The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
All things considered, coulda been worse
No idea if it's reversible either. What a strange game it is.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
You can imagine the amount of programming it must take to make EVERY SINGLE NPC a randomized unique person. And also, there are many similar people in the world in terms of occupation and story, so it's not too farfetched to think some people are the same in those ways.

If they'd done a template for, say, working class white males, middle class black females etc then it'd make sense but the only thing the npcs had in common (apart from the hooker) was age. I'm sure the way Watch Dogs does things is no different to any other open world game but aren't we supposed to be taking things to the next level and walking around seeing little windows into people's lives? I'd originally figured that the reason the game asks so much of a PC is that the world being rendered was somehow more complex, more 'real'.

AMD have just released new Watch Dogs ready drivers (Chris, I think the latest Nvidia Beta drivers were made for Watch Dogs so it might be worth installing those if you haven't already) and I'm noticing a much smoother experience. No massive jumps in performance (and my PC still sounds like a jet taking off when playing) but I can now run everything on High with no stuttering.

I did the Nvidia thing last night, though the "Optimize" feature seemed to work for all but two games--and whaddya know, one of them was Watch Dogs. Looks like I might have to open the game to get that to happen for some reason. But I'll definitely check that out again when I get home. Thanks!

I did a few online missions, mostly the hacking ones, which is hilarious when you encounter a particularly clueless player who doesn't understand how to find somebody. I had one guy actually run from me because he thought I was trying to kill him. So he kept running like a loser while I siphoned his phone of any and all goodies

Yeah, I'm guessing the online stuff (connecting to it) is easier on consoles at the minute. Uplay is buckling under the strain and more often than not doesn't work so we're reduced to offline mode.

I left Yoda a gift at one of those hot spots. I guess it's like geocaching?

A system of cells interlinked
@Golgot - Just get back in the Coffin on the beach to change your character gender.

Also, I noticed you are heading for the flame tower, which is indeed one of the first open ways you can take, but I found Forest of Fallen Giants to be the better zone to cut my teeth on. Both ways are just fine, though. It's also a good example of the complex level design DS games can have, while Flame Tower is...not.

Meanwhile, Drangleic Castle is a beating!

Watch Dogs is awesome. I have been free roaming mostly which is really addictive in this game. I just came upon the first act while doing so. I don't know why people dis the game, it's kick ass. I went to the midnight release which was cool. Watch Dogs I believe is going to be a cult classic. Nothing like GTA V, which you can't even compare whatsoever but a classic in a sense.

I honestly feel bad for the PC crowd, since I'm hearing a lot about how poorly optimized the game is, as well as the login issues the game seems to be having. None of these issues seem to be affecting the console versions, however. Either way, at this point, I'd give Watch Dogs a solid and well-thought out 9/10. Some issues with the driving, the online mode not being that entertaining, and the rather (purposefully, I believe) unsatisfying gunplay, this is one hell of a new IP to look out for. Yeah, it could use some improvements, but if this is the template to build off, I can only imagine the greatness that Watch Dogs 2 could be. I've yet to finish the game, but I believe I'll continue to be entertained well into the ending.

Watch Dogs is awesome. I have been free roaming mostly which is really addictive in this game. I just came upon the first act while doing so. I don't know why people dis the game, it's kick ass. I went to the midnight release which was cool. Watch Dogs I believe is going to be a cult classic. Nothing like GTA V, which you can't even compare whatsoever but a classic in a sense.
This ^

So far, here's a list of every pro and con that I've found with Watch Dogs.

Pros:

- Subtle and engaging character-driven story
- Aiden Pearce is a likeable guy
- Unique cast of side characters, both relatable and entertaining
- Beautifully crafted Chicago with great visual quality
- Realistic yet tight controls
- Hacking brings unprecedented interactivity
- Allows for mostly non-linear mission progression with multiple ways to approach
- Enemy AI is highly intelligent on any difficulty level
- Abundance of side content
- Lets you learn as you play
- Stealth is solidly done and hacking makes it even more fun and engaging
- Chase sequences are intense and strategic
- Reading NPC descriptions is random and sometimes hilarious
- Mini games are ridiculous, yet addictive and fun
- Online hacking is tense and a great change of pace
- Great amount of customization options
- Doesn’t try to emulate any other sandbox game too closely, has own identity
- Provides great “figure it out yourself” type of social commentary on data mining, surveillance, privacy invasion, electronic safety and increasing corporate control
- Moral compass dictated by the player, not an arbitrary good/evil meter

Cons:

- Whether intentional or not, regular gunplay feels stale and unsatisfying
- Control scheme takes some getting used to
- Slippery vehicle controls
- Cops and enemies are aggressive to the point of being psychotic
- A bit too easy to obtain money
- “Alone” mini game is weak and boring
- Story premise is trite and almost typical of Ubisoft
- Some skill perks feel unnecessary and could’ve used more thought
- Occasional glitches

I wouldn't feel too sorry for the PC crowd. I'm still able to play the game at a higher resolution and faster framerate than even the PS4. If I didn't own such a notoriously noisy graphics card I'd not even pick up on the excessive load that it puts on my system. Earplugs are cool.

Played for a few more hours yesterday (and got into some online matches with people who's connection mysteriously dropped after I beat them) and my opinion hasn't changed. It's a solid, unspectacular game which doesn't do anything badly apart from AI, if I'm being pedantic, but I can see why they felt the need to have such a shift between the behaviour of npcs in free-roaming and on missions.

It just isn't remotely original.

Even the hacking stuff is kinda facile - Npcs are a vessel for farming cash, components and side missions so they're even more passive than pickpocketees in stealth games. Using cameras to get to security terminals which are out of site is fun the first few times but you soon work out that it's the only way you can get to them - There's one route to your goal and one route only.

What I do like is using your environment during chases - LA Noire got pretty boring if you couldn't catch your prey after a few corners.

Big props also for having an in-car view for driving. It may be blurry but at least it's there. Hear that Sleeping Dogs? You don't even have a bonnet cam.

I'm enjoying the game enough that I'll finish it, and I couldn't say that about any Assassin's Creed title since II but I doubt I'll be revisiting it a few years down the line.

Talking about revisiting things, I see that Thief's had a sizeable patch. Wonder if it actually fixes the game's problems though?

there's a frog in my snake oil
@Golgot - Just get back in the Coffin on the beach to change your character gender.

Also, I noticed you are heading for the flame tower, which is indeed one of the first open ways you can take, but I found Forest of Fallen Giants to be the better zone to cut my teeth on. Both ways are just fine, though. It's also a good example of the complex level design DS games can have, while Flame Tower is...not.
Cool figured as much, but at the time I was so hollowed it made no visual difference. Happy to stay a lass now tho as a transformative episode. Lord knows what wifey from the opening cinematic would think tho

Yeah I fancy the forest but couldn't figure the statue on first peek. Also got a touch peeved at the parkour opportunities on the way back. With so many invitations to explore its a shame you cant seem to leap onto apparently accessible stuff. The smith's shack has a window that looks blatantly scaleable too. That'd be about my only complaint so far tho

And now I see the wee wickermen restore allll your humanity, not just one death's worth as I assumed, I'm letting myself be more cavalier again

I'm thinking it's gonna come down to Destiny as the premiere game for this year. I'm hoping Dragon Age: Inquisition and the new Call of Duty will be excellent, but Destiny seems like Game of the Year material so far. At this point, for me, it's Watch Dogs, but the year isn't over yet.

This year's been very slow for games, so far. The one I've put most time into has been Dark Souls 2 but I bet I'm going to get to a point where I say '**** this, replaying that corridor 20 times is enough' and not play it for a year.

Otherwise, I've loved One Finger Death Punch (although that was a 2013 release on Xbox Live, I think), Broforce, Luftrausers and The Banner Saga. Nothing AAA then, apart from maybe Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls which is technically just an expansion but re-jigs the base game (even if you don't buy ROS, Diablo 3 has been facelifted dramatically) to such an extent that it feels brand new.

With one patch Diablo 3's gone from being an also-ran to my favourite ARPG since Titan Quest. Blizzard have finally made the game we wanted - I deleted all my old characters to run them from the start again because I was having so much fun with the new combat/spells/loot etc.

I am sure I came across the game "DayZ" a few months ago and just never got round to playing it or getting to know it. I have now downloaded and been playing it on and off today. If you have never played it it is a MMORPG involving the zombie's set in an area that you know nothing about (though it reminds me of the beech area of City 17 from Half Life 2). You have the clothes on your back and that is it, no really.

The thing is the zombies are not really the threat of the game but other people, zombies almost seem courtious. I have come across two today, one that chased me down the road and another than just stood looking at me blankly as if it wanted me to spare it some change before I punched it in the face, cos, well, you would wouldn't you? I have been killed by people today in a rather evil fashion. I was running through a field trying to get my bearings and something to eat when I got shot by a sniper. I fell down unable to see who shot me and two men came over to me, one assured me he was nice and started to patch me up. Then they both pulled out guns and shot me in the head. Ouch.

As someone said in a intro video; "don't trust someone who has nothing to loose" and they were right. "DayZ" is not a game about being fair but real. If you are unarmed the person you see may not think "this is not a fair fight", they may think "this is an easy fight" so if you happen to come across someone who wants to kill you it is likely you will die. Oh and when you die? There is no save point. You start all over again.

Any other players in here?!

I played it when it was the Arma 2 mod and still really rough around the edges.

My overriding thought while in the game was "People are w@nkers". You're right, the zombies aren't the main threat - They're just a means to corral the players into areas where they're more likely to encounter one another, kill them and steal their tins of baked beans.

There's definitely something compelling to it but I'm going to hold out until the game is finished before parting with money. Then I can crawl around on my belly hating the human race to my hearts content.

A similar game that a lot of people seem to be playing is Rust. Again, it's Early Access and again it's an online PVP sandbox where everyone seems to want to kill you and death is final. There's also crafting...

DayZ appeals to me more, I think.

I did read about "Rust" today also, basically I found both games through this article which I think is a very interesting read:

Why Online Games Make Players Act Like Psychopaths

Now I am not convinced games like this or indeed any games turn people into anything, I have always been of the opinion that if you go into a game like this and take pleasure from it there is a possibility you may not have been of entire sane mind to begin with.

I think what got me interested in this to begin with was "The Last of Us" which I hold up as one of the greatest games ever made and also having seen "Dying Light" it is basically the reason I will be buying a next gen console.