Halloween (2018) - Retconning to the Nth Degree?

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
I laughed my ass off when I saw the trailer for this flick (release 10/19/18) mostly because it looks like a new draft of the H20: Twenty Years Later script. Plot seems too similar, especially with JLC looking like an old woman, unlike H20 where it made sense both in real time and in the script (as it was twenty years later, 1978-1998, guess Michael's been away for a long time).

Let's get the facts:

Halloween: H20 retconned the Jamie Lloyd/niece storyline that occupied movies 4-6 due to reportedly the real-life death of Donald Pleasance and script changes to #6 also due to it. In H20...

WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
Laurie beheads Michael with a ****ing axe, finally stopping the hunt that we last saw in Halloween 2.

Can't quite say if #2 was taken as canon in H20, as it wasn't mentioned much. H20 I own in my collection, but I don't think was very popular overall. Popcorn flicky, some of the same themes as the original. Some nice memorable moments, IMO.

Next:

Halloween: Resurrection retcons H20. How, you ask?

WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
Oh, that wasn't Michael who lost his head. It was some security guard (IIRC) whose throat Michael crushed (lol) so as not to be able to speak when Laurie is about to chop his head off. Originally, it just appeared as more silence from Michael (his shtick). In the opening sequence, it's Laurie this time (traumatized and institutionalized due to killing an innocent man, charged with murder and convicted IIRC) that bites the dust, stabbed by that notorious knife and launched into the air.

A horror house gimmick follows, with Sensei Busta Rhymes Cobra-Kai'ing Michael's ass.

Trick or treat, mutha...Stupid fun after a semi-serious start. Cue the un-killable monster ending that threw this franchise off the tracks.

And then we get... ♪ yeah, mother******♪ in the form of Rob Zombie's two hit-and-miss reboot entries. I like them, but I have a light urge to chop them all into one total movie and eliminate the stupid kills. I liked the reprise of the doctor/patient focus and the classic story being redone. Zombie's symbolism sailed over people's heads mostly I think, with #2 being a bit off.

Then finally, we get Halloween (2018), again. Who knows what's gonna happen this time, if anything, with any finality.

It just cracks me up so much that I had to make this thread...

It's curious to me that JLC would come back again after already having done H20 and Resurrection. Here's the trailer for the new one:

Found the perfect comment:

Beyond Tubular

"Halloween: the remake of the remake that remakes the remake"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
With the talent behind this one, John Carpenter is back, I'm actually excited for it. H20 was decent but Resurrection was trash. I'll take a fresh spin on an old horror icon than another remake of Spiderman any day.

Suspect's Reviews

I think this is gonna be a good one and I also think this is a good opportunity to close the Halloween franchise on a good note. By doing this is killing Michael Myers for good, this series has been diving into a hot mess so no need to do it again. I like the Halloween series but I think it's time they close it and move on.

I think this is gonna be a good one and I also think this is a good opportunity to close the Halloween franchise on a good note. By doing this is killing Michael Myers for good, this series has been diving into a hot mess so no need to do it again. I like the Halloween series but I think it's time they close it and move on.
Hopefully. Too few franchises get a good close.

With the talent behind this one, John Carpenter is back, I'm actually excited for it. H20 was decent but Resurrection was trash. I'll take a fresh spin on an old horror icon than another remake of Spiderman any day.
I'm rooting for it. I wonder if Resurrection never happened whether most people would've been content with H20's ending.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm rooting for it. I wonder if Resurrection never happened whether most people would've been content with H20's ending.
I would have....the explanation they give in Resurrection is just ridiculous.

Welcome to the human race...
He's listed as being six years old during the 1963 prologue of the original film, which would mean he was born in 1957 and thus be 61 years old in the new film.

Saw it yesterday. I came out of the theater not hating it (about as much as I can ever say about new horror movies these days), and the longer I think about it, the better I like it. While it wasn't saturated with tension like the original (just try duplicating THAT!), it had some good kills, some decent suspense, some properly respectful nods to the original, and some tasty variations on the theme (Carpenter scored this one himself).

And according to this one, only the original happened. So we now have three distinct storylines to choose from: Parts 1 through 6 (excluding Part 3, of course), Parts 1 and 2 and H2O (season with or without Resurrection to taste), and now Part 1 and the new one. (These options, of course, refuse to officially recognize Rob Zombie's right to exist.) Personally, although I think it's cool that Parts 4 and 5 were shot in my old neighborhood, I'm wavering between the last two choices. I'm sure I'll at least buy the new one when the DVD comes out.

Whoops! I hadn't heard about it before, but apparently there's an alternative version of Part 6 that takes the plot in yet another direction. So I guess it's now four choices (or at least 3-1/2?).

Whoops! I hadn't heard about it before, but apparently there's an alternative version of Part 6 that takes the plot in yet another direction. So I guess it's now four choices (or at least 3-1/2?).
Oh, yeah, bro. It's arguably a lot cooler. I heard that when Donald Pleasance died (RIP), it had to be changed. It involved the Thorn |> cult and was going to be central theme of the next movie too, but again, without Pleasance it would've been awkward. But yeah, it severely changes Michael's origin/mythos big-time!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallow...rnate_versions
https://halloweenmovie.fandom.com/wiki/Thorn
https://halloweenmovie.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:8804

WARNING: "Spoiler! (If you haven't seen #6)" spoilers below
In the original script, rumor has it that the scream by Loomis means that the Thorn symbol has appeared on his hand, i.e. he is now Michael's protector
whereas it is meant to otherwise imply that
WARNING: "Spoiler! (If you haven't seen #6)" spoilers below
Michael kills Loomis.
If you watch #6 again, like I did after reading about the changed script, it definitely has remains of other plot elements so it feels quite muddled.

By the way, your Rob Zombie joke was hilarious! I had to tell my wife, ha-ha.

Now what happens? I heard how this movie ends, and
WARNING: "Spoiler!" spoilers below
it just oozes sequel bait.

Update: I just learned that in 2013, the studio allowed a screening of the "cult favorite" producer's cut of the film, which features the Thorn-centric original script and ending and then in 2014, an official studio Blu-Ray release was done. That is cool as hell! I just looked it up and Amazon has it for $6. Easy buy for me, after reading a review by a fellow advocate of the alternate cut describing how it plays and compares to watching the theatrical release. Shame we'll probably never get that #7, but it'll fit nicely on my shelf next to #4 & #5. It finalizes the cliffhanger in #5.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1