it reminded me of old KotOR, but I just couldn't get into that style anymore. I can't remember why. It may be because I was really into Call of Duty and wanted a faster trigger game. I did like Deus Ex though. That one felt more involving. Or something. It's been too long.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yeah, everyone and their mom likes Deus Ex. Played a bit a little while ago, thought it was alright. Given, I didn't play much of it so this isn't a final verdict. But I take it it's one of those games I should've played when it first came out seeing as it was groundbreaking then, or some such. I'll pick it back up eventually. There are just so many games and so little time.

I wasn't much of a Mass Effect fan. I should have been as it reminded me of old KotOR, but I just couldn't get into that style anymore. I can't remember why. It may be because I was really into Call of Duty and wanted a faster trigger game. I did like Deus Ex though. That one felt more involving. Or something. It's been too long.
i only played 2nd mass effect thats all. i didnt like new call of duty i prefer classic call of duty and battlefield better. i think i remember deus ex its that half human and robot game?

i only played 2nd mass effect thats all. i didnt like new call of duty i prefer classic call of duty and battlefield better. i think i remember deus ex its that half human and robot game?
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is why I bought my old PS3. I seriously bought a system just for one game =\

Deus Ex is probably what you're thinking. Third-person quest/shooter similar to Mass Effect. You upgrade your weapons and character. It's been too long though so I don't remember much past that. But I thought it was good. Not as fast as a Call of Duty shooter, but not as slow and clunky as Mass Effect. IMO.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is why I bought my old PS3. I seriously bought a system just for one game =\

Deus Ex is probably what you're thinking. Third-person quest/shooter similar to Mass Effect. You upgrade your weapons and character. It's been too long though so I don't remember much past that. But I thought it was good. Not as fast as a Call of Duty shooter, but not as slow and clunky as Mass Effect. IMO.
well Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was my favorite cod game until lots of hackers ruined it. i use to be obsessed with that game. hope u kept ur old ps3 as ur memories.

yes that what i was thinking, it came out like early 2000s right?

there's a frog in my snake oil
So Elite is finally becoming a weird proc gen RPG-lite... thingy...

PC alpha starting Monday, launch in spring, consoles in autumn.

I'll report back from the alpha. (Assuming I can hack enough VR into it for my liking )

The Adventure Starts Here!
Return of the Obra Dinn is very good and very addicting. It's a must for puzzle game lovers and obsessive completionists.
I've had this on my Steam wishlist for months. And I THINK it was recently on sale and I let it go by because I had just bought several other games.

Next time the price dips, I'm in.

I've had this on my Steam wishlist for months. And I THINK it was recently on sale and I let it go by because I had just bought several other games.

Next time the price dips, I'm in.
I hope you enjoy it. Not to spoil it too much, but it will make you an expert in two very different subjects: forensics and old ships.

Oh yeah, there's some gushing earlier in the thread. I was waiting for Obra Dinn for literally years, bought and played it immediately, and it instantly became one of the most satisfying video game experiences I've ever had. My wife and I played it together. It's a masterpiece.

Oh yeah, there's some gushing earlier in the thread. I was waiting for Obra Dinn for literally years, bought and played it immediately, and it instantly became one of the most satisfying video game experiences I've ever had. My wife and I played it together. It's a masterpiece.
So, is there an original Obra Dinn and this is the Return of Obra Din? Or are you guys talking about the same game?

Yoda, you know I value your opinion about all things gaming. Good to hear from both of you here!

It's the same game, I'm just shortening it.

Yeah, I really cannot give a strong enough recommendation to Return of the Obra Dinn. There are some legitimate critiques of it, but they just pale in comparison to what it does right. No game has ever done satisfying, logical deduction better, to my mind. No game has ever made me feel more like a real detective.

dagnabbit. I didn't think too deeply on that post and assumed it was a reference to LEXX and the Brennen-G.

*mutters quietly in the corner*

clearly I would fail at this game.

Thimbleweed Park is currently 60% off... Anybody here play it? Thoughts? (Yeah, now I'm going to pay more attention to Steam sales for wishlist games!)

Well, I finished The Return of the Obra Dinn. Lucas Pope (who also made Papers, Please, which I also adore) is a genius. If only I could wipe my memory of it so I can play it again brand new.

Yeah, I really cannot give a strong enough recommendation to Return of the Obra Dinn. There are some legitimate critiques of it, but they just pale in comparison to what it does right. No game has ever done satisfying, logical deduction better, to my mind. No game has ever made me feel more like a real detective.
All of this. My only critique is that
WARNING: spoilers below
some deaths can really only be solved by process of elimination and not detective work, but I agree that they pale in comparison to all of the other game's qualities.

Do you remember if you or anyone else in this thread who played this game needed any help at solving any of the deaths? I did need outside help to solve the death of Alfred, the bosun. I tried pretty much every way a beast could kill someone (clawed, clubbed, eaten, etc.) until I found that you have to select "torn apart."

I don't remember offhand, but that kind of thing is pretty common I think.

I was more annoyed until I read that for some deaths more than one description is accepted by the game, which helps a bit.

I actually really like that some of it's just process of elimination, but seems like a reasonable thing to differ on.

Anyway, yeah, dude's a genius. I got to meet him in Seattle a couple of years ago and beta test the game a little. Really nice, thoughtful guy.

I didn't read Torgo's spoilers, and I did play for about 15 minutes yesterday. Didn't have time to fall into it as I would have liked. All those currently EMPTY pages in the journal book, though, are intimidating.

Oh, yeah, it's a little much at first. The visual style is so jarring, the mechanics are a bit wonky, and it takes a bit before it all clicks and you get the deeeeeep satisfaction of locking in another set of fates, but after you get over that hump it's all you can think about.