Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

That should be on Tubi in a nice transfer.

I like the movie. Good lead actress, well paced and energetically executed.
I love a trashy movie once in a while. My DVD is pretty grainy but it kind of adds to the atmosphere.

82. Big Momma’s House (2000) TV first watch
Not the type of movie I would usually give the time of day but my daughter was amused. The make up was great but this isn’t a movie I could go back to again. A few funny moments but I preferred The Nutty Professor (1996) which was a very similar idea. I’m sure the sequels would be a complete rehash of the original using the same gags?

83. Cliffhanger (1993)TV rewatch
I remember this movie was quite a big release in its day. Decided to give it another go as it’s been year since I’ve last seen it. Pretty much what you could expect from a Stallone movie. I would have rated this higher on it’s release as this was quite a fresh idea. But for me now it seems to be a bog standard action film.

84. Curse of the Werewolf (1961) DVD rewatch
Hammer Studios did a fine job with this Werewolf entry. Some may be frustrated not seeing the Werewolf until the final 10 mins but it’s all about the internal struggle of the protagonist until the great finale.

86. Emoji Movie (2017) TV rewatch
I took my daughter to see this at the movies on its release and didn’t really know what to make of it. After a repeated viewing, I still feel the same.

87. Train to Busan (2016) TV First watch
This movie adds a few fresh ideas to a cliched sub genre where you think there’s no originality left. Once the action kicks in it doesn’t let up. The terror element is spot on and you are certainly left with the feeling of claustrophobia with the setting on a train. Some fine performances and a touching finale make this a worth while view.

88. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976) DVD rewatch
Some may class this as a slasher film but it’s certainly put together more like a true crime detective story. This must have had a major influence on Friday the 13th part 2 with the hooded killer being identical, but it is a step up from a b movie horror.

89. The Machinist (2004) DVD rewatch
Outstanding performance from Bale who sacrificed so much for this role. The plot is a strange one but stay with it. Everything is explained in the final moments and it’s well worth the wait.

I forgot the opening line.
Hey Thunderbolt,

I've been reading through your 2021 movie diary and really enjoying it. Especially when my favourites crop up. You've also provided me with a few titles of note that I need to see! (Out of the Furnace, In Fabric and The Old Dark House are examples.)

The Evil Dead - Coming from back in the days when video stores were novel, I remember this as a pretty hard-core horror film. As the years have gone by I've notice the amazing shots, sound effects and dark humour. This has been a film that I've respected more and more as time has gone by. A true classic - though at the time it was derided as trash. 10/10

American Beauty - "Look Closer" the advertising and poster invited us to do. No need in my case. I was rivetted from the very first viewing - and spent every second contemplating it's meaning. 10/10

3:10 to Yuma - Wrestles with High Noon as the best Western ever made in my opinion. Superb performances from a magnetic Glenn Ford and downtrodden Van Heflin. With the original this good, I'm never going to watch the remake. 10/10

No Country For Old Men - I don't really need to say much here. And in any event, who hasn't seen this masterpiece? 10/10

Groundhog Day - Saw this at the cinema back in 1993. Fantastic comedy. I love time travel/displacement themes. Without Bill Murray this would have been just an average Hollywood comedic offering. The power of the movie rests squarely on his shoulders. 9/10

Casablanca - I was going to say that this is my favourite Bogart film, but then I think of The Maltese Falcon and African Queen. I think maybe with Bogart films it's impossible to have a favourite. 10/10

Rosemary's Baby - If John Cassavetes had of directed this film I fear it would have gone for 220 minutes and starred Gena Rowlands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Psychological horror at it's best. 9/10

The Gift - I recommend this film to all and sundry. Pretty darned good thriller that went pretty much unnoticed. Keep a look out for Joel Edgerton's films. 2018's Boy Erased is pretty good too. 8/10

Unforgiven - It's been too long since I sat down and watched this film uninterrupted. 9/10

The Big Lebowski - I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your excellent review. A review which has made me want to rewatch this glorious picture and, as you say, notice something new yet again. 10/10

Hey Thunderbolt,

I've been reading through your 2021 movie diary and really enjoying it. Especially when my favourites crop up. You've also provided me with a few titles of note that I need to see! (Out of the Furnace, In Fabric and The Old Dark House are examples.)

The Evil Dead - Coming from back in the days when video stores were novel, I remember this as a pretty hard-core horror film. As the years have gone by I've notice the amazing shots, sound effects and dark humour. This has been a film that I've respected more and more as time has gone by. A true classic - though at the time it was derided as trash. 10/10

American Beauty - "Look Closer" the advertising and poster invited us to do. No need in my case. I was rivetted from the very first viewing - and spent every second contemplating it's meaning. 10/10

3:10 to Yuma - Wrestles with High Noon as the best Western ever made in my opinion. Superb performances from a magnetic Glenn Ford and downtrodden Van Heflin. With the original this good, I'm never going to watch the remake. 10/10

No Country For Old Men - I don't really need to say much here. And in any event, who hasn't seen this masterpiece? 10/10

Groundhog Day - Saw this at the cinema back in 1993. Fantastic comedy. I love time travel/displacement themes. Without Bill Murray this would have been just an average Hollywood comedic offering. The power of the movie rests squarely on his shoulders. 9/10

Casablanca - I was going to say that this is my favourite Bogart film, but then I think of The Maltese Falcon and African Queen. I think maybe with Bogart films it's impossible to have a favourite. 10/10

Rosemary's Baby - If John Cassavetes had of directed this film I fear it would have gone for 220 minutes and starred Gena Rowlands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Psychological horror at it's best. 9/10

The Gift - I recommend this film to all and sundry. Pretty darned good thriller that went pretty much unnoticed. Keep a look out for Joel Edgerton's films. 2018's Boy Erased is pretty good too. 8/10

Unforgiven - It's been too long since I sat down and watched this film uninterrupted. 9/10

The Big Lebowski - I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your excellent review. A review which has made me want to rewatch this glorious picture and, as you say, notice something new yet again. 10/10
Thanks so much for taking the time to look through my reviews. Similar to myself you sound like someone who appreciates many film genres. I hope you continue to keep up to date with my thread and post your thoughts. I’m hoping to hit the 200 view mark by the end of the year.
You may even strongly disagree with some of my thoughts but I welcome all comments. That’s the great thing about movies, we all see things from different angles and come to our own conclusions. Also, welcome to Movie Forum.

90. The Initiation (1984) DVD rewatch
Another piece of slice and dice from the 80s. The first half is more of a psychological thriller but it then turns into a fairly standard slasher movie with the usual cliches and a twist finale. Pretty cheesy stuff but any slasher fan will be in their element.

Victim of The Night

90. The Initiation (1984) DVD rewatch
Another piece of slice and dice from the 80s. The first half is more of a psychological thriller but it then turns into a fairly standard slasher movie with the usual cliches and a twist finale. Pretty cheesy stuff but any slasher fan will be in their element.
I've been thinking about watching this, it's in my Amazon queue. Might pick it up when I get back home to New Orleans.

91. Friday the 13th (1980) DVD rewatch
The only Friday film to have a different killer, and thanks to the skills of Tom Savini some of the best kills are featured here in the original.
Who is killing the teens at soon to be opened Camp Crystal Lake? It sure as hell isn’t Jason.....yet. Some will say it doesn’t get any better than this but any of the Paramount films get my thumbs up. I would rate this a good standard horror but will give it an extra mark for old school effects.

I forgot the opening line.
The only Friday film to have a different killer, and thanks to the skills of Tom Savini some of the best kills are featured here in the original.
Don't Forget Friday the 13th Part V : A New Beginning, which Jason sat out. Wasn't really a new beginning, but then again, Part IV wasn't really the final chapter and the 9th film wasn't the final Friday either.

Don't Forget Friday the 13th Part V : A New Beginning, which Jason sat out. Wasn't really a new beginning, but then again, Part IV wasn't really the final chapter and the 9th film wasn't the final Friday either.
This is very true about part V, how could I forget. I do have mixed feelings about the copycat killer and can’t decide if it’s a great twist or a total cop out. I do however enjoy the film as a whole and it allows for the Tommy Jarvis story to continue.

92. The Last Picture Show (1971) DVD rewatch
Teens and adults alike struggle to get through everyday life in a 1950s Texan town. The residents are desperately trying to break away from the town but with so many stuck in a rut, affairs and controversial goings on are the only means of passing the time.
This is by no means a feel good movie but superbly acted by the young cast and a Jeff Bridges high point. Controversial on its time of release, this still raises a few eyebrows today.

93. What Lies Beneath (2000) DVD rewatch
Unlike many modern horror films this focusses more on atmosphere than gore. A well acted horror/mystery starring two of our modern day best. Ford and Pfeiffer are well cast and have great on screen chemistry. Considering Pfeiffer’s fear of water, this must’ve been a tough role.

94. Ferdinand (2017) TV rewatch
Family viewing time again and this was my daughters choice for tonight. As far as children’s movies go this had a pretty touching plot with few amusing moments.

95. She Wolf of London (1946) DVD rewatch
This is branded as a Universal monster film but this is actually quite misleading. In no way connected to the Wolf man cycle, this is more of a mystery disguised as something else. A few atmospheric moments but perhaps slightly desperate on trying to cash in on the success of another film.