Screen Tests of Actors Who Didn't Make The Cut

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Especially the really popular movies/actors

Robert De Niro tried out for the role of Sonny in "The Godfather". I'm glad James Caan was selected. Good for De Niro, too, who got to play Vito Corleone in the flashback scenes in The Godfather: Part II

Part of me wishes the Kurt Russell had been cast as Han Solo.

Quite a few famous - or will be - screen tests done for Gone With the Wind, including Lana Turner & Ava Gardner amongst others.

It wasn't until I watched the documentary Allen VS Farrow that I realized that Mia Farrow screen tested for the role of Leisel in The Sound of Music, which eventually went to the late Charmain Carr. A clip of the screentest is included in the documentary.

Just found this on You Tube...this is Sandy Duncan's screen test for the role of Minnie Fay in the film version of Hello Dolly,a role that eventually went to EJ Peaker:

Several years ago, I also saw Ann-Margret's screen test for Hello Dolly where she sings "Ribbons Down My Back"...she was auditioning for the role of Irene Malloy that went to Marianne McAndrew. Sadly, I can't find it anywhere because it's a great test and should have gotten her the part.

Fascinating screen test! Still, I can hardly imagine anyone else for "Rebel" but James Dean.
It's surprising how often they picked the right actor for the right movie. I couldn't image anyone doing any of the three feature films that James Dean starred in, except for himself. Well maybe Robert Walker could've done East of Eden.

It's surprising how often they picked the right actor for the right movie. I couldn't image anyone doing any of the three feature films that James Dean starred in, except for himself. Well maybe Robert Walker could've done East of Eden.
Yeah, Walker might have worked, and of course Brando. Montgomery Clift, Paul Newman and Jack Lemmon would have been great, but they were already in their 30s.

I have the same feeling, and it is a strong feeling, but part of my mind says, "Beware the 'memberberries, they're not as sweet as they look." If we swapped key casting decisions in some major motion pictures we would probably feel the same way about the also-rans, at least in some cases.