The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah they've kinda sunset it on console. Still supported but ain't getting any of the new shiny :/

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
noooooo!!!!! I was seriously considering PSVR2 as my jumping off point, but I'm not too thrilled with the game library at this point and had hoped Elite Dangerous would be an obvious selling point. I can't even find EVE: Valkyrie on the PSN even for just a campaign option. sigh.

The PC has great ram, but the GFX card was a cheap filler from BestBuy years ago. I doubt it would handle VR and I'm not eager to replace it with the cost of a decent VR setup too. grrr.

ok thanks for the heads-up!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
Green Hell

Easily the best survival title I have played since The Long Dark. Green Hell plops you down in the middle of the Amazon jungle, and true to its title, it's one hell of an experience. Beautiful game, but quite challenging, even on a middle difficulty setting. This game leans heavily on the survival aspects, with four different nutrient meters to maintain, along with a a sanity meter, energy and stamina bars.

An example of an early run went something like this: Wake up in the jungle, memory fuzzy, with nothing but the clothes on my back. WTF, I had a machete in the tutorial! Wander around for a few minutes, pick up a few sticks, a couple of Brazil nuts, and a piece of vine, which I fashion into a rope. Oops, some damn thing bit me...now I have a fever and I am starting to get really thirsty. Hey, I found a rock. Another bit of wandering and I reach a little stream. That water looks really good, but I probably shouldn't drink it. Fart around in my backpack for a few minutes, examine my notebook to see if I know how to craft anything useful, manage to make a very primitive stone axe with a stick, a rope and a rock.

Cross the stream and almost walk into a snake that is poised to strike - that was a close one. Up a hill while pushing through some palm fronds...now I have a rash. I see the sanity meter tick and get a warning I have a leech on me. Examine my limbs and find two of the little bastards lunching on my leg. I manage to get those off of me, but the sanity meter is still ticking a bit due to the rash. Man, I am really thirsty now.

Cross a ravine on a log and pass through a pretty glade with some sort of animals running around. Clearly a food source, but all I have is a rock tied to a stick, and I really need to figure out how to get some water. My health has dropped quite a bit at this point due to the fever, and my energy is pretty low. I haven't found a good spot to get a shelter going yet, let alone started to construct one. Up ahead I see some sort of structure...looks like some sort of abandoned tribal village... it is! I find a partial map, a bone knife, and instructions on how to make ayahuasca - Hallucinogens...just what I need! The sun is starting to set, and my protein levels are getting very low, so my energy gauge is really tanking now. Was that a voice I just heard? Weird.

Almost dark. I quickly skim my notebook and get t work trying to build the quickest and most rudimentary shelter available. I set up some sticks and start whacking away at short palm trees to get some fronds. Ok, that was definitely a voice I heard. Was that me talking? I don't think I am alone out here... Energy levels almost to zero...suddenly a native charges out of the jungle towards me! I swing my rock stick wildly. Ha! I hit him...Wait...he vanishes into vapor. I shouldn't have drank that ayahuasca. Wait, I didn't even make that stuff yet. Sanity meter is in the red. Definitely hearing voices now. Uh oh...passing out.

I wake up in the wee hours. Something is wrong with my arm...something is under my skin. I think it's moving... throat is bone dry. I stagger around in the jungle, looking for something, anything to drink or eat to help quench my thirst. The stream gurgles nearby. Screw it, I need water. Sllllurrrrp. Ack! Now I have parasites. Health almost to zero now. I hear growling and spin around to see a jaguar approaching in a crouch... Man, I hope that is a hallucination.

It wasn't.

Anyway - The game is currently on sale on Steam and supports multiplayer! Come on @Yoda let's play!

Hahaha. Yeahhhh, I dunno. Maybe?

I saw some people playing it on YouTube. Seems wild. No pun intended.
Let me know if you end up giving it a shot!

Di je Karlo?
I'm playing through C&C3: Tiberium Wars. Solid game. Much harder than I expected. The Scrin airforce is kicking my ass. The mission design is better than I expected, but gameplay-wise it's a step down from generals. Still need to play Tiberian Sun and the Red Alert games.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I hear growling and spin around to see a jaguar approaching in a crouch... Man, I hope that is a hallucination.

It wasn't.
Oh they made a VR version of this.

Currently too terrified to purchase

(I already own The Forest in VR, and currently to terrified to even boot it up )

Card Shark is a lot of fun if you like little indie games.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Redfall doesn't look anywhere near a game worth $70.
dunno about full retail price, but it gives me Bioshock vibes and that is a good thing! I have too many other titles to burn through before looking at new stuff though. I had not heard of this so thanks for the reference.

In other news, I haven't had much time for a long while to play. I did, however, manage to wedge in an hour or so with Journey this weekend. This game is still very magical and I can't help but get all tripped up in emotion watching the opening sequences, now that I recognize the meaning in all the little bits here and there. I've even bumped into two other players so it's warming to see others still putting time into this loverly title.

Oh they made a VR version of this.

Currently too terrified to purchase

(I already own The Forest in VR, and currently to terrified to even boot it up )
Yea, the game already startled me several times, which in VR, would have been heart attack material.

Anyhoo - Finished up the first story mode, which was quite a bit better than I expected. I understand there is a DLC which is sort of a prequel to the one I just finished, so I will check that out also. While the story in say, The Forest seemed tacked on, this was pretty immersive and well-written with quite a bit of voice acting etc. By the time I was done, I was ready to push the difficulty up, so I started an endless survival game on that higher setting. I will check out the rest of the story mode eventually, but wanted to test the game out on hard mode.

Really fun and challenging survival game; the environment is really well-done, as well.

I've been playing an older game, The Talos Principle, which I'd describe as a cross between Portal and a philosophical game like Dear Esther. The puzzles are challenging, have decent variety, and the ancient Greece meets the distant future aesthetic is always satisfying to take in. The ancillary parts of the game like having to interact with a UNIX server are a bit obtuse and it's not clear what they're building up to, but it's nice to finally find a game after many months that I want to play rather than one I feel like I have to play, if you know what I mean.

You ready? You look ready.
Reached the end of chapter 12 in FF7. Not ready for it to end. Unsure what I will start next: The Last of Us series or Uncharted.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Reached the end of chapter 12 in FF7. Not ready for it to end. Unsure what I will start next: The Last of Us series or Uncharted.
How far into the full story does the remake go?

You ready? You look ready.
How far into the full story does the remake go?
End of Midgar, so about a third of the way through disc 1 of the original. Of course they beefed it up and, for the most part, it is really well done. Some parts are super cheese, tho.

Funnily enough, I loved Aerith before I started it. Now I can't stand her at all.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Really excited to hear The Case of the Golden Idol is getting a little DLC this week. Instabuy.
What do you like about The Case of the Golden Idol? Steam currently has it on sale, so I figured I'd ask.

What do you like about The Case of the Golden Idol? Steam currently has it on sale, so I figured I'd ask.
Deductive reasoning puzzle game, in the vein of Return of the Obra Dinn. Avocative, creepy art style is good, too, but mostly the deductive reasoning stuff.