Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I actually would've preferred Wenger at the helm
Interesting – I was thinking about that today; which one Spurs fans would have preferred. It's quite a turn up, and naïve of me to assume that Mourinho wouldn't manage another London club .

I actually would've preferred Wenger at the helm
Interesting – I was thinking about that today; which one Spurs fans would have preferred. It's quite a turn up, and naïve of me to assume that Mourinho wouldn't manage another London club .
I don't think there's anyone suitable available right now, they should've at least given Poch until the end of the season, he deserved a little bit more respect. I know results have been awful, some of them downright ridiculous, but giving him the sack??? When Madrid or United were apparently sniffing around according to the media, he was focused on us, I just think he deserved better treatment during a rocky patch.
Hopefully I'm proved wrong about Jose, the Chelsea supporters I speak to are enjoying their football more now than when they were winning titles, the United supporters are a bit of a different story but I'm not looking forward to what's coming

This kinda reminds me of when we sacked Rafa after one poor season and because the players stopped responding to him. And then we replaced him with Woy, who undid all of Rafa's good work with first team and even the academy, so much so that it took us multiple years to become UCL regulars again.

Now, Mourinho is exponentially superior to Woy, but he is completely opposite to what Pochettino has built at Spurs - and Pochettino did an amazing job at Spurs with the budget constraints.

Sure Mourinho might win trophies - cup competitions only as I can't see him competing for league soon - but I wonder what kind of long term damage he causes to the club with his preference for older players.

I can also understand Spurs fans being uncomfortable seeing a former Chelsea manager - and a highly unlikeable man - managing their beloved club.

On a side note, I totally expect him to have a say in the title race though. The man still hasn't got over the ghost goal, and is always up against us. I can totally imagine us losing against Spurs . I know I shouldn't be laughing.

Also, on another side note, the executives at Amazon must be wanking with joy, because this is great for the documentary that is being currently shot.

I only found out that Poch had been sacked this morning. That was shocking enough, but for Mou to be put in so quickly is just as surprising to me. I know that there have been rumours of Levy sniffing around Mou for a couple of weeks, but I really didn't think it'd happen like this.

I think Levy has got this wrong. I can understand the thinking of Poch coming to the end of a cycle with Spurs and the players not working for him as they did. So you get a 'proven winner' in to get the most out of this squad. This is exactly what I wanted United to do when Fergie left for similar reasons. The results for this year are appalling, a lot of it hasn't been picked up on because United are so bad, but United are doing better than Spurs. and a manager without his history at the club could expect to go for that alone.

What I don't see how sacking him. rather than a mutual consent declaration or at the end of the season,helps with the fans or the players?

There's obviously a lot of unrest at the club with four first team players running down their contracts and a team of superstars earning a lot less than they could elsewhere. The common wisdom of the last few years has been that the players were there for Poch and that if he left the exodus would start. I guess we'll find out over the next 6 months or so.

Question for Spurs fans. Mou does win silverware, but after a CL final and the top 4 finishes of recent seasons, would a Community Shield (which I know most of us don't count, but he does. And we (United) won it for finishing second) the Europa League and the League Cup be the kind of silverware they desire? For the vast majority of my life that little lot would be a lifetime dream for a Spurs fan, but now they've had more than a glimpse of the top echelon, are trophies of that level enough?

The thing I really don't get with this though is that Mou needs money. We know that. He knows that. Spurs know that. Now, has he told them, I'm bigger than you, but this is the biggest club job I'm probably going to be able to get for a while, so I'll rebuild my reputation here with this team (which got to a CL final and finishes top 4) and one (some) replacements for the leaving players and, in return, I won't ask for a lot of money to rebuld the team? Because otherwise, why not just stick with Poch and give him the money you're going to give Mou?

As for United. For once Ed Woodward, be the ruthless businessman you are meant to be and not the football man you try to be. Get Poch and tell Ole thank you for your time.

EDIT - I forgot to say. The only thing I can think of for the timing of this and the marriage of Spurs and Mou is that this is Levy trying to propel Spurs to the next level as a brand. Mou is bigger than Spurs (I know no one is bigger than the club, but in terms of name recognition worldwide, he is) and, along with the press coverage, the documentary will put Spurs everywhere. Even a team like Sunderland got a bigger profile because of their documentary. This, potentiallly, puts Spurs in every home in the world.

Also, on another side note, the executives at Amazon must be wanking with joy, because this is great for the documentary that is being currently shot.
Didn't think about that, can't wait now lol

I only found out that Poch had been sacked this morning. That was shocking enough, but for Mou to be put in so quickly is just as surprising to me. I know that there have been rumours of Levy sniffing around Mou for a couple of weeks, but I really didn't think it'd happen like this.

I think Levy has got this wrong. I can understand the thinking of Poch coming to the end of a cycle with Spurs and the players not working for him as they did. So you get a 'proven winner' in to get the most out of this squad. This is exactly what I wanted United to do when Fergie left for similar reasons. The results for this year are appalling, a lot of it hasn't been picked up on because United are so bad, but United are doing better than Spurs. and a manager without his history at the club could expect to go for that alone.

What I don't see how sacking him. rather than a mutual consent declaration or at the end of the season,helps with the fans or the players?

There's obviously a lot of unrest at the club with four first team players running down their contracts and a team of superstars earning a lot less than they could elsewhere. The common wisdom of the last few years has been that the players were there for Poch and that if he left the exodus would start. I guess we'll find out over the next 6 months or so.

Question for Spurs fans. Mou does win silverware, but after a CL final and the top 4 finishes of recent seasons, would a Community Shield (which I know most of us don't count, but he does. And we (United) won it for finishing second) the Europa League and the League Cup be the kind of silverware they desire? For the vast majority of my life that little lot would be a lifetime dream for a Spurs fan, but now they've had more than a glimpse of the top echelon, are trophies of that level enough?

The thing I really don't get with this though is that Mou needs money. We know that. He knows that. Spurs know that. Now, has he told them, I'm bigger than you, but this is the biggest club job I'm probably going to be able to get for a while, so I'll rebuild my reputation here with this team (which got to a CL final and finishes top 4) and one (some) replacements for the leaving players and, in return, I won't ask for a lot of money to rebuld the team? Because otherwise, why not just stick with Poch and give him the money you're going to give Mou?

As for United. For once Ed Woodward, be the ruthless businessman you are meant to be and not the football man you try to be. Get Poch and tell Ole thank you for your time.

EDIT - I forgot to say. The only thing I can think of for the timing of this and the marriage of Spurs and Mou is that this is Levy trying to propel Spurs to the next level as a brand. Mou is bigger than Spurs (I know no one is bigger than the club, but in terms of name recognition worldwide, he is) and, along with the press coverage, the documentary will put Spurs everywhere. Even a team like Sunderland got a bigger profile because of their documentary. This, potentiallly, puts Spurs in every home in the world.
Trophies or not, I just don't like his style of play.
Knowing my luck Poch will replace Emery and they'll finish above us every season, he kinda deserves a chance to rub it in Levy's face tbh

I don't think there's anyone suitable available right now, they should've at least given Poch until the end of the season, he deserved a little bit more respect.
Claudio Ranieri springs to mind.

I know results have been awful, some of them downright ridiculous, but giving him the sack??? When Madrid or United were apparently sniffing around according to the media, he was focused on us, I just think he deserved better treatment during a rocky patch.
That repeated attention from top foreign clubs was awkward, and I think the difficulty intensified as time went on because he hadn't managed to achieve the silverware we might have expected. Especially having that fantastic new stadium, the top brass are obviously in the frame of mind where they want titles to match – and if the team's not challenging they're not prepared to wait.

Hopefully I'm proved wrong about Jose, the Chelsea supporters I speak to are enjoying their football more now than when they were winning titles, the United supporters are a bit of a different story but I'm not looking forward to what's coming
I'm really pleased for Frank Lampard first and foremost. It'll be interesting seeing him up against Mourinho.

Mourinho always ends up messing things, when he joins in and when he gets out. I remember that one day before Porto winning the Champions League in 2004, the ultras went into his house to threaten him because of things not even related to football, and they didn’t mess him up because he had the most important game ever to win the next day. I’m sure he will change some things in his new club and can make them reach places they want to reach, but he’ll eventually f*ck up. One thing I’m sure, his no chicken, he have balls, he never joins easy projects, can’t say the same about Pep. He wants to make Spurs the next season winners, and I think he have enough bankroll and human quality in the team, the egos are well controlled, and that’s something essential, I think his not making the same mistake again (Pogba). Mourinho have a difficult personality, and those with the same personality love him, the kids with agents cleaning after them normally end up getting him fired.

I think he’ll make a totally different approach in signing players, he talked about how Spurs support young player and how every coach loves to train them, and I think his considering what he did successfully in the past, he can’t just sign players for insane amounts of cash because those players know they’re a enormous investment for the club and they obviously use that, and his no spineless Klopp, he have to sleep knowing his in control. He always won with what seemed to be less.

The rumour mill is flowing, ENIC have got Mourinho in with a view to selling the club, apparently his name ups the appeal. As soon as they qualify for the next CL round, expect some news on it.
Makes sense to me tbh

Hmmmmmm, plays better football but it's still too old school for me
No, I meant in comparison to what happened with Ranieri's sacking at Leicester.

The rumour mill is flowing, ENIC have got Mourinho in with a view to selling the club, apparently his name ups the appeal. As soon as they qualify for the next CL round, expect some news on it.
Makes sense to me tbh
I heard this too today. Like you, it makes sense whether it's true or not. Mou will up the interest in Asia and he now has a couple of months before the CL knockout stages start to mould the team and improve them. Something that may well be a lot easier than we'd think now that Poch has gone if the level of unrest is as high as some are saying.

Well, beating West Ham is a good start to winning me over (easily my most pleasurable team to beat, sorry to any Hammers on here) but a little disappointing to concede 2 (yeah I'm complaining that they didn't park the bus at 3-0 lol)

Two games, two victories. There is a saying: You know a coach is doing a good job when his team is defending good. On attacking you heavily depend on players creativity and skill, obviously the tactic for the game is also important, but that depends mostly on the formation and the mentality it's implemented on the team in the starting of the season, and success is dependable on the players quality, while defending you depend on the coach game projection to the players, basically, how they should defend: what positions they have to fill, how to fill the positions of there colleges in case of transitions, attack, defense... I believe Tottenham will have a new defense if this keeps going, because Mourinho is too much of an arrogant to even contemplate that the problem might be what his communicating to the players. We're also seeing Mourinho with a new mentality on relationship with the players, never saw Mourinho apologizing for substituting a player. His getting the picture of today's football.

Hoping you all have an exciting last day of the prem guys, it's great for the impartials
Was exciting for roughly one minute, when Murray scored. It went downhill after the minute ended.

But kudos to City. They might be financially doped, but they played well and deserved the title.

Next year should be a hell lot interesting.
That's the only off-putting thing about City for me, the finance fudging, FFP will come down hard on someone soon I think and City or PSG would be my bet.
I like Pep, I Praise a lot of their squad, but I also pull a weird face when having discussions about them lol
So City have been banned from European competition for 2 years!

A perfect Valentine's Day gift from UEFA!

So City have been banned from European competition for 2 years!
Your curse worked 😆.

They have too much financial power now to be banned for this long. I reckon they will win the appeal, and would either be given a suspended sentence or a one season ban at the most.

But I am enjoying the meltdown over at Bluemoon forums. Some whoppers there are even suggesting that Liverpool was the force behind this ban. Daft morons.

But if the ban stays, then I totally expect Guardiola to leave, which would be hilarious.