Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The trick is not minding
And now, the TRULY difficult task of voting. As the rest of you already experienced.
I love all sorts of Westerns and with this HoF we have touched upon, pretty much, all of them. And they've all been very worthwhile examples of each of those styles. Leaving me to ponder and argue with myself which will be first and, finally, the last. Since I've pretty much enjoyed them all for their own styles.

I'll be re-reading my reviews and sending out my vote in a bit.

This is Evil Ed, signing off.
You sure f*cked up the final placements

Here are the final points

Any guesses?? I’ll be doing the reveal when I’m less squished for time.
Close contest. I stand by my original prediction, however.

Here's my guess:
1 The Ox Bow Incident
2 Rio Bravo
3 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
4 The Great Silence
5 The Good The Bad and the Ugly
6 The Cowboys
7 The Salvation
8 The Shooting

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You sure f*cked up the final placements

Here are the final points

Any guesses?? I’ll be doing the reveal when I’m less squished for time.
I am but a blind man with a bulbous steel cane in a room full of mirrors.
Mayhem is inevitable.

Those are incredibly close. I'd love to see how points tallied, especially my final addition to them.

And I'm going with Oxbow for the win or top three. No idea how the rest will play out.

The trick is not minding
Here's my guess:
1 The Ox Bow Incident
2 Rio Bravo
3 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
4 The Great Silence
5 The Good The Bad and the Ugly
6 The Cowboys
7 The Salvation
8 The Shooting
You have The Shooting ranked too low! 😜

Beast of Yucca Flats is up for grabs if we ever do a Worst Movie, I have my sights on another bizarrely crummy 50s sci fi.
That's interesting. I think I would go with Jupiter Ascending. The worst movie I've ever seen, it's so bad I love it. The only love story worse than Twilight.

Some brief thoughts on the noms. I listed them in alphabetical order.

Rio Bravo...rewatch.
It suits my taste, this is my type of movie. I love spending time with characters who interact and have personal drama and growth. It's a melodrama light comedy, light action western...and I like those.

The Cowboys... rewatch.
I've learned to appreciate John Wayne much more lately and this is one of his best films. I especially like the first act at his ranch. And the ending was powerful.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...rewatch.
I considered this one of the great westerns, but on a rewatch I lost some interest in it. While I seen what I considered flaws, I also seen genius. I understand why many love this and I do appreciate other of Sergio Leone's films.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance...rewatch
I've recently watched a number of John Ford westerns and while visually he's the king, his caricatures and broad comedy often lower a film's greatness in my eyes...but not here. With TMWSLV Ford finds the right balance and the right subject matter to fit his style of film making.

The Ox-Bow Incident
...rewatch
Watching this for the HoF was like seeing it for the first time for me. Previously I thought of this as a morality tale, which it clearly is, but for me it's a 'moments' film. By that I mean there are moments that are apart from the story that the director includes to give more realism to the characters, to me that make the characters come alive.

The Salvation (2014)...first watch
I'd tried to watch this a couple years ago but shut it off. Violent revenge stories are not to my liking. But I thought this was run of the mill movie making with a dull story and crummy CG look. If this hadn't had two brand name stars, I would've guessed this was a direct to video movie.

The Shooting (1966)...first watch
Maybe my favorite nom, but not my favorite movie. It was a good choice as it was obscure and yet was very different. I know some think this is a deep reflective movie and maybe it is. But I took it as one of the independent, small budget films that were made by young film makers in the mid-late 1960s. To me it was shooting without a script and winging it. Now if that works for some, then maybe it's genius. But to me it was more interesting, than well done. Still cool to see though.

This has been one of my favorite HoFs. Maybe it's because western movies are my favorite genre Or maybe it's because of the diversity of films and diversity of opinions that we had. Or maybe I liked this HoF because we actually talked, debated and chewed the fat on the noms...and that's something that's been missing lately in HoFs. So big thanks to everyone!
I really liked this post and want to imitate your format. I think it's good to do these short summaries all together after having watched them and give your final thoughts on the HoF overall. I could have sworn I saw your comment on The Great Silence. Maybe you accidentally deleted it when editing the post, or did you forget to include it and I'm just imagining things?

Rio Bravo...rewatch.
I have mixed feelings about this movie. Initially I found it cliche and boring, but I think it's a decent movie. For me the hurdle was the Hollywood format of the writing and the style of the acting.

The Cowboys... first watch.
This one felt a little out of place to me. At times I felt bored, but there were some things I liked about it. I think it was a little too self-indulgent of a film. The reality of such a situation is that things probably wouldn't have ended so smoothly for those kids. They might have pulled it off, but I expect some of them would have perished in the final battle if they even ever would have had the ability to work up the nerve to do it in the first place. Overall it felt underwhelming compared to the rest of the movies in this HoF.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...rewatch.
I also have mixed feelings about this movie. Initially I just hated it, but I'm gradually starting to notice more of its merits. I'll probably tone down my aggressive bashing of the movie and eventually find some more mellow middle ground. I liked what Ed said about the movie, I think it shows that he's reflected a lot on it for decades and many watches. At first I was trying to point out every flaw I possibly could, but that got pretty tiring. It's a long movie and to pause it and take notes after every scene is a lot of work. Besides the ending I think there was one other major scene I should have discussed more, and that's the scene where Blonde hears where the gold is from the dying man. The way that he snuck around while crawling on the ground didn't make sense just because he was out of camera. But, I get that the campiness is a big part of the movie. It's just a little hard for me to understand how people can consider a movie so great when it's so silly, but I guess I kind of understand it now at least.

The Great Silence...rewatch.
Watching this again helped put it into perspective. It's diminished somewhat since my first watch due to the campiness of the Sheriff who's comedic role felt awkward in an otherwise dark and gritty serious environment. I don't know if I can believe muting someone by slitting their throat like that, and some of the shooting stunts were pretty unrealistic. I still like the movie a lot, but I'm glad I can see it more clearly now. I think the first time I watched it I was more impacted because I'd never seen a gritty dark Western from this period before and was used to 60's movies being more of the John Wayne format. Also, there are actually three endings. There is one where the good guys win, one where the bad guys win, and one that is ambiguous.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance...first watch.
This was better than I was expecting. I think it's the only John Wayne Western I've ever actually thoroughly enjoyed. It did have a the Hollywood style of acting that I don't like, but the quality of the writing made up for it.

The Ox-Bow Incident...first watch.
In spite of one flaw in the drunk acting I thought this was a great movie. They say that a great movie gives two arguments well, and this movie did exactly that. But what it also did masterfully was demonstrate the consequences of actions, and in that sense it was very realistic. This also had a little bit of the Hollywood style that I don't like, but it did even that so well that I can't hold that against it and really didn't mind the style here.

The Salvation (2014)...first watch.
The beginning setup for the revenge felt too forced. The Walking Dead was too obviously copied. The stars did deliver, but it wasn't enough to save the script. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it was just mediocre. Even the action wasn't entertaining for me.

The Shooting (1966)...first watch.
The more I think about the psychology of the movie as we've been discussing Millie Perkins' character, the more I'm impressed by this movie and want to watch it again. I felt that all of the actors really got into their characters and were so well directed, and what a phenomenal script.

Edit: Overall I guess I had a lot of mixed feelings about the HoF. I'm glad I participated, and glad I finished. I was feeling pretty discouraged for a while.

The ego on you.
You were flat out condescending towards me when you suggested “I couldn’t comprehend a film”.
Then Suggested I had an ego when I responded you were being condescending.
You’re a hypocrite who just won’t stop. A guy who complains about being libeled who libels others . You could have just let it go, instead you resort to childish posts aimed at provoking others.
Seriously, you’re just a pretentious child, who apparently needs to have the last word.
I’ve known 10 year olds with more maturity.
Go ahead with a final post if you so need to. Play the innocent card. And then play the victim card. It’s pattern with you. So go ahead.
It’ll just prove my point.
I wasn't being condescending. I've read your comments on the film and I genuinely think there are some things that you don't understand about yourself and the movie. It's nothing to get upset over. I'm not saying you don't understand the movie at all. But you have been pretty arrogant, and to get upset when I wasn't even actually insulting you does hint that there is an unresolved issue there. It's fine if you don't want to admit it. But you have insulted me many times and criticised me very harshly, so it's pretty hypocritical to get so upset over the slightest suggestion that you're not perfect and may have some flaws like the rest of us mere mortals. You don't know me, so stop acting like you do.

I really don't care what you say about me. In our very first interaction ever you were so extremely rude to me that I had to just ignore you for a while. If you'll be reasonable I don't mind talking to you, and I forgive you, but I'm not worried about how you'll respond to what I say. I stand by what I'm saying, and I'm perfectly calm and have no aggression towards you. I don't know why you're so hostile, but at this point I could go back and make a long list of very aggressive insulting hurtful things that you've said to me that I think would shock many people. I have never in my whole life had such hostility on a forum from someone I have barely interacted with. There are only two other people I know that are so quick to throw harsh accusations and insults at other people, and both of them have been in and out of jail and were abused when they were children. Now, I don't know you, I don't know your story, and to be quite frank I don't really care.

All of the things you're criticising me for are things you yourself are doing, and you just don't have the self-awareness to see it. I just feel sorry for you. You want to act civil, then we can talk, you want to insult me, then I can just go back to ignoring you. This drama is pointless and absurd, and I don't need any stress in my life from the likes of you.

So I wish you all the best. Have a nice life. I hope you deal with your issues. Come talk to me if you feel like being civil again.

The trick is not minding
The ego on you.
You were flat out condescending towards me when you suggested “I couldn’t comprehend a film”.
Then Suggested I had an ego when I responded you were being condescending.
You’re a hypocrite who just won’t stop. A guy who complains about being libeled who libels others . You could have just let it go, instead you resort to childish posts aimed at provoking others.
Seriously, you’re just a pretentious child, who apparently needs to have the last word.
I’ve known 10 year olds with more maturity.
Go ahead with a final post if you so need to. Play the innocent card. And then play the victim card. It’s pattern with you. So go ahead.
It’ll just prove my point.
I wasn't being condescending. I've read your comments on the film and I genuinely think there are some things that you don't understand about yourself and the movie. It's nothing to get upset over. I'm not saying you don't understand the movie at all. But you have been pretty arrogant, and to get upset when I wasn't even actually insulting you does hint that there is an unresolved issue there. It's fine if you don't want to admit it. But you have insulted me many times and criticised me very harshly, so it's pretty hypocritical to get so upset over the slightest suggestion that you're not perfect and may have some flaws like the rest of us mere mortals. You don't know me, so stop acting like you do.

I really don't care what you say about me. In our very first interaction ever you were so extremely rude to me that I had to just ignore you for a while. If you'll be reasonable I don't mind talking to you, and I forgive you, but I'm not worried about how you'll respond to what I say. I stand by what I'm saying, and I'm perfectly calm and have no aggression towards you. I don't know why you're so hostile, but at this point I could go back and make a long list of very aggressive insulting hurtful things that you've said to me that I think would shock many people. I have never in my whole life had such hostility on a forum from someone I have barely interacted with. There are only two other people I know that are so quick to throw harsh accusations and insults at other people, and both of them have been in and out of jail and were abused when they were children. Now, I don't know you, I don't know your story, and to be quite frank I don't really care.

All of the things you're criticising me for are things you yourself are doing, and you just don't have the self-awareness to see it. I just feel sorry for you. You want to act civil, then we can talk, you want to insult me, then I can just go back to ignoring you. This drama is pointless and absurd, and I don't need any stress in my life from the likes of you.

So I wish you all the best. Have a nice life. I hope you deal with your issues. Come talk to me if you feel like being civil again.
Oh how you amuse me. Sorry. I got a good laugh at how “pointless and absurd” it is yet you took the time to write this all out. Of course you could have just let it go, like most adults. But you chose not to.
Guess I struck a nerve.

Ah, but what am I doing? Other then laughing at this whole thing. It is pretty petty and I’m partly to blame for this whole mess. I should have listened long ago and ignored your incessant messages indicative of a high superiority complex. But really, if one looks deeper, they can see a more troubling issue at the root of your behavior. People like you are easy to spot a mile away.
Zotis, I wish you no ill, and no further aggression. I’ve forgiven you for your transgressions against me.
I’ve come to understand you are just suffering from some possible emotional imbalance. I hope you seek the help you so desperately need.
Enjoy your life, Zotis. And get the help you so badly need.

My guess:
1. Liberty Valance
2. Ox Bow
3. TGtBatU
4. The Shooting
5. The Great Silence
6. Rio Bravo
7. The Cowboys
8. Salvation

or something like that. Tough one to figure out with 7 points separating 1st from 5th

The trick is not minding
My guess:
1. Liberty Valance
2. Ox Bow
3. TGtBatU
4. The Shooting
5. The Great Silence
6. Rio Bravo
7. The Cowboys
8. Salvation

or something like that. Tough one to figure out with 7 points separating 1st from 5th
I must be the only one who enjoyed The Salvation. 🤷

8. The Salvation (2014)
Nominated by: Siddon
22 Points (5,5,4,3,2,1,1,1)

7. The Cowboys (1972)
Nominated by: edarsenal
23 Points (5,5,4,2,2,2,1)

6. The Shooting (1966)
Nominated by: Hey Fredrick
28 Points (8,7,3,3,3,2,1,1)

Two very high votes carried this one from last place.

5. The Great Silence (1968)
Nominated by: Zotis
39 Points (8,7,7,6,5,3,2,1)