Films where actor plays more than one character

Tools    

The above examples are a bit more straightforward, so I’m not sure that this one is relevant, but it’s certainly one that completely blew my mind once I realised Mia Goth was playing both characters.

The confusing example is Paul Dano in There Will be Blood.

Confusing as in, never made sense as to why PTA made that decision and the first time I watched it, was unclear if it was supposed to be two actual human beings.
Could you elaborate? By “that decision” you mean why he decided to have twin characters? I think that performance by Dano is one of the best of all time (seriously). Granted, I have a certain weakness for well-executed cult leader characters, with bonus points for a good old-fashioned fit of possession/religious zeal, but I think as far as creative decisions go, it makes perfect sense (PTA’s going full Jekyll-and-Hyde with Eli and Paul). I don’t really see how you can think they’re the same person (if that’s what you meant RE “two actual human beings”?).

God, that’s made me want to rewatch it now.

That thing scared the $#&% out of me when I was a kid.

He was vicious little bastard. Fast too!

As an adult, you realize that the poor thing has poorly fitted plastic dentures that vaguely look like they're made out of felt, a runaway Muppet. And yet... ...my ankles still twitch and sweat when I think that little doll.

Could you elaborate? By “that decision” you mean why he decided to have twin characters? I think that performance by Dano is one of the best of all time (seriously). Granted, I have a certain weakness for well-executed cult leader characters, with bonus points for a good old-fashioned fit of possession/religious zeal, but I think as far as creative decisions go, it makes perfect sense (PTA’s going full Jekyll-and-Hyde with Eli and Paul). I don’t really see how you can think they’re the same person (if that’s what you meant RE “two actual human beings”?).

God, that’s made me want to rewatch it now.
Well, it's been a little while since I've seen the movie, but Eli's barely in the movie. But I mean, on the first viewing, where Paul is introduced, since no one comments on their similar appearance, it creates a moment of confusion for the viewer. No one mentions they're twins. I find it an odd choice. Given how little Eli factors into the story beyond that, the usual "twins" compare/contrast also doesn't really come into play. Other than, in Daniel's view, Eli was the smart one.

I'm actually gonna call this one as being on the fence.
Is it one movie? Yes, officially. But it's a trilogy of three separate and unrelated stories wherein Karen Black stars in each. It's slightly different than when an actor portrays multiple characters within the same story.

Why does this matter?
It totally doesn't. I just enjoy commenting on totally inconsequential minutia.
I gotta go with the Captain on this one. The trilogy was three separate stories in which Black played a single character.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Mars Attacks - Nicholson plays at least 2 different characters

Also the first Jumanji: Jonathan Hyde as the father and Van Pelt the hunter

And I don't know if it would count, but the first three Spider-Man movies - Bruce Campbell is a ring announcer in the first one, an usher in the second and a Maître d' in the third.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Mars Attacks - Nicholson plays at least 2 different characters

Also the first Jumanji: Jonathan Hyde as the father and Van Pelt the hunter

And I don't know if it would count, but the first three Spider-Man movies - Bruce Campbell is a ring announcer in the first one, an usher in the second and a Maître d' in the third.

Nicholson's dual role in Mars Attacks was wonderful...two very distinct characters,

The only ones I can think of are comedies.

Dunno if mentioned before, but Tilda Swinton played 4 characters in Teknolust (2002), 3 of whom are her clones.It is quite a bizarre movie by the way, and very good.

For me, these are pretty interesting films. I believe that in this way the actor can reveal himself to the fullest and show all his acting skills.