2010 - 10
2012 - 9
2014 - 9
2016 - 9
2017 - 9
2018 - 8
2019 - 6

5 films apiece - Martin Scorsese, Denis Villenueve

3 - Terrence Malick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Coen Brothers, Roman Polanski, Quentin Tarantino (only 2 entries)

2 - Darren Aronofsky, Taika Waititi, Yorgos Lanthimos, David Lowery, Dan Gilroy, Ben Wheatley, Oz Perkins, Bong Joon-ho, James Gray, Noah Baumbach, Panos Cosmatos, David Cronenberg, Alejandro Jodorowsky (only 1 entry), JC Chandor (only 1 entry)

Review upvotes -

Drive - 10
Mad Max: Fury Road - 8
Parasite - 8
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 7
Nightcrawler - 7
The Blackcoat's Daughter - 7
The Babadook - 7
Hugo - 7
The Tree of Life - 6
Arrival - 6
Ex Machina - 6
Blue Ruin - 6
JoJo Rabbit - 6
Gravity - 6
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 6
Ghost Writer - 6
The Nice Guys - 6

The non-review post with the most upvotes goes to crumbsroom's defense of the Nazi satire in JoJo Rabbit, a film, I remind, that he has not seen.

The non-review post with the most upvotes goes to crumbsroom's defense of the Nazi satire in JoJo Rabbit, a film, I remind, that he has not seen.

I've just seen it, my father cried tears of joy, and everything I said pre-emptively was proven to be true.

So what does crumbs win? His requested final list in one place.

100. Hugo
99. High Rise
98. Anomalisa
97. I Am the Pretty Thing in the House
96. The Nice Guys
95. Mandy
94. A Dangerous Method
93. Carnage
92. The Meyerowitz Stories
91. Roman J. Israel, Esq
90. The Place Beyond the Pines
89. Why Don't You Play In Hell?
88. Django Unchained/The Hateful Eight
87. Margin Call/A Most Violent Year
86. The Babadook
85. Snowpiercer
84. The Forbidden Room
83. Animal Kingdom
82. The Eyes of My Mother
81. Cosmopolis
80. Beyond the Black Rainbow
79. The Death of Stalin
78. Ghost Writer
77. Shame
76. The Wolf of Wall Street
75. A Ghost Story
74. Shutter Island (in B&W)
73. Francis Ha!
72. Hail Caesar!
71. Sicario
70. Scott Pilgrim vs the World
69. Isle of Dogs
68. Blade Runner 2049
67. Pariah
66. Ad Astra
65. Mary Marcy May Marlene
64. To The Wonder
63. The Immigrant
62. Meek's Cutoff
61. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
60. Incendies
59. Hara-Kiri
58. Parasite
57. Drive
56. Gravity
55. Eighth Grade
54. You Were Never Really Here
53. Venus in Fur
52. Certified Copy
51. The Favourite
50. The Blackcoat's Daughter
49. The Assassin
48. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
47. Inherent Vice
46. The Florida Project
45. Kill List
44. High Life
43. Hard To Be A God
42. Nightcrawler
41. Beasts of No Nation
40. Jojo Rabbit
39. The Raid 2
38. Mad Max: Fury Road
37. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
36. The Grand Budapest Hotel
35. Under The Skin
34. Enemy
33. Blue Ruin
32. Burning
31. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
30. Ex Machina
29. Killing Them Softly
28. The Lobster
27. Inside Llewyn Davis
26. Black Swan
25. Birdman
24. The Handmaiden
23. What We Do in the Shadows
22. Embrace of the Serpent
21. The Irishman
20. Take Shelter
19. Upstream Color
18. The Lighthouse
17. The Counselor
16. Holy Motors
15. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
14. The Dance of Reality/Endless Poetry
13. Arrival
12. Phantom Thread
11. Knight of Cups
10. The Other Side of the Wind
9. American Hustle
8. Moonlight
7. Moonrise Kingdom
6. Her
5. The Master
4. Youth
3. Silence
2. Mother!
1. The Tree of Life

I've just seen it, my father cried tears of joy, and everything I said pre-emptively was proven to be true.
Still. Like hitting a 3* with your eyes closed.

*basketball thing

Fine JJ. One of the only good recent superhero movies. I will add these qualifiers.

I’ve seen 80 of your top 100. Sigh. Guess I should get around to the others.

Ah yes, the only good superhero movie.
While I wouldn't have minded seeing a few Superhero movies here (particularly Logan), I'm more concerned about people possibly being dismissive of Spider-Verse because they consider it a "kid's movie":

That being said, until he says otherwise, I'm just going to assume it didn't make Jinn's list because he hasn't seen it yet (but, if that's the case... then see it already, yo!).

While I wouldn't have minded seeing a few Superhero movies here (particularly Logan), I'm more concerned about people possibly being dismissive of Spider-Verse because they consider it a "kid's movie":

That being said, until he says otherwise, I'm just going to assume it didn't make Jinn's list because he hasn't seen it yet (but, if that's the case... then see it already, yo!).
u know they making 2nd movie of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 that release in 2022

Still. Like hitting a 3* with your eyes closed.

*basketball thing

I liked it. It shouldn't have worked considering how raw its emotions were, and how deliberate its pacing and overly composed style was. But it did. I think it managed to pinch just enough Wes Anderson, without being derivative, but delivering an effective storybook aesthetic. But it didn't skimp on the realities of the war, or its effect on all of its characters, most especially (and obviously) Jojo. Ultimately, it felt familiar, but at the same time, very much its own thing.

While I can definitely get why some might not like the movie in general, I was left even more puzzled by those (at least those who've actually seen it) that were up in arms over it supposedly not treating its subject matter appropriately.. While I can see a little bit of its humor bristling the feathers of some (not that humor has any obligation to step around distressing subject matter, but I get not wanting to participate) nothing about its use of empathy seemed misplaced in regards to the Nazis. Using empathy doesn't absolve or normalize Nazism. At all. It's simply pretty much exactly as I stated earlier. Choosing to treat Nazi's as essentially human (because they are) is necessary because this is what is at the core of understanding Nazism. People made this happen. Not factory manufactured villains. People. That's where the true horror lies. Is what can allow us to consider what happened in 1930s/40s Germany as still a present day condition.

And as for Jojo's sympathies, they are never meant to be the audiences. We are meant to see how he has been led astray by the images he has been given of Hitler, which because he is a child, is hardly even Hitler at all. He doesn't truly even understand what he is following, even if he likes to think of himself as a true believer. This is why Waititi's performance is considerably cuddlier than you might expect it to be, and why his darker energies are only hinted at. It's an exaggerration of how a child (or, really, anyone) could misinterpret the character of such a man in the first place. Of how propaganda warps the way we view reality. While having a realistically portrayed Hitler may have been funnier in a number of ways, I think it would completely undermine the point of the film, by making Jojo much too aware of what a malignant person he was following. Because this is a film about how otherwise good people can be led down the kind of road that leads to Nazism. It is not about the ******** who are already more than eager to go that way.

I haven't seen 37 from this list. Pitiful, but honestly, not as bad as it could have been. I've hardly caught up to this millennium after all.

As for lack of superhero films, I obviously approve. While I think something like Spiderverse was actually really good and clever, it's still not the kind of film that actually means anything to me. Being good is hardly a qualifier for relevance in my mind. And, as most know of me by now, it is probably more of a handicap. Too much energy gets wasted being good. Or clever. Rehearsed talent has a nefarious way of shielding the artists soul from view, by taming raw instinct.

I would have minded.*There can be only one.*

I haven't seen 37 from this list. Pitiful, but honestly, not as bad as it could have been. I've hardly caught up to this millennium after all.

As for lack of superhero films, I obviously approve. While I think something like Spiderverse was actually really good and clever, it's still not the kind of film that actually means anything to me. Being good is hardly a qualifier for relevance in my mind. And, as most know of me by now, it is probably more of a handicap. Too much energy gets wasted being good. Or clever. Rehearsed talent has a nefarious way of shielding the artists soul from view, by taming raw instinct.
One could say you're being a nazi about superhero movies.*No wonder you liked Jojo Rabbit so much.*

Victim of The Night
I've only seen 35 of these but that's not a surprise since I mostly prefer to watch older movies.

Only seen 32 off the list. But have seen 42 others from that decade. Now, 74 looks more respectful.

Boyhood
Shoplifters
La La Land
Four Lions
Zero Dark Thirty
Widows
Sicario
The Martian
Spotlight
Logan Lucky
Guardians of the Galaxy
Amy
Baby Driver
Stan & Ollie
True Grit
Whiplash
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Room
Fighting With My Family
Shaun the Sheep movie
The Shape of Water
Manchester by the Sea
Rocketman
A Quiet Place
The Big Sick
Looper
BlacKKKlansman
Dallas Buyers Club
Booksmart
Ford vs Ferrari
Hell or High Water
Logan
Get Out
Bridge of Spies
Dunkirk
Captain Phillips
Free Solo
Carol
Eye in the Sky
Knives Out
Crazy Rich Asians
Creed

Well, while you could say that Spider-Verse may lack the genre deconstruction of a Logan, or the social commentary of a Black Panther, I was still highly entertained by its action, sense of humor, and the way it found a way to put fresh spin(s) on an old, tired story, which, in addition to its amazing animation, is probably enough to make it my favorite Superhero movie of the entire 2010's, since it's not every day (or even every month) I see a film that leaves that kind of impression:

A system of cells interlinked
13. Arrival (2016, dir. Denis Villenueve)

In a decade that saw a lot of high concept/big twist studio sci-fi releases, this may be the only one that mattered. Villenueve's touch is nearly immaculate here, Bradford Young's cinematography soars, Amy Adams is at her best, and, most crucially, both the concept and the twist aren't convoluted to overly impress. The concept is a clever linguistic puzzle concerning a plausible method of extraterrestrial communication (although similar to Contact). The twist isn't designed to blow your mind but does the rare thing that virtually no big twist can manage - actually enhance the emotional resonance of the film (and reveal its poetic structure on rewatch).
This x 1,000,000.

My wife and I went to see this with another couple, who are sort of your super sweet normie types, who casually watch films but never return for a re-watch to ponder the meanings behind them. Going in, the only thing any of us knew was that the film concerned aliens. As the film unspooled in its measured way, I could tell the other couple was growing restless. When were the giant ships going to unleash death rays on the White House? When was Will Smith going to show up? When does the battle start? By the time the film reached the twist, these people were ready to go. The wife had purse in hand and husband had his snack trash ready for the receptacle.

Meanwhile, my wife and I were both in tears, having been completely disarmed by the absolutely brilliant way Arrival uses Hitchcockian audience manipulation to deftly nudge the viewer into creating a chronological order of events in our mind, only to have the rug pulled out from under them us the end of the film as we realize what has actually happened. This was deeply affecting to both of us, and my wife quietly asked that we remain in our seats until she could collect herself before venturing back out into the lobby. The other couple was gobsmacked, and immediately jumped to the conclusion that my wife was upset about something completely unrelated to the film. In their haste to get through the movie and leave, they had somehow missed the twist entirely, not understanding the significance of the final scenes. When we got back to the car and asked if they liked it, they just said "It wasn't what I/we expected," and didn't have much else to say about it, even after my attempts to explain the ending. "Well, I would never sit through that again. Nothing happens in that movie."

Each to his or her own, of course. My wife and I have seen it multiple times now, and the impact of those final moments is still as potent as ever.

Forget somethin', fella?
Where I put my rock salt?