Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Rio Bravo

Excellent! I'm loving John Wayne more each time I see him. He has a subtle but effective way of acting. He doesn't exactly tell us what's going on, and what his character motivations are, but we're left to interpret them.

And speaking of that, I've finally come across a Western that prioritizes heavy dialogue and strong characters over gun violence and silly moments of dramatic suspense. Rio Bravo does have moments like that, but it doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of other Westerns do.

Overall, just a charming and quite amazing watch!

exactly. It had great dialogue and the violence (shoot outs) that occurred were not just quick draw action, but actual strategy and out-thinking the other fella. Gotta really appreciate that.

VERY happy to hear you both enjoyed it.
Quite agree with all that was said. It does give John Wayne a more tender side when it comes to his wife and how he takes care of the kids under his watch. And yes, Bruce Dern is an EXCELLENT villain. Just all out menacing.

I've always considered this as very true to the essence of a good western and glad to see some love for it.
Now I feel like watching more John Wayne.................and Bruce Dern!

Rio Bravo
... I've finally come across a Western that prioritizes heavy dialogue and strong characters over gun violence and silly moments of dramatic suspense. Rio Bravo does have moments like that, but it doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of other Westerns do...
This is an interesting bit of info from IMDB's trivia page on Rio Bravo:
Howard Hawks' first movie in four years which was the longest hiatus of his career. It was during this period while living in Europe that he saw how popular western television shows had become, and realized that audiences cared more about the characters, than the plots to the shows. This is where the idea for this movie started to form. Rather than making a movie that centered around one main plot, he decided he wanted to make a completely character driven western with several story-lines running through it simultaneously. The studio bosses refused but instantly changed their minds when Hawks told them he was casting John Wayne as the lead.
And I tend to like character driven films in general myself. In fact I have one in mind for the next western HoF II.

Rio Bravo
... I've finally come across a Western that prioritizes heavy dialogue and strong characters over gun violence and silly moments of dramatic suspense. Rio Bravo does have moments like that, but it doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of other Westerns do...
This is an interesting bit of info from IMDB's trivia page on Rio Bravo:
Howard Hawks' first movie in four years which was the longest hiatus of his career. It was during this period while living in Europe that he saw how popular western television shows had become, and realized that audiences cared more about the characters, than the plots to the shows. This is where the idea for this movie started to form. Rather than making a movie that centered around one main plot, he decided he wanted to make a completely character driven western with several story-lines running through it simultaneously. The studio bosses refused but instantly changed their minds when Hawks told them he was casting John Wayne as the lead.
And I tend to like character driven films in general myself. In fact I have one in mind for the next western HoF II.
I read that too, and it totally shows in the movie. The script was also smart as a whip, which is uncommon for a Western (in my opinion).

Moves like this and the Good the Bad and the Ugly are slowly beginning to open me up to Westerns.

Are you hosting the next Westerns?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

An absolute blast, I loved all three hours!

I just said that "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" was my second favorite Western of all time. Well that's been bumped down to third now, because this movie is now my current favorite.

Acting was great, cinematography was great, and even the screenplay was pretty damn good for a Western.

Well done, Leone!

+

I recently rewatched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the upcoming Westerns List. I'm still not a fan of the movie, but it was better than the last time I watched it.

But here's a weird aside: After I watched it, I had a dream that Clint Eastwood's character made it through the walk through the desert by seeing mirages of Baby Yoda giving him advice on how to survive. (I haven't even seen an episode of "The Mandalorian" yet, but Baby Yoda's image is everywhere, so I guess it just stuck in my mind.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Now I feel like watching more John Wayne.................and Bruce Dern!

I recently watched Posse (1975) starring Kirk Douglas and Bruce Dern. It didn't really get interesting until about an hour into the movie, but by then, I was already bored with the movie. I thought it was only okay, but maybe you'll like it more than I did.

I recently rewatched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the upcoming Westerns List. I'm still not a fan of the movie, but it was better than the last time I watched it.

But here's a weird aside: After I watched it, I had a dream that Clint Eastwood's character made it through the walk through the desert by seeing mirages of Baby Yoda giving him advice on how to survive. (I haven't even seen an episode of "The Mandalorian" yet, but Baby Yoda's image is everywhere, so I guess it just stuck in my mind.)

Um, wow. interesting dream?

VERY happy to hear you both enjoyed it.
Quite agree with all that was said. It does give John Wayne a more tender side when it comes to his wife and how he takes care of the kids under his watch. And yes, Bruce Dern is an EXCELLENT villain. Just all out menacing.

I've always considered this as very true to the essence of a good western and glad to see some love for it.
The Cowboys is one of my very few favorite westerns and one of my favorite movies overall (since I never liked westerns!)

Another amazing aspect of this film is the cinematography - the wide vistas (great when viewing in letterbox) and the John Williams score!

I had this on a DVD set and it had one of the most interesting extras - discussing the making of the film.

Most of the boys in it were not actors (except for Carradine - his film debut & Martinez), but were hired for their horse-riding ability! Yet their acting turned out great. And many of their real-life parents played their parents in the film.

And I loved the story of how Bruce Dern terrorized the boy (unintentionally) on the set that he terrorized in the movie - Dern was so convincing, that after filming their scene, it was said the boy couldn't even look at Dern and didn't want to go near him!

The Cowboys

A fun film I guess. I didn't love it and it's my least favorite John Wayne movie so far, but it had some good qualities.

I wish the characters were more well fleshed out. All the boys were very forgettable and there were too many to really get attached to them.

The first half was probably a 1/5, but it definitely picked up, and the last half turned out to be quite good. Just wish it were more consistent.

+

The Cowboys

A fun film I guess. I didn't love it and it's my least favorite John Wayne movie so far, but it had some good qualities.

I wish the characters were more well fleshed out. All the boys were very forgettable and there were too many to really get attached to them.

The first half was probably a 1/5, but it definitely picked up, and the last half turned out to be quite good. Just wish it were more consistent.

+
This may sound horrible, but one of the reasons I liked it so much is...
WARNING: "Spoil" spoilers below
John Wayne is killed 3/4 of the way through! This was just unthinkable at the time and caught the audience by surprise. Bruce Dern reported he was still getting hate mail 37 years later for "killing John Wayne"!

A good surprise that deviates from formula makes for a good movie.

John Wayne is killed 3/4 of the way through! This was just unthinkable at the time and caught the audience by surprise. Bruce Dern reported he was still getting hate mail 37 years later for "killing John Wayne"!

That did catch me by surprise and was a great part of the movie! That entire scene was almost like a Coen Brothers thriller, it was totally not what I was expecting.

That did catch me by surprise and was a great part of the movie! That entire scene was almost like a Coen Brothers thriller, it was totally not what I was expecting.
It definitely made for a more incredible climax. Even more so for today's standards for the final shootout.

The Cowboys is one of my very few favorite westerns and one of my favorite movies overall (since I never liked westerns!)

Another amazing aspect of this film is the cinematography - the wide vistas (great when viewing in letterbox) and the John Williams score!

I had this on a DVD set and it had one of the most interesting extras - discussing the making of the film.

Most of the boys in it were not actors (except for Carradine - his film debut & Martinez), but were hired for their horse-riding ability! Yet their acting turned out great. And many of their real-life parents played their parents in the film.

And I loved the story of how Bruce Dern terrorized the boy (unintentionally) on the set that he terrorized in the movie - Dern was so convincing, that after filming their scene, it was said the boy couldn't even look at Dern and didn't want to go near him!
I had read that in IMDb since I've always thought that they were trained because pretty much all of them KNEW what they were doing. Rather enjoyed reading about that. In fact, one of the boys grew up to be a top rodeo rider.

I had read that in IMDb since I've always thought that they were trained because pretty much all of them KNEW what they were doing. Rather enjoyed reading about that. In fact, one of the boys grew up to be a top rodeo rider.
Yes! The IMBb trivia said most of them were already involved in the rodeo circuit before the movie was made.

I remember watching the TV series that came from the movie (which kept Carradine & Martinez... and maybe a couple other boys from the from the movie?)
I was very enthused for it. It was okay, but it just wasn't the same without the original Mr. Nightlinger (Roscoe Lee Brown) and obviously didn't have the intensity of the film.
And since I could never stand any TV westerns (even worse than movie westerns), I didn't watch for long... but it only lasted 1 season.

I'll watch The Good The Bad and The Ugly next. Then I'll basically be done as I'm holding off on watching The Great Silence until the very end of the HoF. I want to make sure it's still in the HoF and I've seen it already too.

@Zotis you still participating? I just watched Great Silence, I’ll have a review up soon.

Great Silence IS on my rewatch list, so I'll try to see it all the same. I have Who Shot Liberty Valance to write up next. I do need to play catch up on the Japanese HoF so I'll be knocking a few them out.

The trick is not minding
I should be able to knock 2 of them out this week.
The shooting is available on Amazon video, and I own The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
Going to the local rental this week to see what they have available for the other 5.
I like this particular HOF. The Great Silence, The Shooting and The Salvation were unknown to me so it’ll be interesting to watch them.
Especially The Great Silence. Ever since I learned of Django from Corbucci, I’ve been interest in it. (A full decade now I think? Availability was always an issue).
Since I’m not familiar with his work at all, Silence will be a nice introduction