Another Heavy Metal?

Tools    

This may only be of interest to those that think (like me) that the original Heavy Metal was pretty freaking cool, and not just because it was a cartoon with boobs but was also a pretty fun little movie. The second one not so much but the first one, yeah pretty cool indeed. Typically I don't think much of these types of projects but then I saw that David Fincher is involved, if you can dig that. So this may actually be pretty cool.

From Sci-fi wire and Variety:

Paramount Gets Heavy

Paramount Pictures will make an animated film inspired by the '70s SF fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with director David Fincher spearheading the project, Variety reported.

Heavy Metal will be stamped by the erotic and violent storylines and images that remain the trademark of a magazine that debuted in the United States in 1977. The magazine introduced the works of American artists and writers such as Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison and H.R. Giger.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Fincher will direct one of the segments; Kevin Eastman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct another. So will Tim Miller, whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature.

Fincher, Eastman and Miller will produce the film. The studio will lock in the other directors shortly. The magazine previously spawned a 1981 animated feature and 2000 sequel.
Sounds pretty interesting I hopes this develops into something.

Welcome to the human race...
Another Heavy Metal? I'm all for it!

However, from the sounds of it I think it might end up being CGI (didn' Kevin Eastman do the more recent TMNT movie?) Hopefully they can make it work though.

Well, if there is not a humorous robot thing with a dildo hand and a birdy thing that dies, then well, I am out.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, if there is not a humorous robot thing with a dildo hand and a birdy thing that dies, then well, I am out.

If they were doing a shot-for-shot remake of the first movie, then yes. I'm hoping they take it in a different direction but manage to keep the vibe of the magazine/movie.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Another Heavy Metal? I'm all for it!

However, from the sounds of it I think it might end up being CGI (didn' Kevin Eastman do the more recent TMNT movie?) Hopefully they can make it work though.
Kevin Eastman didn't have anything to do with the recent TMNT movie, he sold off his rights to the characters to their co-creator Peter Laird, so that he could focus on Heavy Metal exclusively. Honestly, I don't like the magazine much since he's been the editor, too much focus on T&A and not much on creative storytelling but then oh well. I'd still give the movie a shot cause the first film is one of those great "WTH?!" midnight movies you just don't see anymore.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Any Chance it could be a live-action reboot?

With Barbarella on the sidelines, Robert Rodriquez and Rose McCown are available.

I'm actually quite relieved that this isn't a live-action feature. We are already going to have to deal with an Americanized Akira, the least Hollywood can do is produce a few animated sequels (or at some least remakes in their original format).

I only hope it's comprises of short animated features rather than that awful sequel.

I have no problem if some of the shorts are live-action or uses rotoscopy, as long as they find a way to link the stories like the first one did.

Another Heavy Metal? Can't wait. The original was classic with a kick-ass soundtrack.

My favorite part was when the hot chick beheads those guys in the bar towards the end.

Man, I haven't seen Heavy Metal in over 20 years. Hell, I don't even own it. Wonder if it's available in Blu Ray? I'll have to get the original on Amazon.

Wow. Forgot all about this. So apparently Fincher is no longer involved and now Robert Rodriguiez is? Uh, cool! Not only that but it says here, that you can submit your own story idea for the movie? Nice!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
This is one of those films that won't ever get made. People really love the original (like myself), and would love to see another one, and some of those people are in a position to try to do it, but in the end we don't have nearly the same freedom of filmmaking we did when the first one was out. When was the last time anyone made an animated film for adults in America? You can't, because the Frozen's of the world make a ton of cash, so that's what gets made. Plus, after Machete Kills, I'm not really loving Rodriguez much these days...LOL.

That said...I would LOVE to see this, maybe by someone else. Insanely so.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/