R.I.P ''The American Dream'' Dusty Rhodes

Tools    

One great WWE Legend just past away at the age of 69!!!

You will be missed

Watched him a lot here in Pensacola way back when. Him and Rick Flair and Ox Baker among others. RIP.

The American Dream Dusty Rhodes, that is! Damn this one hurts, and though he died by non-scandalous causes, and was up in years....well it still came as a shock.

Yesterday emergency personnel responded to Rhodes' home in Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday morning after getting a call reporting he had taken a fall. Rhodes was then transported to a nearby hospital where he eventually died.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/dusty-rhodes-passes-away

Until Hulk Hogan hit it big, Dusty Rhodes was the most popular professional wrestler alive. Heres a post I wrote once about him

Ok enough of that. Before I tell the story just listen to what Dusty Rhodes voice was like. It'll help.

Ill try and compose some stuff on Randy Savage (Randy Poffo) later for JustinJ, but I first want to tell a hilarious story I heard from Brian Blair on a Wrestling Observer Live broadcast 11 or so years ago. Blair wrestled for the WWF with Jim Brunzell in a tag-team called The Killer Bees in the mid 80's. Long before that in the mid 70's he worked for Florida Championship Wrestling and the booker was "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Back then there were no drunk driving laws.

So they were doing shows throughout florida, and would often do 2 shows in one day in 2 different towns. This was the NWA era, and FCW had Andre The Giant in their territory for a 3 or 4 month shot. So Blair is driving, Dustry is riding shotgun, and Andre is taking up the entire backseat with 2 styrofoam water coolers on his right and left. The cooler on Andres left was full of ice & beer, and on his right was a beer bottles full of piss because they wouldnt stop. They had to make a night show.

Blair described the highways back then in florida as unending inky blackness, there were no highway lights. Rhodes was freaking out how they had to make the 2nd show on time, and Blair said he was doing around 100 mph. Suddenly a deer came bounding out across the road, and Blair swerved hard to miss it. The screech of the tires were so loud they couldve been heard for miles, the car itself would have and should have flipped except Andre was 500+ lbs, Rhodes 275, and BB 240. What did happen though is the beer cooler from the backseat came crashing onto Blair, but he heard this high pitched sounding hysteria coming from Dusty next to him as the cooler full of pee bottles crashed onto him. "Im covered in piss! Oh BB ill have you job (lose) for a year! The Dreams covered in piss!". Then Blair heard the "HA! HA! HA!...." roar of laughter coming from Andre in the backseat.

So a week or so later its the same scenario, Blairs driving like a madman to get to their night show, Dustys shotgun, and Andre is in the back with the beer cooler. No pee cooler though due to the accident the week before. Well they all had to piss badly, and Blair pulled over as the 3 went away from the road towards some trees they knew were there but couldnt see as it was pitch black out.

Blair has his hands out trying to feel for something and gets a big tree trunk. He sighs, zips and does his business. He's bout scared out of his wits as he hears a high pitched scream right next to him "Who's pissing on my leg?! Two times in one week! Someones pissing on the Dream!" It was so black out Blair didnt know his stream was hitting Rhodes, and then they heard Andres monumental "HA! HA! HA!..." coming from the woods.
Heres a personal story of when I saw Dusty Rhodes for the first time live. On my 10th birthday my Mom & Dad took me to see Dusty Rhodes vs Jos Leduc "The Canadian Strongman". Guys back looked like a carpet.

It was 1979, and kayfabe was in effect (audience believed it all to be real)

The Rhodes story was a midcard match that night. The bad guys were putting the boots to Mike Graham in the ring. He's all helpless and getting stomped, and then suddenly (I swear on all I hold dear Im not making even one word of this up) Dusty comes barreling out from the back, sopping wet with no boots or kneepads on only wearing his black trunks and theres shampoo like soap in his hair, like he jumped out the shower to rescue Graham!

The whole place pops as Rhodes charges down the aisle. You have to understand at this time Dusty Rhodes was the most popular pro-wrestler in the WORLD. This was before Hulk Hogan, and in Florida where he got big, Rhodes was like a god. Hes running at a sprint, and then suddenly this huge black woman leapt literally like two rows screaming "Oh my god I love you Dusty oh my lawd!" and bout tackled Rhodes clinging and kissing on him. He couldnt shake her, she was big, and security couldnt break her off him either as shes hysterically smooching on him. In the ring the bad guys had to keep putting the boots to Graham for much longer than was planned, but told Mike Graham what was happning, and all three were busting up laughing while doing the stomping bit.

Eventually they pried her off him, and Dusty got to the ring to do the big soapy rescue spot. Beats on both bad guys by himself, soap flying everywhere, and his wet fatness flying about delivering those "bionic elbows". Tampa was loving life at that moment as the cheering shook the arena. So he just gets a towel, dries off in ring, puts his boots and kneepads on, and does some talk on the mic as hes taping his wrists for the main event. I wish I could tell you what he said, but I just dont remember.

LeDuc comes out and they had their match. One of those bad guys from earlier that he beat on came in when Rhodes looked like he was gonna win, and brains him with a metal folding chair. Then LeDuc carries the unconscous Rhodes to the four corners to win the match. The audience was screaming and hating, security was prepared and unyielding. Nobody would leave the auditorum even though the match was over. They had to wait to see if he was ok! Long after LeDuc and the bad guy leave, Dusty eventually rose to his feet many minutes later, blood from forehead dripping, and raised his arms to the roaring adoring crowd. Everyone got to go home happy.

RIP Dream

Sci-Fi Slob, is that you? Have you finally died?

I shouldn't have said that in case of the Sexy Curse.... down, Sexy Curse, down. Don't take my Sci-Fi Slob.

Watched him a lot here in Pensacola way back when. Him and Rick Flair and Ox Baker among others. RIP.
Same here, but in Tampa Bay area. When I was little Ox Baker literally scared me just by looking at him.

Great Story Tongo!

Dusty Rhodes was before my time (I grew up with the Attitude era) but I definitely knew about him and respected him for being one of the legends of the business.

R.I.P

Master of My Domain
At first I didn't read this thread carefully and only thought it was about "The American Dream" and not Rhodes, which of course died over 40 years ago.

Sad to see another great person go. R.I.P.

I hadnt heard he died till a day after they'd already announced it. In all honesty the only worker that I marked out for like I did for Dusty as a kid, was Stone Cold Steve Austin. I have other favorites, others I even respect more, but as a fan none reached me like those 2 did.

Sci-Fi Slob, is that you? Have you finally died?

I shouldn't have said that in case of the Sexy Curse.... down, Sexy Curse, down. Don't take my Sci-Fi Slob.
I guess the Sexy Curse DID take my Sci-Fi Slob. In a way.