Chick Flicks That suprised you

Tools    

I watched "A Little Bit Of Heaven" last night, its labelled as a RomCom, but it actually suprised me a fair bit. Yeah it was still your typical Man and woman fall in love with your laughs in it, but it was much deeper than that. I thought anyway, and it was a little tragic att he same time.

Others that suprised me where the likes of the Breakfast Club, Breakfast at Tiffanys and Sixteen Candles, they all just seem more than chick flicky to me personally.

How about you guys? Any chick Flicks actually shock you and come out of that typical story line. Or any films in general that you thought would be your basic typical plot but managed to put a little bit more of a spin on it.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I've never seen a chick flick that's been more complex than just a regular type romantic comedy, but I love both Notting Hill and Love Actually, probably because I really like Hugh Grant. He's usually good, for me at least, in everything he's in (his slime ball turn in Bridget Jones is the highlight of an already wonderful film).

I don't see Breakfast Club as a chick flick in any way whatsoever?
It's a teen film, that's it! not a RomCom or a Chick Flick.

The ones that I like are:- 10 things I hate about you & Sister Act.

& oh ya like Tyler said, Hugh Grant is always fun to watch, especially when he play a Sarcastic Snob.
Music & Lyrics was also a fun watch.

I've never seen a chick flick that's been more complex than just a regular type romantic comedy
There are some nice ones, that went beyond just the romantic comedy framework making it classics.
Roman Holiday, Chasing Amy, The Apartment, Most Disney animated films, Some like it hot

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I have to admit to having a massive soft spot for romantic comedies so there are very few that surprise me as I know there is always a chance I'll like them. So chick flicks I like/love include You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Miss Congeniality, While You Were Sleeping, Overboard, anything with Drew Barrymore really (Never Been Kissed, 50 First Dates, Music & Lyrics, Wedding Singer), Ghost, Brief Encounter, What Women Want, 10 Things I Hate About You, Doc Hollywood, Mean Girls and on and on and on.

In terms of surprises I think I'd probably go with 13 Going on 30, which surprised me with just how much I liked it. Just thought the film, and Garner, were adorable

I absolutely love It Happened One Night.

As for more modern stuff, I was not totally in loathe with Going the Distance.

The break up was pretty good in the fact that you never find out if they ever get back together.

The breakfast club can be deemed as chick flick seeing as near the end they kinda pair up relationship wise. And it has a lot of comedy value in it. Thus, chick flick romcom in my opinion.

Easy A is one of my faves too, I quite like Emma Stone.

The breakfast club can be deemed as chick flick seeing as near the end they kinda pair up relationship wise. And it has a lot of comedy value in it. Thus, chick flick romcom in my opinion.

The Break-Up was surprisingly good.
Anyone remember Matthew Perry's Fools Rush In (co-starring Salma Hayek), I like that film.

Comedy + romantic subplot does not a chick flick make.

They need to be nearly strictly romance, ultra-formulaic, and follow the kind of romantic ideals that you hear people talking about who haven't yet been ruined by how disappointing life is.

As far as RomCom's, nothing gets better than (500) Days of Summer. I really don't like classifying films as chick flicks, though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You guys know I'm weird, but I've never used the term "chick flick", and if I did, it would probably be for something like The Notebook.

Oh man. Pass Dirty Dancing so hard.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I liked Joy Luck Club, and even got weepy at the end (but I was sitting on a tack, so I'm not sure if that was it...)

My favorite surprise is Little Black Book. I can't recall the exact details, but current girlfriend finds current boyfriend's little black book when he's out of town on a trip and she checks out all his past girlfriends. She discovers he's already met the woman of his life and broken up with her. At the end of the film, she steps aside so they can get back together again. Never seen that plot before.

Pass Brittany Murphy so hard.

(with respect to RIP and such)