Favorite "Chick Flicks"

Tools    

Being the new girl here, I was looking for a favorite list of girl movies and couldn't find one. Forgive me if there is a thread like this elsewhere.

Here are my favorite "girl movies" in no order.
Except for Pride and Prejudice... that is my favorite movie ever.

Pride and Prejudice (BBC and Kiera K. version)
Ever After - A Cinderella Story
The Princess Bride
Sense and Sensibility
Emma
True Women
The Notebook
Sweet Home Alabama
Mona Lisa Smile
How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Never Been Kissed

That's a pretty good list. A lot of my fav girl movies are probably actually family films - like Ella Enchanted and The Parent Trap

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
I like

Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Shakespeare In Love
Whats Love Got to do With It
The Virgin Suicides
Thirteen
Clueless
Ghost
Titanic
The Princess Bride

Don't know if they are all considered chick flicks but they are all pretty sweet in my book...

Forgive me if there is a thread like this elsewhere.
I do forgive you, and there are a couple existing threads such as THIS ONE and THIS ONE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Chick flicks like romance or date movies is what you mean, right?
Practical Magic
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Princess Bride
The Truth About Cats & Dogs
Say Anything

Lost in never never land
I have to say that Pride and Prejudice (both versions as well) are some of my favorite chick flicks. I also like Atonement a lot, even though I don't know if that qualifies completely, and Enchanted.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Yes - this is what I was shooting for. There's some movies I can watch over and over - and my husband couldn't. They are mostly romance/date type of movies.

I will have to pull up my collecton and add to this list. These were just off the top of my head.

Thanks for posting the other threads!

I'm trying to expand this area of my movies!

I'm the type of girl.....
Some of my favorites are:

The Princess Bride
The Notebook
A Walk To Remember
Ghost
Say Anything
How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
Never Been Kissed

Since I've already posted my favorite romance movies over on this other "Chick Flick" thread,
for this reply, here are some "chick flicks" that aren't necessarily romance films & can easily be liked by us guys without making our any of our macho pimp-asses seem any less hairy
.... by much:

5. A League Of Their Pwn
In a game mostly associated with male players, it's ironic that a film which focuses on the women's first professional entry into the sport, would be the one that, for me, truly captures the feeling which best reflects of why this sport is truly an American pasttime: that the purpose of a game is, no matter how the global scale of political events may be turbulently transpiring, we can all just escape for a little while by catching a ballgame. And hopefully, in the end, return into the real world with our spirits a little bit higher & our perspectives a little bit clearer. Because, as we all know by now,
there is no crying in baseball.

4. Ghost World
While I had seen Scarlett Johansson before in other movies, this was the first one where I had actually "fallen in love" with her.
I always liked Dan Clowes' comics. His work definitely subscribed to the idea of having a "style that was all his own". And for my money, this style fits in even more effectively in the medium of film than it does in the comicbook version of what is known as the "alternative" genre (a genre that his printed works mold into quite successfully). Dan Clowes' movies bring a well-welcomed shot of something new & different to watch just as effectively as his comics bring to the experience of reading.

3. Fried Green Tomatos
I like mine with a touch of salt & a dash of tobasco sauce.
No fava beans or chianti.
From what i understand, that goes with something else.

2. Whale Rider
An island heritage that is already desperately trying to hold onto it's own identity, finds itself even more challenged when a little girl tries desperately to fit into it in a manner that would break one if it's fundamental "rules". For, in order to triumph, she must dispel the ages old belief that to achieve the mantle of a chieftain, one must be a male. And in the process, she ends up making both that old tradition and a pack of whales, her b#tchez.
Yay for Girl Power!

1. Joy Luck Club

The year that this film was released, I had a girlfriend who liked to go out with me, but only when she planned it & was in control of the date. On one week-end night, I was supposed to go see Joy Luck Club with her, but since it was at my suggestion, she, as always, phoned me to tell that she felt like maybe she was (conveniently) coming down with something. Now don't get me wrong, she wanted us to see this film, just not at my suggestion (I'll skip any psycho-analyzations as to why she was always like this).
Well I had finally had it, so I called her bluff, & told her that if there was a chance she'd get sick or somethin', we should just call the whole night off.
Before she could respond, I hung up the phone & then went to go see this movie by myself, more to piss her off than anything else.
By the time this stunningly moving, mother-daughter generation-crossing epic-fare was over, my hairy pimp-ass found it quite difficult to refrain from repeatingly dabbing at that "something in my eye" that seemed annoyingly persistent during the final two sob-strewn scenes. Because of my gf, there I was sitting alone in a theatre, effeminately misty-eyed over a god@mn chick-flick.
Right there & then, I knew that my relationship with my then-girlfriend was over.
Cuz no one makes me cry my own tears.
No one.

i cant beleive no one said love actually

i cant beleive no one said love actually

I believe it's been listed (not by me) a few times in the numerous other "Chick flick" threads....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I do not have a fav - but I'll name the ones I liked that no one has named already. the thing about chick flicks is that they fall into so many different categories:

Anything by Sandra Bullock!

Girl, Interrupted
Titanic
Eve's Bayou
Much Ado About Nothing
Meet Joe Black
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
The First Wives Club
City of Angels
The Color Purple
Romy & Michele's High School Reunion
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Girlfight
G.I.Jane

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wow. I thought a chick flick was something along the lines of Audrey Hepburn's Sabrina or Love in the Afternoon; maybe even Kate Hepburn's Summertime. I realize that chick flicks have existed in the last 50 years, but how about some appreciation for the classics? Obviously, Now, Voyager, Hold Back the Dawn, To Each His Own, Stella Dallas, Imitation of Life, Dark Victory and maybe even Gone With the Wind are all chick flicks.

Movie Forums Extra
I'm not a fan of chick flicks, but I have to say that The Notebook was very good for a chick flick.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Not sure if these are ones but all 3 american pie movies?

martian leader

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Kate & Leopold for me. Love this film.

I would only reveal this to you guys but:

Titanic
The Notebook
the Holiday
PS I love you

andddd

I recently saw What happens in vegas and thought it was really well done.

Hairspray
27 Dresses
13 Going On 30
Just Like Heaven
What Women Want

Registered Creature
I've seen a lot of chick flicks before, and a few I've actually enjoyed.

The Princess Bride.
Clueless.
Mean Girls.
Suddenly 30/13 going on 30.
Never Been Kissed.
Sixteen Candles.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Love Don't Cost a Thing.
Legally Blonde. (First one only)