Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

8/10 - Another good one. I'm on a roll! Would you believe before I started watching that I thought the movie would be about horses? My dumb subconscious given full reign. A warning - there is savage violence in this movie. Cosmo Jarvis is incredible as "Arm" and Barry Keoghan goes from strength to strength. I was just supposed to rate!! I had to say something about it....

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Gyeongju (Zhang Lü, 2014)
+ 5/10
Flashbacks of a Fool (Baillie Walsh, 2008)
5.5/10
Forbidden Island (Charles B. Griffith, 1959)
5/10
Our Dancing Daughters (Harry Beaumont, 1928)
5.5/10

Joan Crawford is actually a serious flapper.
Honeydew (Devereux Milburn, 2020)
5/10
Our Very Own (David Miller, 1950)
5.5/10
Pacific Liner (Lew Landers, 1939)
5/10
Paisan (Roberto Rossellini, 1946)
6/10

Multiple stories set at the end of WWII Italy.
Red Moon Tide (Lois Patiño, 2020)
5.5/10
Beast from Haunted Cave (Monte Hellman, 1959)
4/10
A Quiet Dream (Zhang Lü, 2016)
+ 5/10
The Perils of Pauline (George Marshall, 1947)
6.5/10

Betty Hutton, as Pearl White, the first movie star, does another of her spectacular one-take stunts.
Ski Troop Attack (Roger Corman, 1960)
5/10
Operator 13 (Richard Boleslavsky, 1934)
5.5/10
A Night for Crime (Alexis Thurn-Taxis, 1945)
5/10
The Soul AKA Ji hun (Cheng Wei-hao, 2021)
6/10

Convoluted sci-fi/horror holds interest despite overlength.
The Tunnel (Pål Øie, 2019)
6/10
Held (Chris Lofing & Travis Cluff, 2020)
5/10
Things (Andrew Jordan, 1989)
+ 4.5/10 WTF Rating 7/10
Icarus XB 1 AKA Voyage to the End of the Universe (Jindrich Polák, 1963)
+ 6/10

Occasionally amazing sci-fi presages 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Solaris, "Star Trek" and many others.

For that "era" I'd say it is a fair rating.
If you count that there were not many resources, nor special effects, nor other things which can be found in modern cinema I'd say it is a fair rating.
Otherwise I would have rated the film with a 6.
Maybe in the 70's everyone rated the movie with a high rating....
But German cinematography was not quite Hollywood -meaning less resources.
The story is great but you have to admit the film is far from perfect I've seen plenty of films so far so there is room for better.
But for that time, Werner Herzog made a pretty authentic film.
Hence the rating !

Di je Karlo?
Marmoulak/The Lizard -9/10

I've been hearing for years how Iran has one of the most underrated movie industries around, and I finally got around to watching one. It's a crime comedy with great deadpan delivery, a perfect lead actor, and real snappy dialogue. The last one's jard to judge since I don't speak persian, but the english subtitles were definitely that.

8/10 - Another good one. I'm on a roll! Would you believe before I started watching that I thought the movie would be about horses? My dumb subconscious given full reign. A warning - there is savage violence in this movie. Cosmo Jarvis is incredible as "Arm" and Barry Keoghan goes from strength to strength. I was just supposed to rate!! I had to say something about it....
Never heard of this movie, but I can stream it on Netflix so have put it in my watchlist.

Mystery Alaska - 8/10
Inferno - 2016 - 7/10
Eyes Wide Shut - 8/10

Dead and Buried - In an alternate timeline I probably did pluck this off the shelf at Blockbuster and take it home because this sure seems like the kind of movie I would have watched. 1981 horror entry starring James Farentino and Jack Albertson as the sheriff and coroner/mortician of a small fogbound coastal Maine town (although there's not a single New England accent to be found). It does give off a strong The Fog vibe which came out the year before but that's probably just the locale. Weird things are afoot in Potter's Bluff with bodies piling up in "a town the size of a postage stamp". Sheriff Dan Gillis (Farentino) is determined to get to the bottom of it and he enlists the help of William G. Dobbs (Albertson), the eccentric medical examiner. I went into this cold with no inkling as to what was happening onscreen. After some buildup the true cause of the mayhem is gradually revealed starting about halfway through. Some people might find it slow moving but the atmosphere is right and the effects by the great Stan Winston are exemplary. Farentino does a good job as the increasingly agitated Gillis and a frail Jack Albertson gives it his all in his second to last performance. He would succumb to cancer not long after the movies premiere. This is not a "great" movie in the strictest sense but it is a good one.

[center]

Dead and Buried - In an alternate timeline I probably did pluck this off the shelf at Blockbuster and take it home because this sure seems like the kind of movie I would have watched. 1981 horror entry starring James Farentino and Jack Albertson as the sheriff and coroner/mortician of a small fogbound coastal Maine town (although there's not a single New England accent to be found). It does give off a strong The Fog vibe which came out the year before but that's probably just the locale. Weird things are afoot in Potter's Bluff with bodies piling up in "a town the size of a postage stamp". Sheriff Dan Gillis (Farentino) is determined to get to the bottom of it and he enlists the help of William G. Dobbs (Albertson), the eccentric medical examiner. I went into this cold with no inkling as to what was happening onscreen. After some buildup the true cause of the mayhem is gradually revealed starting about halfway through. Some people might find it slow moving but the atmosphere is right and the effects by the great Stan Winston are exemplary. Farentino does a good job as the increasingly agitated Gillis and a frail Jack Albertson gives it his all in his second to last performance. He would succumb to cancer not long after the movies premiere. This is not a "great" movie in the strictest sense but it is a good one.

I watched yesterday interesting movie Hundra (1983) - in my opinion 9/10. It's really good music of Ennio Morricone and beautiful actress Laurene Landon.

Heh. I did actually watch this because of you, Tak, Wooley and Torgo. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Victim of The Night

You are correct, sir.

For that "era" I'd say it is a fair rating.
If you count that there were not many resources, nor special effects, nor other things which can be found in modern cinema I'd say it is a fair rating.
Otherwise I would have rated the film with a 6.
Maybe in the 70's everyone rated the movie with a high rating....
But German cinematography was not quite Hollywood -meaning less resources.
The story is great but you have to admit the film is far from perfect I've seen plenty of films so far so there is room for better.
But for that time, Werner Herzog made a pretty authentic film.
Hence the rating !
What additional special effects would Aguirre have needed to be a greater film than it already was? Herzog & crew made it by essentially doing everything the expedition they were "portraying" for real themselves, like this scene...

...where there's no visual trickery involved to make it merely look like there's a long, winding caravan of people coming down a mountain, because they actually are coming down a mountain; I mean, isn't that more than enough?

This was the 9th movie out of 10 I loaned from the library. I wasn't exactly peeing myself in excitement about watching it, but I got it for some reason (saw the trailer...good IMDb score) and had to watch it. When I went to put it on the DVD box was empty. I was pretty happy for a few minutes, but when I checked all my players I found it in the lounge room. Obviously I'd meant to put it on before and couldn't go through with it...

This is a remake of a 1979 George Burns film - and, it felt to me, a remake of 2011 Ben Stiller/Eddie Murphy film Tower Heist. There were a couple of laughs, and the film was barely passable.

To Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkman : Do you want your Oscars or the money? It doesn't seem fair to have both.

5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
This is the movie where they burn this poor dude alive, put him in a car to make it look like an accident, and when investigators get there they find he isn't dead yet, isn't it? I'll never forget that scene with his screaming - and his ordeal isn't over. A most unfortunate fellow!