Pets

Tools    

Well, just brought in a stray. The local shelter sounds like they technically can take it in but they're not sure if they're considered essential, so they're going day-to-day. I might have friends and family who want it, though, so that's the first option. Otherwise, they asked us to hang onto it until Tuesday and call back, which is the plan for now.

Sweet little thing!

Yeah, I was really struck by his appearance when I first ran into him! So bright, the tail is a little fluffy but wonderfully (and pretty evenly) striped. And while it's clearly not totally domesticated, it's not feral, either. Seems like it's maybe six or seven months old, temperament seems consistent with "not really owned/domesticated, but probably has had some human contact and is occasionally a little taken care of." It seemed way more anxious to see me today than it did a few days ago, when I tried to lure it with treats. Let me get much closer, close enough to make my move. Makes me think it's a little more desperate now than it was then.

My sisters might be taking it, we'll see. It seems pretty sweet, especially if we posit it doesn't have a consistent owner. I think it's young enough it'll make a good cat if someone takes it in.

OMG, the same color as the one I trapped this week. Is yours male (most orange cats are)? Is he fixed? He doesn’t have an ear tip so no TNR has taken place.

Our shelter is full so my orange kitty will have to board (it’s free) at the vet until shelter opens up. Not ideal by any means, but better than roaming the streets with nothing in her belly.

Keep us posted on yours & thanks for caring. It’s not the first time.

Didn't get to examine him enough to be sure of whether he's fixed, or even which sex he is. I've been saying he out of habit, probably because all three of my animals are male.

That said, he warmed up quickly by the evening. He sat closer to the edge of the cage which let me reach in and rub his head with my fingers, and he really liked that. So much that at some point I tried to go from petting his head to petting his side and he shoved his head back under my hand. He's acting like he's never been petted before, or at least isn't petted much. Totally hooked.

He's meowing now in the other room. One of my sisters is on the way, they're going to try to take him. Worst-case scenario they just have to find a shelter, same as I did, and with no other animals (they recently had to put their dog down) they're equipped to take care of him pretty well. All the little things you have to do with a new animal to monitor them and be around them a lot would be difficult or tedious during a normal time, but are just fine and probably a fun distraction when you're stuck inside all day.

Sister came and got him, and was easily able to pick up supplies on the way over, no shortages there. She got him home and he's hiding behind a warm radiator while he gets used to the new surroundings:

I love yellow cats.
I've had, since I can remember, three around the house, the old king is dead now, two years.
The substitute is taking his father's footsteps, he left a year ago, probably will come back years to come, very old like his father.
I now have a female. The yellow ones have strong a personality, very charismatic, very active, very brave.

Yeah, it's a pretty color. It's not obvious from that picture but from the earlier ones he's pretty orange. It's striking in person. His tail is so bright!

So nice to get a little "win" in the midst of all this. The whole thing went about as well as I'd hoped, and it's a scary prospect at first because it's easy to get invested, and if it goes wrong somehow it's all the more demoralizing. But it didn't.

Dammit, I was about to post in here as well and Yods gets there first.

My budgie is 11 today...

... and he's still going strong... obsessed with talking to the door frame... biting me and flying away then congratulating himself in the mirror... headbutting his toys and saying "bash!"... asking for food and water constantly even though they've just been filled... and standing on the side of his bowl of water and dunking his head in it causing him to sneeze, instead of actually getting in it and bathing properly.

Bugger won't keep still when there's a camera around so took a couple.

Flash On:

Flash Off:

Wowser, didn't take him long to settle did it

So glad to see this. Do we have a determination of gender? Name?
Possibly 'Squish' if he manages to perfect the art of blending into that sofa

Cat's doing great in it's new home, apparently:

Great news. Presumably he will have a vet visit soon? Besides getting fixed, he will need shots & also bloodwork to make sure he is healthy. Maybe they’ll name him “Chris”.

I haven't asked. Probably before too long. Sounds like local vets are, while not overwhelmed, definitely having a tough time, and the Governor's issuing a stay-at-home order today, lasting two weeks.

Small mercy that the cat seems very alert and healthy. Would be a really rough situation to take in a clearly sick or injured stray (which has happened here in the past) in a situation where treatment were not immediately available.

Last picture, really settled in now:

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
that cat wearing a cape?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear