Anyone here see Promised Land (1987)?

Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Not sure if I'm going to watch it or not, but I can't find what its rating (R) is based on. I try to stray away from sex and nudity, so is there much/any?

Thanks
-CQ

Never seen it but wikipedia has "The film is rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America for some profanity and sexual situations.". Don't read the wikipedia article though as it has spoilers.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Kept meaning to dig out my copy.

First of all, you should know it isn't a very good movie, very average TV-movie-quality, at best. The rating is for maybe eight or nine uses of "fu*k", a couple "sh!ts", and in the introduction to the Meg Ryan character she is in bed, naked, and when she rises you can barely make out her left breast from behind and the side. Scandalous. There is a bit of blood for a gunshot wound in the overwrought finale, and that's it. I'd consider it a very soft R, though I don't have any idea how sensitive you are about such things. I'd wager any two episodes of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" are exponentially more disturbing than everything in Promised Land.

And don't get the wrong idea from the publicity photo above: that has nothing to do with the tone of Promised Land. Gedrick and Pollan are really the main characters, and Ryan plays a tattooed drifter with psychotic tendencies and, for her first sections of the movie, pink hair. It's a zillion miles form a Romantic Comedy and a pretty lame entry in the coming-of-age smalltown drama category.

Mostly I'd just dissuade you from watching the flick because it is so utterly pedestrian and forgettable. For example, Sean Penn's The Indian Runner (1991) has similar themes and is so much more interesting and compelling. Or an earlier movie Penn starred in, Racing with the Moon (1984), which is a '40 period piece but again similar themes much better examined.

But, to each their own.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PromisedLand.jpg
Views:	5394
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	6776  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra